Colorado Countdown!!

Started by gdbaby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MileHighCajn said:
My dad is a PhD and does well for himself financially. The key is to go into something you REALLY like and your performance will show in research/teaching. The better you are at research and in teaching helps in tenure track, which is almost PERMANENT.
Yes, an academic career is definitely good from the job stability perspective, unlike in industry, where a PhD degree sometimes becomes a liability because you are considered as being too specialized and not very adaptable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RxnMan said:
You can also try PHD Comics

Just a week left. How about a puzzle for everyone?

What values of of x and y allows x^y = y^x, where x =/= y ?

-2 and -4.

What about ∞ and any number =/= -1, 0, or 1?
 
2 and 4 were the ones I had thought of, but their negatives make sense as well. I should have said "integers" instead of "values" to remove the infinity answers. shortyganoush and Starvin Marvin, do you have any good puzzles to keep our minds off of decisions we may, or may not, have to make?
 
RxnMan said:
2 and 4 were the ones I had thought of, but their negatives make sense as well. I should have said "integers" instead of "values" to remove the infinity answers. shortyganoush and Starvin Marvin, do you have any good puzzles to keep our minds off of decisions we may, or may not, have to make?
OMG--I am an anthropologist!! If we are going to do puzzles, can we have some that are non-math oriented?!?! I am going to do the NYT crossword right now just to make myself feel better after the above puzzle (I time myself on Mon-Wed and if I finish the Friday puzzle, I buy myself a piece of cake)!
 
gdbaby said:
OMG--I am an anthropologist!! If we are going to do puzzles, can we have some that are non-math oriented?!?! I am going to do the NYT crossword right now just to make myself feel better after the above puzzle (I time myself on Mon-Wed and if I finish the Friday puzzle, I buy myself a piece of cake)!
No reason to exclude one (or some) from our fun.

Off the top of my head: Every side of my four-sided house faces north. A bear walks by. What color is it?

Or: What is a 9-letter word pertaining to motion?

For the math folks: There are three posts arranged in a line. On the left one there are 26 disks (think like a record on a record player) stacked on top of each other, shrinking in size/diameter from bottom to top (think like a pyramid). If you cannot place a larger disk on a smaller one, then how long does it take to transfer all disks from the left-hand post to the right?
 
RxnMan said:
No reason to exclude one (or some) from our fun.

Off the top of my head: Every side of my four-sided house faces north. A bear walks by. What color is it?

Or: What is a 9-letter word pertaining to motion?

For the math folks: There are three posts arranged in a line. On the left one there are 26 disks (think like a record on a record player) stacked on top of each other, shrinking in size/diameter from bottom to top (think like a pyramid). If you cannot place a larger disk on a smaller one, then how long does it take to transfer all disks from the left-hand post to the right?

All sides facing north?? HAHA! RxnMan ur so crazy! The only way THAT would happen would be if the house was on the BOTTOM of the earth, and a white polar bear walked by!...
by the beard of zeus....
 
gdbaby said:
OMG--I am an anthropologist!! If we are going to do puzzles, can we have some that are non-math oriented?!?! I am going to do the NYT crossword right now just to make myself feel better after the above puzzle (I time myself on Mon-Wed and if I finish the Friday puzzle, I buy myself a piece of cake)!

Hey there gdbaby,

You had mentioned that you were thinking about volunteering at the Body Worlds 2 display at DMNS - are you doing that? Several nurses I work with recieved free passes for being healthcare workers. Us EMS personnel were not so fortunate. I was thinking that you could prop open a back door somewhere, cause a distraction, and let me in for a 'discount'. Whatchu think?
:meanie:
 
JayQuah said:
All sides facing north?? HAHA! RxnMan ur so crazy! The only way THAT would happen would be if the house was on the BOTTOM of the earth, and a white polar bear walked by!...
by the beard of zeus....
By Odin's ravens! It was a trick question! Polar bears only live in the Artic, not the Antarctic. There was no answer.

Next!
 
medicalbound said:
Hey there gdbaby,

You had mentioned that you were thinking about volunteering at the Body Worlds 2 display at DMNS - are you doing that? Several nurses I work with recieved free passes for being healthcare workers. Us EMS personnel were not so fortunate. I was thinking that you could prop open a back door somewhere, cause a distraction, and let me in for a 'discount'. Whatchu think?
:meanie:
Or you could get in free on Educator's Night, like me.

Did you call up the front desk about being a healthcare worker? If you use that phrase exactly, then they usually don't question you further.
 
RxnMan said:
Or: What is a 9-letter word pertaining to motion?

DRAMAMINE

It would be the first thing you think of too if your 4 year old gets motion sickness and throws up milk in her car seat. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RxnMan said:
By Odin's ravens! It was a trick question! Polar bears only live in the Artic, not the Antarctic. There was no answer.

Next!

but...wha--...huh...UNCLE JONATHAN'S CORN COB PIPE!

BWAHAHA you got me. You made me feel smart and then shot me off my pedestal of cheese.

Touche, Rxn.
 
RxnMan said:
Or you could get in free on Educator's Night, like me.

Did you call up the front desk about being a healthcare worker? If you use that phrase exactly, then they usually don't question you further.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try and bring my hospital badge just in case. If not, I'm happy to pay the admission price to see it.
 
medicalbound said:
DRAMAMINE

It would be the first thing you think of too if your 4 year old gets motion sickness and throws up milk in her car seat. :laugh:
Pretty good, but not what I was thinking of. Which reminds me of a story.

My father and I were sailing in the Caribbean this fall. We never get motion sick, or sea-sick, for that matter. On our last day we had 3-foot seas and lots of wind, so we decided to try and get sea-sick. We took all of the odds-and-ends and left-overs of our provisions and made the most disgusting sandwiches we could. I actually enjoyed my bacon, turkey, and peanut butter sandwich on wheat. But no matter what, we never felt the least bit nauseous.
 
RxnMan said:
Pretty good, but not what I was thinking of. Which reminds me of a story.

My father and I were sailing in the Caribbean this fall. We never get motion sick, or sea-sick, for that matter. On our last day we had 3-foot seas and lots of wind, so we decided to try and get sea-sick. We took all of the odds-and-ends and left-overs of our provisions and made the most disgusting sandwiches we could. I actually enjoyed my bacon, turkey, and peanut butter sandwich on wheat. But no matter what, we never felt the least bit nauseous.

...The End?
 
MileHighCajn said:
Just curious if anybody has been thinking about the amount of money CU has alloted for our personal lives. Not dipping into books/supplies, that leaves roughly $13,368 for 12 months or $1,114 a month. I was trying to figure out monthly bills/rent and I left with around $350 spending money (food/entertainment-if any). What happens when my car breaks down?

Yeah, I've been thinking about it and have about 4 spreadsheets going with different scenarios. None of them look very good. My wife is going to have a baby next month (our 1st), and she does not plan on working for at least the first year.

After I drain the retirement 401k, IRAs, etc., I'm not sure what's going to happen, but one step at a time, I guess.

Good luck to all who are waiting. May the time pass very quickly...
 
RxnMan said:
No reason to exclude one (or some) from our fun.
Or: What is a 9-letter word pertaining to motion?

For the math folks: There are three posts arranged in a line. On the left one there are 26 disks (think like a record on a record player) stacked on top of each other, shrinking in size/diameter from bottom to top (think like a pyramid). If you cannot place a larger disk on a smaller one, then how long does it take to transfer all disks from the left-hand post to the right?
I thought I'd practice what I will (hopefully) be learning how to do soon and bring life back into this thread.

JayQuah: Yes, that was the end. The story about the beginning and the middle of that trip, especially where I sailed through Hurricane Alpha, was much more exciting.

The word I was thinking of was "kinematic."

Anyone come up with an answer to my disk-moving puzzle?
 
medicalbound said:
Hey there gdbaby,

You had mentioned that you were thinking about volunteering at the Body Worlds 2 display at DMNS - are you doing that? Several nurses I work with recieved free passes for being healthcare workers. Us EMS personnel were not so fortunate. I was thinking that you could prop open a back door somewhere, cause a distraction, and let me in for a 'discount'. Whatchu think?
:meanie:
When I called to volunteer, they already had an overflow of people wanting to volunteer and they gave em the boot. Sorry.

Educator's night? When is that? Can professors get in?

As a side note: the question mark key on my computer fell off today. Underneath there is just a black squishy button. It is much more comfortable than the plastic key so I doubt I will haveit repaired.

Here's an anthropology joke for you:

What did the postmodern anthropologist say to his informant?
 
gdbaby said:
When I called to volunteer, they already had an overflow of people wanting to volunteer and they gave em the boot. Sorry.

Educator's night? When is that? Can professors get in?

As a side note: the question mark key on my computer fell off today. Underneath there is just a black squishy button. It is much more comfortable than the plastic key so I doubt I will haveit repaired.

Here's an anthropology joke for you:

What did the postmodern anthropologist say to his informant?
Sorry - it was last night. Any Denver-area teacher could get in for free to both Body Worlds and IMAX's "Wired to Win."

I hear there is a healthcare professionals night coming up too. They probably have it posted on the website. Check the Body Worlds exhibit thread I resurrected.

To your joke: Ummm, how could you observe without participating?
 
TacoStand said:
Yeah, I've been thinking about it and have about 4 spreadsheets going with different scenarios. None of them look very good. My wife is going to have a baby next month (our 1st), and she does not plan on working for at least the first year.

After I drain the retirement 401k, IRAs, etc., I'm not sure what's going to happen, but one step at a time, I guess.

Good luck to all who are waiting. May the time pass very quickly...

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be worrying about my expenses given the situation. Have you filed for an increase to your COA?
 
RxnMan said:
For the math folks: There are three posts arranged in a line. On the left one there are 26 disks (think like a record on a record player) stacked on top of each other, shrinking in size/diameter from bottom to top (think like a pyramid). If you cannot place a larger disk on a smaller one, then how long does it take to transfer all disks from the left-hand post to the right?

Is there a time dimension for moving one disc? How many discs can you move at once? Can you skip the middle post all together? If you changed the direction you were facing the posts, wouldn't that change which posts the discs were (discs now on right-most post). I'm a little confused by the question.
 
RxnMan said:
For the math folks: There are three posts arranged in a line. On the left one there are 26 disks (think like a record on a record player) stacked on top of each other, shrinking in size/diameter from bottom to top (think like a pyramid). If you cannot place a larger disk on a smaller one, then how long does it take to transfer all disks from the left-hand post to the right?

Just transfer the whole pyramid at once - unless you can only move one disc at a time.
 
dsprague12 said:
Just transfer the whole pyramid at once - unless you can only move one disc at a time.
Yes, you only move one at a time. Like any good engineer, make an estimate of a quantity if it's not given. Truthfully, if your math model of the process is correct, then you'll realize why I didn't give it out.
 
RxnMan said:
To your joke: Ummm, how could you observe without participating?
HA! That's good. I was thinking of "Now enough about you, let's talk about me for a change!"
 
RxnMan said:
No reason to exclude one (or some) from our fun.

Off the top of my head: Every side of my four-sided house faces north. A bear walks by. What color is it?

Or: What is a 9-letter word pertaining to motion?

For the math folks: There are three posts arranged in a line. On the left one there are 26 disks (think like a record on a record player) stacked on top of each other, shrinking in size/diameter from bottom to top (think like a pyramid). If you cannot place a larger disk on a smaller one, then how long does it take to transfer all disks from the left-hand post to the right?

Alright, in response to the math question...

Good problem! If I remember right, this is some famous historical problem. Can't recall the name. Anyways, I actually spent way more time on it than I should have before I realized the pattern. Turns out you would need 2^n - 1 moves to transfer the disks from the first post to the third, where n is the number of disks you had to start (in this case 26). Just for fun, that comes out to 67,108,863 moves. Needless to say, if you were faced with this problem in real life, you should probably walk away...

Here's another one, also a famous historical problem. Hopefully you haven't seen it before:

Let's say a motivated third-year med student is on peds rotations, and the attending gives him/her the task of weighing infants (don't know how likely that is, but oh well). However, the scale is ancient and requires the balancing of known weights with the weight of the infant. Now, the med student is nervous about taking some of the weights to do his/her job, and the residents are in bad moods after 16 shifts. As a result, the student can only take the minimum amount of weights possible. How many weights, and of what values, will the med student need to weigh infants ranging from 1 - 40 lbs. (Assuming their weights are all whole numbers)

PS. Forgive my sad attempt at a somewhat on-topic word problem.
 
Starvin Marvin said:
Alright, in response to the math question...

Good problem! If I remember right, this is some famous historical problem. Can't recall the name. Anyways, I actually spent way more time on it than I should have before I realized the pattern. Turns out you would need 2^n - 1 moves to transfer the disks from the first post to the third, where n is the number of disks you had to start (in this case 26). Just for fun, that comes out to 67,108,863 moves. Needless to say, if you were faced with this problem in real life, you should probably walk away...
This was the point - get your mind off of waiting.

You are correct. The original story involved monks and how long we had to wait until doomsday happened. The lesson is, if you can't solve the whole, complex problem, solve a similar one that is scaled down. For n = number of disks, it takes:

n = 1, one move
n = 2, three moves
n = 3, seven moves, etc...

Taking a second per move (at 100% efficientcy) would take over a year (I calculate 2 ^ (26 - 1) = 33,554,432, not 67,108,863).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starvin Marvin said:
Let's say a motivated third-year med student is on peds rotations, and the attending gives him/her the task of weighing infants (don't know how likely that is, but oh well). However, the scale is ancient and requires the balancing of known weights with the weight of the infant. Now, the med student is nervous about taking some of the weights to do his/her job, and the residents are in bad moods after 16 shifts. As a result, the student can only take the minimum amount of weights possible. How many weights, and of what values, will the med student need to weigh infants ranging from 1 - 40 lbs. (Assuming their weights are all whole numbers)
My quick stab at it says take the 1, 2, 6, 10, & 21 lb. weights for 5 weights total.
 
RxnMan said:
This was the point - get your mind off of waiting.

You are correct. The original story involved monks and how long we had to wait until doomsday happened. The lesson is, if you can't solve the whole, complex problem, solve a similar one that is scaled down. For n = number of disks, it takes:

n = 1, one move
n = 2, three moves
n = 3, seven moves, etc...

Taking a second per move (at 100% efficientcy) would take over a year (I calculate 2 ^ (26 - 1) = 33,554,432, not 67,108,863).

The OP was right. It's 2 ^n - 1, not 2^(n-1)
 
What day do are we gonna hear back?

Phone, email, snail?

Top 3rd of waitlist always gets in or something along those lines?
 
Ok, so this is a question for everybody here from or pretty familiar with Denver but also is familiar with random OOS grocery stores. I'm applying as OOS as my location suggests, and I'm curious as to what is the Denver/Colorado version of Trader Joe's (besides Whole Foods cause I can't always afford it)?
 
shortyganoush said:
Ok, so this is a question for everybody here from or pretty familiar with Denver but also is familiar with random OOS grocery stores. I'm applying as OOS as my location suggests, and I'm curious as to what is the Denver/Colorado version of Trader Joe's (besides Whole Foods cause I can't always afford it)?

KING SOOPERS!
 
To answer the previous two posters, we should be notified by email next Monday (3/20) of a draft class list. That is, acceptances, 1st - 3rd thirds of the waitlist, and rejections. The way the waitlist breaks down historically, the 1st third has always got in, the 3rd not, and the 2nd depends from year to year.

The grocery store here would be Albertsons or King Soopers.
 
RxnMan said:
To answer the previous two posters, we should be notified by email next Monday (3/20) of a draft class list. That is, acceptances, 1st - 3rd thirds of the waitlist, and rejections.

They're gonna tell us by email?! ROCK ON! That's like 4 fewer days of waiting!! (I'm over on the other side of the country).

So is it gonna be like tryouts in high school, where they post the varsity team, the JV team, and the freshman team, and if you don't see your name on it that means you've been cut? I'd better get ready to push my way up to the front of the line to get a peek!

:scared:
 
LadyWolverine said:
They're gonna tell us by email?! ROCK ON! That's like 4 fewer days of waiting!! (I'm over on the other side of the country).

So is it gonna be like tryouts in high school, where they post the varsity team, the JV team, and the freshman team, and if you don't see your name on it that means you've been cut? I'd better get ready to push my way up to the front of the line to get a peek!

:scared:
Also, if you only make the freshman tean, you've been cut. (low 1/3 of waitlist). I will set back of the group and one of you can look for me and tell me if I am in.

I wonder what the subject line of email will say.

"RE: your complete and utter rejection from UCHSC SOM"
"RE: your limbo status from UCHSC SOM"
"RE: kiss the next four years of your life good-bye---you're in!"
 
gdbaby said:
Also, if you only make the freshman tean, you've been cut. (low 1/3 of waitlist). I will set back of the group and one of you can look for me and tell me if I am in.

I wonder what the subject line of email will say.

"RE: your complete and utter rejection from UCHSC SOM"
"RE: your limbo status from UCHSC SOM"
"RE: kiss the next four years of your life good-bye---you're in!"
I believe it says "Status Update" in the subject line.
 
RxnMan said:
I believe it says "Status Update" in the subject line.
Well, that's not nearly as "fun."

2 days until fate decided, 5 days until fate declared.
 
Well. According to the AAMC website, Colorado is now officially harder to get into as an instate student than even California. No wonder I got rejected - I would'a had a better shot in California!

good luck y'all - esp. gd. All of us in the VCU thread are pulling for you! 👍
 
ShyRem said:
Well. According to the AAMC website, Colorado is now officially harder to get into as an instate student than even California. No wonder I got rejected - I would'a had a better shot in California!

good luck y'all - esp. gd. All of us in the VCU thread are pulling for you! 👍
Sweet! How can I go wrong with one of the most popular threads on my side!!??
 
is it true that out-of state tuition for colorado is like $70000?! i would've applied but...that's a TAD too much
 
sintheta said:
is it true that out-of state tuition for colorado is like $70000?! i would've applied but...that's a TAD too much

you get in state residency after your first year, so in the end, it works out that you pay just a lot of up front money that averages out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chuck Norris said:
you get in state residency after your first year, so in the end, it works out that you pay just a lot of up front money that averages out.

oh wow! thanks so much, i didn't know that 🙂
 
Chuck Norris said:
you get in state residency after your first year, so in the end, it works out that you pay just a lot of up front money that averages out.

So why don't they do it like other schools and make OOS matriculants pay non-resident tuition for the duration of school, but at around 35K a year instead. It just seems like you might scare off some potentially good applicants when they see the 70K. I might be wrong, but I don't remember their website ever detailing costs along the way. Anyway, if someone was doing preliminary research about schools to apply to, they might quickly overlook the school b/c of that figure.
 
RxnMan said:
My quick stab at it says take the 1, 2, 6, 10, & 21 lb. weights for 5 weights total.

Actually, it's possible to do with only four: 1, 3, 9, and 27 lbs. (Interestingly enough all powers of three; don't know all the theory behind that though). When the question was first posed (back in 17th or 18th century), I think it took over 50 years for someone to come up with a solution.
 
Man I was having a great time at the scum downer bar in boulder, but then somebody had to go mention, have you heard from cu? and it sobers you right up, and you stop having a good time, and you feel sick to your stomach! why must we wait?!
 
thefafo said:
Man I was having a great time at the scum downer bar in boulder, but then somebody had to go mention, have you heard from cu? and it sobers you right up, and you stop having a good time, and you feel sick to your stomach! why must we wait?!

Despite repeatedly telling my friends and family that I have to wait till the end of March to hear a decision from CU (unless your app is great), I always get asked that. I just find it irritating, b/c it feels like I am constantly answering the same DAMN question and it makes the d-day seem even more distant.