Colorado Countdown!!

Started by gdbaby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starvin Marvin said:
Actually, it's possible to do with only four: 1, 3, 9, and 27 lbs. (Interestingly enough all powers of three; don't know all the theory behind that though). When the question was first posed (back in 17th or 18th century), I think it took over 50 years for someone to come up with a solution.
I think the pissy residents in your story would get more angry waiting 50 years for an intern, despite fewer weights, than waiting 7 minutes for my 70% solution 🙂

Of course, Chuck Norris knew the answer before you asked the question
 
MileHighCajn said:
So why don't they do it like other schools and make OOS matriculants pay non-resident tuition for the duration of school, but at around 35K a year instead. It just seems like you might scare off some potentially good applicants when they see the 70K. I might be wrong, but I don't remember their website ever detailing costs along the way. Anyway, if someone was doing preliminary research about schools to apply to, they might quickly overlook the school b/c of that figure.
True, many of the applicants I met at interviews were frightened of the $70 k. I don't understand what reasoning a school could use to charge you 30 k on the OOS graduates when you've been there for four years!

1 workday and a weekend until D - Day!
 
So did everyone get the e-mail stating that decision notifications will be put off until March 27th?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think I can take much more of this. I'm on spring break and all I can do is read SDN, over and over and over.....

I wish I had a really exciting hobby to keep me busy!
 
StrssdOut said:
I don't think I can take much more of this. I'm on spring break and all I can do is read SDN, over and over and over.....

I wish I had a really exciting hobby to keep me busy!
My spring break starts next week. I am pretty sure I am more excited than my students.

Days until fate decided: 1
Days until fate declared:4

Anyone want to make bets as to what time of day we will get the email?

I say 3:36pm Monday.
 
gdbaby said:
My spring break starts next week. I am pretty sure I am more excited than my students.

Days until fate decided: 1
Days until fate declared:4

Anyone want to make bets as to what time of day we will get the email?

I say 3:36pm Monday.
I like. Put me down for sometime between 4:00pm - 4:15pm. With all of the meetings, projects, and talking to students and applicants, I think that actually notifying people will fall to the bottom of the stack of priorities.
 
gdbaby said:
I say 3:36pm Monday.

I know you started that as a joke, but I thought I would add my own prediction. I was hoping that the e-mail would already be scheduled to be sent out on the 20th and that I could check for it at midnight, but maybe that is just wishful thinking. My interview request went out at around 10, so maybe 9-10am.
 
So far:

gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email

So, the one who comes closest without going over time (Price is Right rules) gets treated to a beer by all of those people on this thread who get in and attend Colorado.
 
RxnMan said:
Cool indeed although I fear there are only three of us still on this thread. I guess JayQuah can treat on of us to a beer even though he is already in. Also, if I get in I think I will have a difficult choice to make between here and Iowa. I may have to post one of those threads "Colorado vs. Iowa" so I can hear people's comments stereotyping Iowans (my husband being one of them!).
 
gdbaby said:
Cool indeed although I fear there are only three of us still on this thread. I guess JayQuah can treat on of us to a beer even though he is already in. Also, if I get in I think I will have a difficult choice to make between here and Iowa. I may have to post one of those threads "Colorado vs. Iowa" so I can hear people's comments stereotyping Iowans (my husband being one of them!).
As time gets closer, we can readjust the times to reflect ranges, depending on how many people participate.

I say choose Iowa because I'm selfish. I have heard good things about Iowa, and I room with a guy from there. If it helps you make a decision, I can ask him any questions you may have.
 
gdbaby said:
So far:

gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email

So, the one who comes closest without going over time (Price is Right rules) gets treated to a beer by all of those people on this thread who get in and attend Colorado.

Can anyone play, or only those stuck in limbo? My guess is 3:31 pm.
 
gdbaby said:
Cool indeed although I fear there are only three of us still on this thread. I guess JayQuah can treat on of us to a beer even though he is already in. Also, if I get in I think I will have a difficult choice to make between here and Iowa. I may have to post one of those threads "Colorado vs. Iowa" so I can hear people's comments stereotyping Iowans (my husband being one of them!).

I heard alot of good things about Iowa. I only applied there (and eventually rejected) b/c one of the doctors I shadowed spoked very highly of the school in regards to patient contact. He was less enthusiastic in his response to CU and no he isn't an Iowa SOM alumni.

In regards to the 'CU E-mail Time', how can you establish 'Price Is Right' parameters if we have already guessed. Medical Bound just undercut both of you.
 
gdbaby said:
So far:

gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email

So, the one who comes closest without going over time (Price is Right rules) gets treated to a beer by all of those people on this thread who get in and attend Colorado.

<looks at audience> 👎 ??? 👍 ? :idea:

1 dollar.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not to worry gd, more than three left, I am still here too. If I had to guess, I think the email will come at 4:25. This is because I will probably check my email at 4, and it won't be there, then I'll have to drive all the way home in limbo.....it never fails.
 
So far:

gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm (thanks for giving gd only 5 minutes of potential!)
ShyRem: 11:20 am
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm
JayQuah: 1 dollar


So, the one who comes closest without going over time (Price is Right rules) gets treated to a beer by all of those people on this thread who get in and attend Colorado.
 
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm (thanks for giving gd only 5 minutes of potential!)
ShyRem: 11:20 am
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm
JayQuah: 1 dollar
nigel: 12:01 pm
 
also, after searching through some of last year's threads, they sent out rejections the week before waitlist/acceptances. don't know if that will be the case this year but i'm not checking my email until monday (yeah right).

did i just jinx myself? damn.
 
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm
 
nigel said:
also, after searching through some of last year's threads, they sent out rejections the week before waitlist/acceptances. don't know if that will be the case this year but i'm not checking my email until monday (yeah right).

did i just jinx myself? damn.
I have a feeling they are just sending out the whole lot next week. They don't meet until tomorrow and that figures to be a pretty long meeting.
 
Maybe we could solicit the help of Chuck Norris. I'm sure Sean Spellman and Dr. Sondheimer would be more than happy to notify us of our fates on Friday after their meeting, rather than suffer a roundhouse kick to the face!
 
MileHighCajn said:
Maybe we could solicit the help of Chuck Norris. I'm sure Sean Spellman and Dr. Sondheimer would be more than happy to notify us of our fates on Friday after their meeting, rather than suffer a roundhouse kick to the face!
MHC, that was an excellent injection of needed Chuck Norris into this thread. That is an automatic acceptance for you!
 
gdbaby said:
I have a feeling they are just sending out the whole lot next week. They don't meet until tomorrow and that figures to be a pretty long meeting.
How do you know this?

I'm willing to put down a little $$$ for the "Help Hire Chuck Norris to Get Us Into CU SOM Fund."
 
RxnMan said:
How do you know this?

I'm willing to put down a little $$$ for the "Help Hire Chuck Norris to Get Us Into CU SOM Fund."
I don't know this. I am just guessing. Coincidentally, those previous two sentences will be used quite a bit by me during the clinical years.

How much do you think it costs to hire Chuck Norris? Probably your first born, which he sired.
 
gdbaby said:
I don't know this. I am just guessing. Coincidentally, those previous two sentences will be used quite a bit by me during the clinical years.

How much do you think it costs to hire Chuck Norris? Probably your first born, which he sired.
The power of Chuck Norris is such that, I am bound to get fired for disrupting work with my constant laughter at the mere mention of his exploits!
 
gdbaby said:
I don't know this. I am just guessing. Coincidentally, those previous two sentences will be used quite a bit by me during the clinical years.

How much do you think it costs to hire Chuck Norris? Probably your first born, which he sired.

I charge by the hour, and you can pay me in coal.

Chuck Norris eats coal, poops diamonds, and sells the diamonds so he can buy more coal.
 
I'm happy Mr. Norris can pull himself away from his busy schedule of asskicking to help us with a speedier reply from CU. Get ready Sean!

As for waiting all weekend for a reply, I was planning on using St. Patrick's Day to put myself into an alcohol-induced coma until Monday morning. Its almost like Christmas. You wake up really early on Monday to see what e-mail Sean might have left you depending on whether you were a good or bad pre-med for the last four years. Hopefully we were all somewhat good.
 
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
thefafo: 12:25 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm

If I guess the suggested retail price of windex, do I get another guess?

Maybe chuck norris could barter with the total gym for our admission. The total gym is pretty excellent for total body fitness.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thefafo said:
The total gym is pretty excellent for total body fitness.

Damn right. Case in point: every morning, Chuck Norris works out on his Total Gym and then grinds up 13 Bowflex's into his protein shake.
 
thefafo said:
If I guess the suggested retail price of windex, do I get another guess?
Yes, but that guess is only for the price of a year's supply of Turtle Wax car polish.
 
MileHighCajn said:
Wow, I guess I shouldn't be worrying about my expenses given the situation. Have you filed for an increase to your COA?

I filed a reconsideration of income, but not an increase to my COA. I do not suspect those are the same things. I want to speak to someone in Financial Aid on the April 21 day. Hopefully, the Fin Aid office is not like my undergrad - BANG YOUR HEAD!!!

My thoughts are that everyone going to medical school who does not have money dripping from their ears definitely has a right to worry about how to make ends meet during school. The good thing is 1000s of people just like us do it every year. It will work out...somehow...
 
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
thefafo: 12:25 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm
TacoStand: 1:01 pm

Figured I'd throw my guess out there.
 
So I think they've made their decisions already, or if not, the Md/PhD committee has. So I'm waitlisted . . . again. (Somewhere on the JV team) I got the email at 5pm pacific time.
 
shortyganoush said:
So I think they've made their decisions already, or if not, the Md/PhD committee has. So I'm waitlisted . . . again. (Somewhere on the JV team) I got the email at 5pm pacific time.
Well, unless they decided that they didn't want to meet on St. Patty's day and met early--I think today is the day for the regular MDs.

Sorry Shorty. That sucks. So you are in the mid-third? That is truly limbo.

Good luck everyone!! :luck:
 
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
thefafo: 12:25 pm
TacoStand: 1:01 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! :luck:

What things are you doing to celebrate?

I'm racing potatoes!
 
gdbaby said:
Well, unless they decided that they didn't want to meet on St. Patty's day and met early--I think today is the day for the regular MDs.

Sorry Shorty. That sucks. So you are in the mid-third? That is truly limbo.

Good luck everyone!! :luck:

Somewhere between middle and top third. I send a letter of intrest to the chair of the Md/Phd steering committee two weeks ago, so he personally wrote me a vague letter about my position, but mentioned that it was a place that "historically" has a chance. errr.

Oh well. Good luck though y'all!
 
Okay. I can't take it! The thought of our decision sitting on Sean's desk all weekend is driving me nuts. Any of you local Denverites want to join me in planning a mild "breaking and entering" on the Admissions office? If you look at my posts in the old Vermont thread, you will see that I am VERY good at organizing coalitions.
 
gdbaby said:
Okay. I can't take it! The thought of our decision sitting on Sean's desk all weekend is driving me nuts. Any of you local Denverites want to join me in planning a mild "breaking and entering" on the Admissions office? If you look at my posts in the old Vermont thread, you will see that I am VERY good at organizing coalitions.
I'll join in - but only if I can be the science/techie/munitions-type guy.
 
gdbaby said:
Okay. I can't take it! The thought of our decision sitting on Sean's desk all weekend is driving me nuts. Any of you local Denverites want to join me in planning a mild "breaking and entering" on the Admissions office? If you look at my posts in the old Vermont thread, you will see that I am VERY good at organizing coalitions.

Count me in! Cheesy 👍! Can I be the suave ladiesman who distracts the unknowing secretary while GDBaby slips past the already downed security (thanks RxnMan 👍 ).
 
MileHighCajn said:
Count me in! Cheesy 👍! Can I be the suave ladiesman who distracts the unknowing secretary while GDBaby slips past the already downed security (thanks RxnMan 👍 ).
It won't be that hard since I still have my pass card! Now who'll be the Mr T of our crue?
 
RxnMan said:
It won't be that hard since I still have my pass card! Now who'll be the Mr T of our crue?
Sounds like a job for thefafo!

I am looking into purchasing a non-descript van. Any suggestions for a business name to detail on the side?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gdbaby said:
Sounds like a job for thefafo!

I am looking into purchasing a non-descript van. Any suggestions for a business name to detail on the side?

I'll be Mr. T (maybe miss T), but I gotta go buy some more gold jewlrey. I could also be the translator/cryptographer, maybe I can finally use that farsi, french, and italian that I decided would be more useful than spanish for some reason.
 
RxnMan said:
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
thefafo: 12:25 pm
TacoStand: 1:01 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! :luck:

What things are you doing to celebrate?

I'm racing potatoes!


2:15 pm

I work in the genetics lab at CU, and I've been trying to restrain myself all day from storming the adcom meeting! This is driving me nuts! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! :luck:
 
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
thefafo: 12:25 pm
TacoStand: 1:01 pm
mariposaice: 2:15 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! :luck: