Colorado Countdown!!

Started by gdbaby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dsprague12 said:
Are you kidding me? I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting in, but you were a total shoe in. I can't believe you didn't get in, regardless of your GPA. Not to take anything away from those who got in, because they undoubtedly deserved it, but I'm not so sure CU knows what they're doing.

Sorry you didn't have more luck.
Readers, if you have similar opinions, please feel free to put them down in writing and send them to:

Medical School Admissions
UCDHSC 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Box C297
Denver, CO 80262

Seriously, though, thank you.
 
RxnMan said:
I was trying to post all day yesterday until about 1pm. Then I got the email. I was outright rejected. I would have been encouraged even if I was on the 3rd third, because that would have been an improvement over last year, but no such luck.

This process is incredibly frustrating. I have made mistakes, but I'm not ashamed of them, and in every metric I've more than made up for it. Luckily, I don't need some stranger's opinion to make a difference in people's lives.

There are kids out there right now who can play with their classmates and enjoy a normal childhood because of my work. I do great things to help those around me every day. I think I can do more, much more by being a doc, but that's not necessary. In of myself, I already have the ability to change this world for the better, and it's the schools' mistake that I don't have my chance to extend it. In short, I'm going to go off and kick a$$ with or without them.

I am happy for all the rest of your guys, I know that you all worked hard to get in and you all wanted it. To those who didn't get in, I am with you. Thank you all for your support.

I am so sorry RxnMan... 🙁 I was looking forward to reading your acceptance post. CU doesn't know what they're going to missing out on - you are freaking amazing, no matter what they tell you. I met you on interview day and figured that you would be accepted right away. Good luck in all of your endeavors, whatever you decide to do.... and kick some ass!
 
Starvin Marvin said:
Yeah, maybe we should.... 👍

I hate to start this kind of speculation, but what do you think we should expect from the middle third. Anyone have any numbers from previous years? There's nothing like building false hope. 😀

Actually my cousin goes there now and one of his friends was accepted from the waitlist from the middle tier. However, he was not accepted until VERY late and had to defer a year before enrolling. It was good for him because he enjoyed his year off and was very laid back considering he already knew where he was going for school. So i guess the breakdown would be, top tier waitlist is pretty much guaranteed admission for the coming year (just a matter of when), SOME people in the middle tier could possibly be offered admission but at a later date, and lower tier people may have a shot (but realistically, should look into other options). Sorry if this is discouraging but my cousin was waitlisted third tier the first time he applied and did not get offered admission that year. The next year he was in the top third and got in around May (I hear May is the month to wait till for any waitlist movement at CU). Hope this post helps everyone and best of luck to all.... :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Noooooooooooooooo RxnMannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! This is awful. I am so sorry. I am not sure what is up with CU that so many of their students are re-applicants. It's kind of like those f'd up drug treatment clinics where you have to PROVE that you want help by calling in everyday at 8 am. So, if you re-apply to CU three times only then will we think you really love us!

RxnMan, you are truly the man and no matter where I end up I will feel bad that we aren't classmates. You're cool.
 
gdbaby said:
Noooooooooooooooo RxnMannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! This is awful. I am so sorry. I am not sure what is up with CU that so many of their students are re-applicants. It's kind of like those f'd up drug treatment clinics where you have to PROVE that you want help by calling in everyday at 8 am. So, if you re-apply to CU three times only then will we think you really love us!

RxnMan, you are truly the man and no matter where I end up I will feel bad that we aren't classmates. You're cool.
Sadly, I HAVE applied to CU three times.

Thank you. I wished we could be in class with you and all of these other folks too, but it wasn't meant to be.
 
Dang, Rxn. I'm with you, tho... I applied to CU twice and never got an interview either time. Their loss. After rejection from everywhere last year with no interviews, I applied DO and MD this time around - currently have a DO acceptance and still on hold at VCU. I don't know what CU's deal is... I've seen them reject outstanding applicants and interview questionable ones. I don't get it. But remember - harder to get into Colorado than California.

I look at it this way - I'm going to be a fabulous physician no matter what the initials, no matter where I go, because being a physician is about ME, not about where I go to school. And someday CU will see what they missed.
 
Hockeyguy said:
The most disapointing part of the story though was how CU never really lived up to the expectations I had in my head. A lot of my colleuges feel the same way. Thats why they changed the cirriculum. So keep your head up and if you got in somewhere else GO.
Mario

Can you elaborate on why you would go somewhere else? Maybe things are better now that they've changed the curriculum, or do you think it went beyond that? What disappointed you? Thanks.
 
ShyRem said:
Dang, Rxn. I'm with you, tho... I applied to CU twice and never got an interview either time. Their loss. After rejection from everywhere last year with no interviews, I applied DO and MD this time around - currently have a DO acceptance and still on hold at VCU. I don't know what CU's deal is... I've seen them reject outstanding applicants and interview questionable ones. I don't get it. But remember - harder to get into Colorado than California.

I look at it this way - I'm going to be a fabulous physician no matter what the initials, no matter where I go, because being a physician is about ME, not about where I go to school. And someday CU will see what they missed.
What gets me is that I can't go DO. Here's a typical phone conversation with me and a DO admissions office person:

DO: Your GPA is low.
Me: (No duh! Oh, wait, be diplomatic!) Yes, but my junior and senior years were much improved, after I decided to be a doc, and I've got a master's with even better grades.
DO: Well, we'd still wouldn't be able to consider your application.
Me: Well, what would I have to do for me to be considered?
DO: We have a master's program, and if you did well in that, then we'd consider you for an interview.
Me: But I already have a masters. I did it specifically to show schools that I can do well in the classroom. You're telling me that I'd have to give up another 2 years to redo a degree I already have, after which I'd only have the same chances as a regular DO applicant and pay you $$$ to do it?
DO: ...Yes.
Me: Major Major Major Major is never in the office, except for when he's out.

Well nuts to that. I'm going to go over here and help fix some kid's scoliosis!
 
But don't the MD schools say that too? quite honestly my DO GPA was below a 3.0 and I still got 4 DO interview offers. Check my mdapps... but don't bother with KCOM. They probably won't look at you. UNE, DMU, MSUCOM... they all gave me interviews. Also try VCU. They tend to look beyond numbers (and I just absolutely LOVED that school).
 
bkflaneur said:
Can you elaborate on why you would go somewhere else? Maybe things are better now that they've changed the curriculum, or do you think it went beyond that? What disappointed you? Thanks.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/education/article/0,1299,DRMN_957_4558192,00.html

Read this article the whole way through... Keep in mind I love football and athletics. I played junior hockey and college hockey (even if it was club). I was the quaterback of my high school team. But the culture at CU is ridiculous. The noble prize winner that dedicated his career after he won the nobel to teaching was DENIED 34 GRANT REQUESTS. At the same time how much money do you think they spent on the Gary Barnet and Ward Churchill s h i t. How much do you think the pay the basketball coach up there - I can tell you it is more than this nobel lauretes salary. And now for all intents and purposes he is gone.

I interviewed at a Harvard and Hopkins for residency and the first thing out their mouths was surrounding all the controversy that CU seems to reveal in, not about our new hospital, not about my research or accomplishments in med school, it was about the culture of controversy CU loves to live in, no joke. There are great people at CU med. I am just saying for people like RXNMan there is no reason they should be rejected - it happend to me my first appplication. Move on if you were rejected CU is not worth being pissed off at. Its hard to swallow stuff like this when you know what a world class place this could and should be. Again you will get a great education if you work hard and show up at CU - just don't expect anyone to notice you or to be a priority as a student. Good luck guys.
 
You know I just talked to my cousin regarding his admission and application status when he applied. He told me something quite surprising. He said he was waitlisted in the middle tier the first time but they had made a mistake and moved him to the third tier. What's an even worst story is that one girl was accepted but later rejected as the school made an error in their file system. I now wonder if my waitlist position is some fluke??
 
chrishuynh - How long did it take for them to resolve it (not that I'm getting my hopes up or anything)?
 
my cousin said it took a day or two to fix the errorneous message... for him at least. I don't know much about the girl who was "accepted" but later rejected. What's odd is I'm from CA with a 3.6 GPA (3.78 BCPM) and 31Q MCAT (9, 11, 11) and I'm on the waitlist... although my interviews went really well, seeing the MCAT scores of some of the rejected in-state residents is somewhat ridiculous. Best of luck to everyone and hope you get into somewhere you'll be happy....
 
I got a 35. I got in early. I think MCAT is a pretty big piece of the puzzle for them. Or at least that's how it seems. I don't understand medical school admissions. Big clusterf*ck.
 
I wish everyone the best of luck. I am leaving this thread since, between the former CU student telling everyone to go other places and others claiming that questionable people were let in, I don't feel so great about myself or SDN right now.

I know everyone is freakin out and angry. I hope that other schools/alternate plans work out for everyone. Later.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't put too much weight on your mcat score in comparison to everything else...I was accepted to CU yesterday with a 29M. I will be attending CU next fall as it is my first choice, but even with a 29M I was accepted to 3 other MD schools. Of course a high mcat score helps, but it isn't everything...just my 2 cents
 
gdbaby said:
I wish everyone the best of luck. I am leaving this thread since, between the former CU student telling everyone to go other places and others claiming that questionable people were let in, I don't feel so great about myself or SDN right now.

I know everyone is freakin out and angry. I hope that other schools/alternate plans work out for everyone. Later.
GDizzle, every place that interviewed you accepted you. You got a great scholarship to Iowa. Frankly, I think you're doing something right, every school that interviewed you thinks you're doing something right, and I want some of your mojo.
(Everyone here told me to apply to CU - including a former professor who is now on the UNM MD/PhD adcomm - because they think so highly of it.)
 
ShyRem said:
I look at it this way - I'm going to be a fabulous physician no matter what the initials, no matter where I go, because being a physician is about ME, not about where I go to school. And someday CU will see what they missed.

Great perspective!
 
gdbaby said:
No and I am freakin' out. And, for what it's worth, TacoStand won the bet and anyone in the relative vicinity of denver should get together and buy Taco a beer.

I'd glady give up the beer for some of y'all to get acceptances vs waitlists or rejections. 😱

Maybe after the 4/21 pre-orientation day....
 
nigel said:
conspiracy theorists - here's something to chew on, mcat scores of rejected instate applicants:
myself - 37
MileHighCajn - 36
RxnMan - 36
I'm not entirely sure what your stats are, but I think its fairly obvious from my profile and RxnMan's that a low GPA will hinder your chances with any medical school. I also realize that I need more clinical experience, which other people who were accepted had plenty of (with the exception of RxnMan). In either case, it seems apparent that you must have a solid application with almost no weakspots. I don't think there is any conspiracies, except that GPA really matters (among EVERY other category).
 
so does anyone know how much play there is in the middle of the waitlist? historically, what percentage of the middle third gets in?
 
Hockeyguy said:
The most disapointing part of the story though was how CU never really lived up to the expectations I had in my head. A lot of my colleuges feel the same way. Thats why they changed the cirriculum. So keep your head up and if you got in somewhere else GO. There are a lot of great schools out there. I am usually a fiercly positive person and I can't say enough nice things about CSU where I did my undergrad - so I am not just some a-hole lipping off. Again CU is a fine school just don't let it f' with your head too hard. You will all get in somewhere if this is what you want. Good luck everyone and feel free to IM if you want to chat.

Move on if you were rejected CU is not worth being pissed off at. Its hard to swallow stuff like this when you know what a world class place this could and should be. Again you will get a great education if you work hard and show up at CU - just don't expect anyone to notice you or to be a priority as a student. Good luck guys.


Just wanted to post to support what Hockeyguy is trying to say. I have worked alongside 24 different residents who graduated from numerous schools across the country. The graduates from CU were the only people who did not speak enthusiastically about their alma mater. They did nothing to encourage me to apply to their school, and when questioned about it, they said exactly the same thing Hockeyguy is saying.

Last year, before I even put in my application, CU was the school I really wanted to attend because I love Colorado, have friends and family in the area, etc. But, after working with these residents, my enthusiasm for CU waned. Don't dismiss what Hockeyguy is trying to say as only one person with a grudge or whatever. There are CU graduates that are expressing the same luke-warm enthusiasm for their school.
 
nigel said:
...Obviously I believe the three of us, like all others around here, have the total package...
Yes...I have a complete package!

I am angry because I put more effort into this than nearly any other part of my life and I get the same results, even after I follow the Dean's instructions on strengthening my app to the letter. I spoke with the admissions office yesterday and they said the obvious: my GPA was the thing that separated me from the people who got accepted. I wish that the CU ADCOM could see past that one number and see all the rest.

Hockeyguy and livetotheedge, I have no other options than CU, regardless of their rep - they're the only one who has ever invited me to interview. For me, rejection from them means waiting another year.

I have no numbers on the middle third of the waitlist, but for those in the third 3rd, your chances are comparable to mine.
 
I was not suggesting that others didn't deserve an acceptance... gdbaby I've been pulling for you all along and I apologize sincerely if you really felt I offended you or anyone else.

I was simply pointing out that the three of us had unusually high mcat scores with flat out rejections.

My likely downfall was a low GPA too with weak ECs (esp. clinical)...
 
Congratulations to those of you who were accepted. Condolences to those who were not. And a warning to not dismiss the comments of a successful MS4 student (who has matched into his first choice of an extremely competitive specialty); there are multiple reasons that CU's alumni donations are pretty much the lowest of any med school in the country.

For those who were rejected, a little perspective.

Colorado has the second-lowest acceptance rate for its med school applicants at MD schools in the US (only Arizona has a lower acceptance rate for its applicants at any med school)
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3609931

You have to get it together on time, apply to multiple schools where you have a realistic chance of being accepted, and suck it up to clean up any rough spots in your application. People who get accepted aren't just lucky; most of them work very hard for those acceptances.

The three people mentioned above, who got rejected with good MCATs, are all aware of the problems in their applications. MileHighCajn applied very, very late, to only 5 schools. RxnMan has a very low GPA. And so on. There are ways to get around all these issues, and people on these forums who have done it and are now successful doctors.

Here's what it sounds like when I listen to people on the adcom talking about interviewees: someone with a fantastic MCAT but no clinical experience. Or someone who got rejected the year before, but said they didn't know why (even though the Dean had talked to them in person). Or someone who got rejected for lack of clinical experience and did nothing to improve their clinical experience. Or someone who couldn't articulate why they wanted to be a doctor. Or someone who exaggerated their level of involvement in an EC. Or, most often, someone who didn't appear excited, enthusiastic, and genuinely passionate about medicine.

Please understand, the adcom eventually sees your brilliant MCAT score and the other facets of your application. The committee members are generally very diligent about really looking at your whole package after your interview. But when you go into the interview, they don't know your GPA and your MCAT score. You can shine, or you can come across as a smart person who lacks warmth and the ability to really connect with people. At that moment, you are being compared with the interviewer's personal experience of dozens of your fellow applicants, not some bizarre notion of what a future doctor should be. If you don't come across well in that interview, then that's where you should focus your attention. If it's some other aspect of the "total package" that is limiting you, then you must clean that up.

There are people in my class who were rejected anywhere from 1 to 5 times, and kept going, improving their application every year. That perseverance, and the willingness to accept criticism, now make them very successful medical students.

Good luck to all of you. And for those with a few years to go before applying and a lot of money, there is a new osteopathic school projected to open in Colorado in August 2008 (Rocky Vista, south Denver, class of 100, 50% in-state, a private for-profit school).
 
Thanks to everyone who PM'd me. I now realize that I got a wee bit over emotional. Honestly, I am slightly intimidated by all of your MCAT scores (since we are told at birth that the MCAT is where it's at) and probably felt a little undeserving of this acceptance myself.

I do know that I tend to interview very well. I have always said (in this process and in applying for other jobs) that if I could get the interview, I can get the job. I have been very lucky that 5 of the 15 schools I applied to offered me interviews (turned one down).

I think I also got emotional because, in our group neuroses on this thread, I reallly looked forward to having all of you as my classmates.
 
I dunno if this will be informative for people who are may re-apply, (especially considering that I am an out-of-stater), and I'm sure we could all speculate till the cows come home on why some ppl got in and others didn't, but I think I know why I'm on the top 1/3 of the waitlist and not on the bottom 1/3. (I applied 2 years ago and didn't even get an interview. The only thing different this go-round was an MS degree, more solid recs, and 2 more years of life. But my MCAT was nothing special, and my UG GPA was sub-par.)

I think the reason that I am where I am is because I was EXTREMELY lucky and had two great interviews. I had something in common with both of my interviewers, and that was a great ice-breaker (I dunno if they try to match up your interests on purpose, or if it was just the luck of the draw). The first interviewer was a U of Mich grad/CT surgeon, so we talked about Michigan and cardiovascular research. The second had attended U of Maryland med (my state school), was into triathlons, and saw a lot of patients with drug/alcohol addictions (one of my interests), so we had a lot of common interests.

I'm sure that it's no consolation, but seriously, it looks like many of you had really solid stats (especially MCAT scores...wow!)...maybe you didn't luck out by getting compatible interviewers. This whole process is a friggin' crapshoot, and if you get a shoddy interview, or even one little thing is off, you go into the "no" pile. (To illustrate, I had a terrible, TERRIBLE interview at Jefferson, where the doc I spoke with was completely distracted, hadn't even read my file, spent half the interview trying to read it while I sat quietly, and then the second half was spent with him on the phone/looking at his beeper every other minute. I was almost automatically waitlisted, and heard nothing for several months afterwards.)

I had *no idea* going in that I would have anything at all in common with my interviewers - like I said, I think it was just the luck of the draw. I've learned that in this process, sometimes it just happens that way.

Just a thought.
 
gd, we still love you. We're just a bit jealous of your success. 😡 🙁

But we still love you. 😍 😍 😍

And we really are very *VERY* happy for you. 🙂
 
Very happy to have you back Gd! After two days of nail biting I think the SO and I have made a very logical decision. I think that three months is too short a time to plan our wedding, move to Cleveland, sell our house, and find him a job. Not to mention his current job is paying for his masters, and he'll be done next May. Soooo, instead we are going to defer for a year, then head off to Case Western. I feel really lucky to have gotten into a good school like that, and I'm SUPER pumped about the second look weekend coming up on Friday. A year will give us time to get the house ready to sell, and I'm still too young to be considered non-traditional, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Overall, I FINALLY feel relaxed about this process!

I can definitely understand the complaints, though. I really hope that everyone finds a path that they want the most, whether that leads to CU or not. You are all so qualified, I know you'll do great things. I'd be honored to have any one of you as my physician. Hooray for news, even if its not what you wanted. Limbo is no fun, I feel like I should party regardless of the quasi-third tier-rejection, and everyone else should too! We are done for another year. When can we buy taco that beer!?!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MeowMix said:
Good luck to all of you. And for those with a few years to go before applying and a lot of money, there is a new osteopathic school projected to open in Colorado in August 2008 (Rocky Vista, south Denver, class of 100, 50% in-state, a private for-profit school).
Wow I hadn't heard that. I always thought Colorado State should start a DO school or Wyoming. The Northern Colorado/Wyoming region would really be a great place - in addition to the Western slope - for people to get rural training. Glad to see the adding the much needed spots.

Mario

http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/blog/index.php?itemid=1505
 
I heard of it awhile ago - my co-workers on the UCHSC faculty heard Krugman talk about it during his "state of the school speech." I wouldn't feel confident of an untested curriculum (like CU's MS1s found out this year). That goes double for a new school.
 
There was an article in the Rocky Mountain News a few days ago about CU's plans on opening up a med school campus in Grand Junction, based out of St. Mary's. That would bring total enrollment up to 200, possibly by 2008.

Good luck to all who got accepted this year; and to all who didn't, I feel your pain.


Sincerely,

Out right rejected
 
Ah. Found the article in the Denver Post. Sorry - I misinterpreted what you wrote. It does state that more seats could be added and that classroom time would be done in Denver but 3rd and 4th years rotations on the western slope. It doesn't state that more seats would be added. I found that interesting. And as for the 38% going to med school? AAMC lists less than 18% of instate Colorado applicants matriculating instate.
 
For those not accepted, I volunteer with an ER doc that I highly respect and think is one of the best that I've seen. It took him 3 times to get accepted in Colorado. During my application process, it gave me some hope, but also fear of how many years it would take me. Since I'm a non-trad (31), I wasn't looking forward to 3 years or more of trying.

From the day I received the letter, I knew I was very fortunate to have gotten into CU. I had a 33 on the MCAT and a 3.5-3.6 ug GPA - so nothing really stellar. My interviews went great and I think this was huge in getting accepted. The whole process is definitely 110% effort, tons of perserverence (as all of you know too well), but also a crapshoot.

As far as the beer goes, weekends are best since I live in C. Springs and work during the week 🙁 Just let me know....
 
ShyRem said:
Ah. Found the article in the Denver Post. Sorry - I misinterpreted what you wrote. It does state that more seats could be added and that classroom time would be done in Denver but 3rd and 4th years rotations on the western slope. It doesn't state that more seats would be added. I found that interesting. And as for the 38% going to med school? AAMC lists less than 18% of instate Colorado applicants matriculating instate.

I haven't seen the article. But when I interviewed, Dr. Sondheimer said there were plans to increase the med school class size close to 200. I'm sure it's not a sure thing though. I think the next couple of years could involve some back and forth and growing pains while the Fitzsimmons move settles.
 
So for those of you accepted, are you going to Colorado? I didn't want to post one of those X vs. Y threads, but I am having a difficult time deciding between Colorado and Iowa. If anyone (accepted or not) has input I would greatly appreaciate it. Don't give me the climate rap though, i am from the midwest and don't mind the cold. Plus my first (last) time snowboarding, I broke my arm, so I can take or leave the outdoor adventure (my husband likes to tell me that my idea of "camping" is staying in a Motel 6). So just based on the schools, where should I go?!?!? The second look days are on the same day so I need to choose soon.

I did email some CU students, but it is spring break so I don't think anyone is checking their email.

gd
 
gdbaby said:
So for those of you accepted, are you going to Colorado? I didn't want to post one of those X vs. Y threads, but I am having a difficult time deciding between Colorado and Iowa. If anyone (accepted or not) has input I would greatly appreaciate it. Don't give me the climate rap though, i am from the midwest and don't mind the cold. Plus my first (last) time snowboarding, I broke my arm, so I can take or leave the outdoor adventure (my husband likes to tell me that my idea of "camping" is staying in a Motel 6). So just based on the schools, where should I go?!?!? The second look days are on the same day so I need to choose soon.

I did email some CU students, but it is spring break so I don't think anyone is checking their email.

gd
Have you thought about your support system? There will be times during your clinicals where it will be difficult for you and your husband to watch your son. Would being back in Iowa (where, if I remember correctly, your husband's family is,) with family help make those busy times easier?
 
gdbaby said:
So for those of you accepted, are you going to Colorado? I didn't want to post one of those X vs. Y threads, but I am having a difficult time deciding between Colorado and Iowa. If anyone (accepted or not) has input I would greatly appreaciate it. Don't give me the climate rap though, i am from the midwest and don't mind the cold. Plus my first (last) time snowboarding, I broke my arm, so I can take or leave the outdoor adventure (my husband likes to tell me that my idea of "camping" is staying in a Motel 6). So just based on the schools, where should I go?!?!? The second look days are on the same day so I need to choose soon.

I did email some CU students, but it is spring break so I don't think anyone is checking their email.

gd


gd,

i'm probably going to colorado, but i'm not 100%. i'm deciding between colorado, dartmouth, and pitt. i think the x vs. y threads are pretty silly too, but i'm tempted to start one. it's a tough decision.

i'm in-state in colorado, so money's going to be a big factor in my decision. i'm waiting to hear back about financial aid with all schools, but i don't expect pitt or dartmouth to match in-state tuition.

i liked CU a lot on interview day. i have heard some mixed reviews from students, and it seems like the Fitzsimmons move has created some chaos. there was an article in the Denver Post last summer about all the problems surrounding the move and about how some prominent faculty were leaving or frustrated with the way everything was handled.

i like the way they've changed the curriculum. hopefully the initial kinks will be mostly worked out by the time we start.

i don't really know anything about the clinical rotations at CU? does anyone have insight there?

i'm definitely going to 2nd look day. hopefully something will happen to make it all obvious.

bk
 
bkflaneur said:
gd,

i'm probably going to colorado, but i'm not 100%. i'm deciding between colorado, dartmouth, and pitt. i think the x vs. y threads are pretty silly too, but i'm tempted to start one. it's a tough decision.

i'm in-state in colorado, so money's going to be a big factor in my decision. i'm waiting to hear back about financial aid with all schools, but i don't expect pitt or dartmouth to match in-state tuition.

i liked CU a lot on interview day. i have heard some mixed reviews from students, and it seems like the Fitzsimmons move has created some chaos. there was an article in the Denver Post last summer about all the problems surrounding the move and about how some prominent faculty were leaving or frustrated with the way everything was handled.

i like the way they've changed the curriculum. hopefully the initial kinks will be mostly worked out by the time we start.

i don't really know anything about the clinical rotations at CU? does anyone have insight there?

i'm definitely going to 2nd look day. hopefully something will happen to make it all obvious.

bk
They match you with preceptors for your first two years in primary care (unless you've been set on, say, ortho all your life) and you spend an afternoon a week with them. Rotations are done at all of the area hospitals: DH, CU, Rose, PSL, Children's, Swedish. What exactly are you asking for?
 
RxnMan said:
They match you with preceptors for your first two years in primary care (unless you've been set on, say, ortho all your life) and you spend an afternoon a week with them. Rotations are done at all of the area hospitals: DH, CU, Rose, PSL, Children's, Swedish. What exactly are you asking for?
I think this is HUGE. At Iowa, everything is affiliated with the U of Iowa hospital --a great hospital, but I like the idea of having more diverse patient exposure. But RxnMan, you're right, being closer to family is a huge factor too. Joe's uncle lives in iowa City (we were married at his house), his father is in Davemport (60 miles away) and my folks are in Chicago. We have no one here.

Iowa gave me a scholarship that makes it $2k less that CU which in the grand scheme of debt, isn't that much but it does make a financially-level playing field. I am trying to see if I can swing going to CU's day (Fri) then hop on a plane and go to Iowa's (Saturday).

I am leaning to CU. We own a home here (8 blocks away from the old campus), my hubby has a job (which he hates, but pays really well). I don't know. But these have been really constructive comments. Thanks!
 
BTW: Is there a colorado class thread? If not, why? Are we too good for a class thread? I think we should decide what our class personality is going to be. It would be hard for me to do pretensious, but I am willing to try! "Stupid SDN fools. I don't need to rally around a stupid class thread. Class threads are for my sister!"
 
RxnMan said:
They match you with preceptors for your first two years in primary care (unless you've been set on, say, ortho all your life) and you spend an afternoon a week with them. Rotations are done at all of the area hospitals: DH, CU, Rose, PSL, Children's, Swedish. What exactly are you asking for?

Thanks. That's mostly what I'm asking for - just an overview of what the clinical years are like at CU. Though if any current students had more insight, that would be great. I think years 1-2 are going to be pretty similar wherever you go to school. Everyone needs to learn the same material for the boards. But it's harder to evaluate or predict what the clinical years will be like in terms of quality of teaching, schedule, exposure, learning environment and opportunities.
 
OK, a little clarification and extra info.

"Foundations" is what CU calls your MS1-MS2 clinical experience (actually extends into MS3 too). You go and spend an afternoon per week with a local doctor (usually primary care i.e. peds, ob, internist, FP; occasionally ER). This is very nice because you get a chance to learn patient interaction skills, history-taking, and basic clinical skills in a low-stress environment, long before you get graded on them. It also gives you patient contact right from the beginning, which I personally enjoy a whole lot more than the hours of lecture and small group discussion, and I learn more. This is an exceptionally good program, and we're lucky to have it.

"Rotations" or "clerkships" is the universal name for what you do during MS3 and MS4. These can happen at most hospitals in Denver, and many around Colorado (you cannot do rotations outside Colorado for any of your mandatory core rotations, but you can do "away" rotations later). The current MS2 class will be the last to have the traditional structure (5 weeks each of peds, ob, FP, psych, 10 weeks of medicine, etc.); the current MS1 class is supposed to have a new structure for rotations, with titles like "Women and Newborns."

The nice thing about Denver and CO is that we have an incredible range of hospitals and patient populations. Urban, suburban, veterans, kids, rural, small town, whatever you want to see. We don't have any other med schools in the state, which gives us lots of opportunities without having to be in huge groups of students, peering over everyone else to see the patient (for example, a friend at Alabama told me about being the lowliest peon in a group of 16 on her surgery rotation). Several DO schools regularly have their students rotate in CO, but that is not going to affect your experience.

From my perspective, one of the strongest aspects of the CU program is its early, real patient exposure (not some lame-ass longitudinal thing where you follow the same patients around every week), and the incredible opportunities available on rotations. It's very important to have some idea of where you will be rotating, especially if you have kids and family or need to remain in state for other reasons; most pre-meds don't look into this issue in enough depth (for example, at some DO schools you can end up doing rotations in multiple states, or you can end up having to organize your rotations yourself - a huge pain in the butt).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gdbaby said:
Thanks Meow Mix--aren't you supposed to be vacationing?!?

had to take a break after my strenuous activities this week - skiing, yoga classes, walking the dog, watching medical drama TV shows...
 
MeowMix said:
had to take a break after my strenuous activities this week - skiing, yoga classes, walking the dog, watching medical drama TV shows...
HA! My hubby and I are going to opena bottle of wine and not stop drinking until we figure out where I'm going to school. Thanks for those emails, I got in touch with several students who offered lots of advice. Jo should be a walking billboard for CU!
 
JustBreathe said:
I just withdrew from the class. I hope someone awesome gets accepted now 🙂

Awesome! I'm glad that I can move up the waitlist AND you get to go to a school you really like. It seems like a much better plan for moving up the waitlist than having my friends run naked through the UCHSC campus until I'm admitted.