You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Colorado Countdown!!
Started by gdbaby
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you serious? I've got nothing yet!
CONGRATULATIONS GD!!!!!! 👍
CONGRATULATIONS GD!!!!!! 👍
Congrats, Gd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I KNEW you'd do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
👍 👍 😀 😀 😀
I KNEW you'd do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
👍 👍 😀 😀 😀
Thanks Shy. Bittersweet without you as my classmate. Remember: you. me. 9:00. Wine of your choice!ShyRem said:Congrats, Gd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I KNEW you'd do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
👍 👍 😀 😀 😀
LadyWolverine said:Are you serious? I've got nothing yet!
CONGRATULATIONS GD!!!!!! 👍
I have nothing yet either. Maybe it's going in alphabetical... my last name starts with a "W". I'm also out of state. Who knows? But, seems like everyone is going to know where they stand after today... Good luck everyone.
EEEP!!
Dear LadyWolverine:
The Committee on Admissions at the University of Colorado School of Medicine has completed its selection of applicants for the 2006 entering class. We are placing your name on our alternate list in the top priority category...
I'm assuming this is good?
👍
Dear LadyWolverine:
The Committee on Admissions at the University of Colorado School of Medicine has completed its selection of applicants for the 2006 entering class. We are placing your name on our alternate list in the top priority category...
I'm assuming this is good?
👍
Super good!Sean said everyone gets in who is in the top third of the waitlist! Is CU your first choice LW?LadyWolverine said:EEEP!!
Dear LadyWolverine:
The Committee on Admissions at the University of Colorado School of Medicine has completed its selection of applicants for the 2006 entering class. We are placing your name on our alternate list in the top priority category...
I'm assuming this is good?
👍
gdbaby said:I'm Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! Who's comin' with me!!!!????!!!!!
Congrats! 😀
gdbaby said:Super good!Sean said everyone gets in who is in the top third of the waitlist! Is CU your first choice LW?
OMG, that's awesome!!!
GD, I'm having a tough time deciding where to go. I feel so fortunate because I have been accepted to 3 great schools (well, for all intents and purposes, now 4, I guess!), and I absolutely LOVED them all. As a re-applicant, I've already been through the heartbreak of not being accepted anywhere, and now I feel like there is no way I will be able to make this choice, as it would mean taking 3 other acceptances for granted.
I only applied to schools that I would seriously consider attending, and Colorado is certainly at the top of my list. However, I *am* out-of-state, and I must take costs into consideration as well.
I am hesitant to start one of those "which school should I choose?"-type threads, as this will ultimately have to be my decision. I just don't know which part of me to listen to 🙁 But the bottom line is that I was very impressed with Colorado, and would be extremely happy to spend my 4 years of medical school there.
congrats to those who got in. no such luck for me.
Since we are killing time until everyone else posts...LadyWolverine said:OMG, that's awesome!!!
GD, I'm having a tough time deciding where to go. I feel so fortunate because I have been accepted to 3 great schools (well, for all intents and purposes, now 4, I guess!), and I absolutely LOVED them all. As a re-applicant, I've already been through the heartbreak of not being accepted anywhere, and now I feel like there is no way I will be able to make this choice, as it would mean taking 3 other acceptances for granted.
I only applied to schools that I would seriously consider attending, and Colorado is certainly at the top of my list. However, I *am* out-of-state, and I must take costs into consideration as well.
I am hesitant to start one of those "which school should I choose?"-type threads, as this will ultimately have to be my decision. I just don't know which part of me to listen to 🙁 But the bottom line is that I was very impressed with Colorado, and would be extremely happy to spend my 4 years of medical school there.
What are your other schools? I didn't want to post an "Iowa v. Colorado" thread either, but I know it will be a tough choice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gdbaby said:I'm Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! Who's comin' with me!!!!????!!!!!
WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! Congrats, gdbaby, you rock!

1:42 PM (MST) ...
middle third of alternate list ....
wonderful.
7 interviews:
1 outright rejection,
3 waitlists,
2 pending (most likely rejections),
1 acceptance to a school I was very dissappointed in.
👍 👍 👍 (sarcasm obvious)
Congrats to others though!
middle third of alternate list ....
wonderful.
7 interviews:
1 outright rejection,
3 waitlists,
2 pending (most likely rejections),
1 acceptance to a school I was very dissappointed in.
👍 👍 👍 (sarcasm obvious)
Congrats to others though!
gdbaby said:Since we are killing time until everyone else posts...
What are your other schools? I didn't want to post an "Iowa v. Colorado" thread either, but I know it will be a tough choice.
Aside from CU, Georgetown, USC, and Maryland (my state school).
I really liked them all.
Iowa is a fantastic school as well...I'm assuming you had a great experience there, and that's why you're still debating it, even after the CU acceptance?
I was a little shocked with the CU rejection that the Persian new year brought me. I guess that means I will be getting rejected for the rest of the year in everything. Awesome! Not to sound arrogant, but I thought I would at least be put on the waitlist. To those who were accepted or are waitlisted, congratulations and enjoy these next few months of freedom.
As for me, I think I will be working on bumping up my ECs. I'm a little curious what aspects of my application they would like me to improve. I guess I could take some post-bacc classes. Anyways, this is for another thread. Once again, congratulations to those who were accepted and if you were rejected, you have my sympathy, b/c we will be spending even more chedda next round.
BTW, SDN has been pretty ****ty today and has made posting difficult.
As for me, I think I will be working on bumping up my ECs. I'm a little curious what aspects of my application they would like me to improve. I guess I could take some post-bacc classes. Anyways, this is for another thread. Once again, congratulations to those who were accepted and if you were rejected, you have my sympathy, b/c we will be spending even more chedda next round.
BTW, SDN has been pretty ****ty today and has made posting difficult.
Starvin Marvin said:1:42 PM (MST) ...
middle third of alternate list ....
wonderful.
7 interviews:
1 outright rejection,
3 waitlists,
2 pending (most likely rejections),
1 acceptance to a school I was very dissappointed in.
👍 👍 👍 (sarcasm obvious)
Congrats to others though!
Sorry for the bitterness. I should be happy with what I have. At least I still have a chance. However, I'd almost prefer to be rejected than have to wait indefinitely. Ugh.
For those who didn't get accepted - let me repeat something I saw on the AAMC website. They have this great list of % applied and % accepted for applicants (broken down by in-state and oos). Colorado is harder to get into than California statistically. California accepts a higher percentage of instate students/applicants than Colorado does. Take heart - perhaps next time you should apply to California! 
Ok, not really. But good luck wherever you end up - whether in med school somewhere else or applying again next year. (I can say this and be sincere - I didn't even get an interview at CU and I'm in-state!)
And MileHigh - I agree, SDN has been pretty crappy today. It seems to be better now tho - but around 1pm I was waiting literally for 23 minutes to have a reply posted. Ridiculous.

Ok, not really. But good luck wherever you end up - whether in med school somewhere else or applying again next year. (I can say this and be sincere - I didn't even get an interview at CU and I'm in-state!)
And MileHigh - I agree, SDN has been pretty crappy today. It seems to be better now tho - but around 1pm I was waiting literally for 23 minutes to have a reply posted. Ridiculous.
Haven't hear from StrssdOut either..... 🙁
In the top third of the waitlist.... I'm very surprised given my stats were nothing special and I'm OOS(California). Congrats to everyone!
gdbaby said:I'm Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! Who's comin' with me!!!!????!!!!!
Oh boy, gdbaby - I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! 😀 😀
Congratulations!!!
Yahoo!!
Mota--I only get accepted so you will love me.drmota said:gdbaby = champion
(see the wall of fame for your full congratulatory mota reaction)
-mota
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello CU peoples. I am a fourth year at CU med about to graduate and came across this thread today. For those that got in great job. CU will definately get you where you need to go. I just matched last week into Anesthesiology at Wash U in St. Louis my first choice...
But this post is for those who didn't get in. I know the sting people. My first app to CU was a bottom third of the waitlist death kiss and I was devastated. It was my state school and my stats were really strong biochem 3.85, 33 great letters blah blah blah. I was so pissed. Especially since a bipolar a-hole I knew from undergrad skated in. He never made it through by the way. I applied next year with the same exact application and walked right in. I loved my year off and partied in Fort Collins 3 nights a week. So in the end everything worked out. I know thats hard to to believe today. The night I got rejected I was shell shocked.
The most disapointing part of the story though was how CU never really lived up to the expectations I had in my head. A lot of my colleuges feel the same way. Thats why they changed the cirriculum. So keep your head up and if you got in somewhere else GO. There are a lot of great schools out there. I am usually a fiercly positive person and I can't say enough nice things about CSU where I did my undergrad - so I am not just some a-hole lipping off. Again CU is a fine school just don't let it f' with your head too hard. You will all get in somewhere if this is what you want. Good luck everyone and feel free to IM if you want to chat.
Mario
But this post is for those who didn't get in. I know the sting people. My first app to CU was a bottom third of the waitlist death kiss and I was devastated. It was my state school and my stats were really strong biochem 3.85, 33 great letters blah blah blah. I was so pissed. Especially since a bipolar a-hole I knew from undergrad skated in. He never made it through by the way. I applied next year with the same exact application and walked right in. I loved my year off and partied in Fort Collins 3 nights a week. So in the end everything worked out. I know thats hard to to believe today. The night I got rejected I was shell shocked.
The most disapointing part of the story though was how CU never really lived up to the expectations I had in my head. A lot of my colleuges feel the same way. Thats why they changed the cirriculum. So keep your head up and if you got in somewhere else GO. There are a lot of great schools out there. I am usually a fiercly positive person and I can't say enough nice things about CSU where I did my undergrad - so I am not just some a-hole lipping off. Again CU is a fine school just don't let it f' with your head too hard. You will all get in somewhere if this is what you want. Good luck everyone and feel free to IM if you want to chat.
Mario
1:42 pm - I found out Middle third of the waitlist. I'm just relieved it's not a rejection, now the long wait begins. So I guess I'll be waiting for the rest of the year - hey starvin marvin, we could consol each other? 😉
Edit: I almost forgot. Congrats Gdbaby!
Edit: I almost forgot. Congrats Gdbaby!
Thanks fafo. This thread did not go in the direction I had hoped. Am I the only one? It is like some weird Faustian nightmare: Oh yes, gd, we'll let you in but then all of your other colleagues will be rejected or waitlisted. "Deal or no deal?"
I am so sorry. Who knows how this whole thing works. Right now it does not make any sense.
I am so sorry. Who knows how this whole thing works. Right now it does not make any sense.
I could see from your other posts how badly you really wanted this acceptance, so I was really excited to read your post today. Congratulations! 😀
Congrats gd, honestly it couldn't have happened to a better person. **extinguishes the flaming bag of poop** 👍 😀gdbaby said:Thanks fafo. This thread did not go in the direction I had hoped. Am I the only one? It is like some weird Faustian nightmare: Oh yes, gd, we'll let you in but then all of your other colleagues will be rejected or waitlisted. "Deal or no deal?"
I am so sorry. Who knows how this whole thing works. Right now it does not make any sense.
gdbaby said:Mota--I only get accepted so you will love me.
Excellent! I'm glad you're coming GD
Contrats gdbaby! I am so happy for you!
gdbaby said:Mota--I only get accepted so you will love me.
its workin baby doll.
-mota
So, now what? I feel kind of sad about the bottom third, but at the same time, I want this to be happy. I got in in two other places, and I liked them both. It's harder when there are other people involved. Do you guys know the rules for deferring admission?
Thanks everybody! I am almost 100% sure I am staying here in Colorado. It's hard since iowa was so good to me (1st interview, 1st acceptance, and a $$ that makes it like in-state tuition for me). I can't wait to post on Mota's "Where WE be going" thread--hopefully very soon!
gdbaby said:Thanks everybody! I am almost 100% sure I am staying here in Colorado. It's hard since iowa was so good to me (1st interview, 1st acceptance, and a $$ that makes it like in-state tuition for me). I can't wait to post on Mota's "Where WE be going" thread--hopefully very soon!
Congrats gdbaby and all! 👍
Sorry to anyone having a bad week...
Hey...did I just feel a slight move up the waitlist ladder for me at Iowa? 😀 👍 😍
Best of luck everyone!
2 Boys!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No and I am freakin' out. And, for what it's worth, TacoStand won the bet and anyone in the relative vicinity of denver should get together and buy Taco a beer.StrssdOut said:Hey, has anyone heard from RxnMan?
I hope RxnMan is SUPER hung over.
I was trying to post all day yesterday until about 1pm. Then I got the email. I was outright rejected. I would have been encouraged even if I was on the 3rd third, because that would have been an improvement over last year, but no such luck.gdbaby said:No and I am freakin' out. And, for what it's worth, TacoStand won the bet and anyone in the relative vicinity of denver should get together and buy Taco a beer.
I hope RxnMan is SUPER hung over.
This process is incredibly frustrating. I have made mistakes, but I'm not ashamed of them, and in every metric I've more than made up for it. Luckily, I don't need some stranger's opinion to make a difference in people's lives.
There are kids out there right now who can play with their classmates and enjoy a normal childhood because of my work. I do great things to help those around me every day. I think I can do more, much more by being a doc, but that's not necessary. In of myself, I already have the ability to change this world for the better, and it's the schools' mistake that I don't have my chance to extend it. In short, I'm going to go off and kick a$$ with or without them.
I am happy for all the rest of your guys, I know that you all worked hard to get in and you all wanted it. To those who didn't get in, I am with you. Thank you all for your support.
thefafo said:1:42 pm - I found out Middle third of the waitlist. I'm just relieved it's not a rejection, now the long wait begins. So I guess I'll be waiting for the rest of the year - hey starvin marvin, we could consol each other? 😉
Edit: I almost forgot. Congrats Gdbaby!
Yeah, maybe we should.... 👍
I hate to start this kind of speculation, but what do you think we should expect from the middle third. Anyone have any numbers from previous years? There's nothing like building false hope. 😀
RxnMan said:I was trying to post all day yesterday until about 1pm. Then I got the email. I was outright rejected. I would have been encouraged even if I was on the 3rd third, because that would have been an improvement over last year, but no such luck.
This process is incredibly frustrating. I have made mistakes, but I'm not ashamed of them, and in every metric I've more than made up for it. Luckily, I don't need some stranger's opinion to make a difference in people's lives.
There are kids out there right now who can play with their classmates and enjoy a normal childhood because of my work. I do great things to help those around me every day. I think I can do more, much more by being a doc, but that's not necessary. In of myself, I already have the ability to change this world for the better, and it's the schools' mistake that I don't have my chance to extend it. In short, I'm going to go off and kick a$$ with or without them.
I am happy for all the rest of your guys, I know that you all worked hard to get in and you all wanted it. To those who didn't get in, I am with you. Thank you all for your support.
Are you kidding me? I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting in, but you were a total shoe in. I can't believe you didn't get in, regardless of your GPA. Not to take anything away from those who got in, because they undoubtedly deserved it, but I'm not so sure CU knows what they're doing.
Sorry you didn't have more luck.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 912
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 893
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 673
- Replies
- 39
- Views
- 10K
Congrats, gdbaby! I've seen your posts around and have been following your saga. I'm very happy for you, the husband, and the kiddo!