Colorado Countdown!!

Started by gdbaby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BTW RxnMan, my husband and I had horrible food poisoning last year from corned beef and cabbage, so this year we are having Reubens, drinking Harp/Guiness/Bass, and watching basketball. Once my hubby falls asleep from excessive beer consumption, I will be watching "Roman Holiday."
 
gdbaby said:
BTW RxnMan, my husband and I had horrible food poisoning last year from corned beef and cabbage, so this year we are having Reubens, drinking Harp/Guiness/Bass, and watching basketball. Once my hubby falls asleep from excessive beer consumption, I will be watching "Roman Holiday."

mmmm... Bass...

If I'm lucky enough to win the pool, you'll have to suggest a good Irish pub with Bass on tap, cause that'll be my choice!
 
medicalbound said:
mmmm... Bass...

If I'm lucky enough to win the pool, you'll have to suggest a good Irish pub with Bass on tap, cause that'll be my choice!
I already have it picked. It's not an Irish pub, but we're going to Pints for Bass and fish-n-chips (battered salmon). Now THAT's a pre-orientation day!

Every year some of us bet a scotch sample at pints on the NCAA tourney. I have yet to win, but I am feeling lucky this year!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gdbaby said:
I already have it picked. It's not an Irish pub, but we're going to Pints for Bass and fish-n-chips (battered salmon). Now THAT's a pre-orientation day!

Every year some of us bet a scotch sample at pints on the NCAA tourney. I have yet to win, but I am feeling lucky this year!

I just looked up Pints on the Internet - it sounds exactly like what I was looking for. You are very useful to me 😉
 
medicalbound said:
I just looked up Pints on the Internet - it sounds exactly like what I was looking for. You are very useful to me 😉
That's what all the guys say.

Even if I don't get in, I am happy to give people new to Denver a city/neighborhood tour so you can know where the nice places are.
 
gdbaby said:
BTW RxnMan, my husband and I had horrible food poisoning last year from corned beef and cabbage, so this year we are having Reubens, drinking Harp/Guiness/Bass, and watching basketball. Once my hubby falls asleep from excessive beer consumption, I will be watching "Roman Holiday."
Ahhh...My Goodness, My Guinness! I will certainly be getting one of those later today. It's been awhile. I'll be celebrating a friend's b-day later at a bar, so thanks for reminding me.

Our potato races just got done. Both of our potato race entries (think of a tuber on pinewood derby chasis) were eliminated in the first round of racing, our "Darth Tater" took 3rd place in the beauty contest.
 
HA! On an unrelated note: I cannot find Shamrock Shakes anywhere!!!!! Here's a good recipe for a post-dinner/drinking sweet snack.

In a blender, mix:
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
8 drops green food coloring
 
gdbaby said:
HA! On an unrelated note: I cannot find Shamrock Shakes anywhere!!!!! Here's a good recipe for a post-dinner/drinking sweet snack.

In a blender, mix:
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
8 drops green food coloring

gd, I'm surprised at you. You forgot the Baileys.
 
medicalbound said:
gd, I'm surprised at you. You forgot the Baileys.
That conjures up a picture of going thru a mickey d's drive through with a shatter-proof bottle of Baileys and requesting that the server leave the lid off the cup! :laugh: Hmmm....I have some grocery shopping to do....
 
For some (well-deserved) reason I feel like I am going to get waitlisted on Monday. This is killing me. And if it snows as much as they say it is going to, I am going to be stuck at home with nothing to do but check my email--I feel like it is interview invite time all over again!
 
BTW, I went to Duffy's Shamrock for St. Patrick's Day and I was awesome. An Irish marching band came into the pub and played, pipes and drums. Anyway, the food is good and the band was pretty sweet. Just thought I would extend my only useful knowledge: denver bars.
 
My St. Patty's Day went as described in a post above. "Roman Holiday" was great.
Joe (my hubby) and I used to love going to Gabor's to watch the Sopranos. Have you been there MHC?

Got a babysitter and we're hitting the Cruise Room in the Oxford Hotel tonight.

So I was thinking: if we really get a lot of snow Sunday night, Sean might not even come into work on Monday!!!
 
gdbaby said:
BTW RxnMan, my husband and I had horrible food poisoning last year from corned beef and cabbage, so this year we are having Reubens, drinking Harp/Guiness/Bass, and watching basketball. Once my hubby falls asleep from excessive beer consumption, I will be watching "Roman Holiday."

Reubens ROCK!!!! 😀 I would LOVE a reuben right about now! I could use some cheering up after that USC SOM interview 🙁
 
gdbaby said:
My St. Patty's Day went as described in a post above. "Roman Holiday" was great.
Joe (my hubby) and I used to love going to Gabor's to watch the Sopranos. Have you been there MHC?

Got a babysitter and we're hitting the Cruise Room in the Oxford Hotel tonight.

So I was thinking: if we really get a lot of snow Sunday night, Sean might not even come into work on Monday!!!


I spent my St Pah-tees day in Columbia, SC....at least it was warm and sunny! I am in Athens, GA and will be heading home Sun/Mon....I will be thinking about you all the way back to Chicago GDBaby! NO WAITLIST FOR U - acceptance ALL THE WAY! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Damn it's gonna be hard to leave the south! Hmm....52 degrees at night vs 22 degrees.....hmm.....BUT I MISS THE TIMMY!!!!! 🙁

GO GD! GO GD! GO GD! 😀
 
gdbaby said:
So I was thinking: if we really get a lot of snow Sunday night, Sean might not even come into work on Monday!!!

I thought about this as well. What if Sean gets snowed in and can't get to the office until wednesday. Uggghhhh!!! I hope they already have the e-mails scheduled to be sent and do not depend on a human. I don't think I would be able to wait two days.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think whatever needed to be done could probably be done remotely by computer. It's all done by computer anyway, right? No problem. I wouldn't worry about it and expect it at 11:20 am Monday (that's my estimate). 🙂

I really wish y'all luck. :luck: :luck:

esp. gd. Girl, you go!
 
Weather update:

NOAA is predicting 7 -10 inches by tomorrow morning. Perhaps Sean has a Subaru?

I will keep everyone posted periodically throughout the day. Judging fromt heir status page on their wesite, I doubt this is an operation that pre-programs the emails to send out.

I am debating as to whether or not to change my email time on our bet to WEDNESDAY.

Thanks Shy and Timmy--you guys are the bomb. Shy, VCU is preparing your acceptance letter as we speak and Timmy, Loyola has been spending the weekend contemplating the error of their ways in putting you on the waitlist. Best of luck to both of you!!
 
gdbaby said:
I will keep everyone posted periodically throughout the day. Judging fromt heir status page on their wesite, I doubt this is an operation that pre-programs the emails to send out.

I was suprised by how many spelling errors there were on the secondary application web page. Not that I am especially picky about language, but it didn't look as professional as you would expect it to. Not that there is anything wrong with that CU ADCOM. Just making an observation, if your reading this.
 
Update: now they are expecting up to two feet of snow in the foothills and 10-14" in metro Denver.

I am worried and purchased an US Weekly to contain myself.
 
Dang. My husband is supposed to go over the mountains Tuesday to testify in court Wednesday morning. How does it look for then? Think he'll have to dodge celebrating CU accepted med students? Or will you all be drinking to kill the pain of waiting another day?
 
ShyRem said:
Dang. My husband is supposed to go over the mountains Tuesday to testify in court Wednesday morning. How does it look for then? Think he'll have to dodge celebrating CU accepted med students? Or will you all be drinking to kill the pain of waiting another day?
Good luck with that. They are now expecting at least a foot of snow in Denver. I doubt I-70 will be open by Tuesday. Of course denver forecasters are known for blowingthese storms out of proportion so we'll see.

Either way we will be drinking here at 16th Avenue!

Thanks for the luck Timmy, Shy and Risa!
 
I don't think I can take the suspense for more than one day! I already had all these plans made for tomorrow to keep my mind off of the decision. But unfortunately, I have to teach tomorrow, and I think that will make me not check my email until after the classes are done.....unless there is a snow day...then I will be checking every ten minutes.

Lisa
 
PS. Also drinking in Dacono, we can have one together (via SDN) tomorrow afternoon, regardless.
 
Okay, let's all plan for a group SDN drink tomorrow at 5 pm (MST) regardless of outcome!
 
There used to be just one bar in Dacono - a biker bar. What's the name of it, StrssdOut? Is it still there? I went and drank there with my buddies after I passed my CO firefighter 2 exam (I was the only female in the class). Back when Dacono was still a Mt. View FPD area (isn't it under Firestone now?).
 
gdbaby said:
Okay, let's all plan for a group SDN drink tomorrow at 5 pm (MST) regardless of outcome!
I'll be watching my kids at karate class - but I'll have a virtual drink with you in my daydreams at 5pm. 🙂

BTW: y'all BETTER post here tomorrow so when I check it after the kids go to bed I can drink a toast to your successes! 😛
 
ShyRem said:
I'll be watching my kids at karate class - but I'll have a virtual drink with you in my daydreams at 5pm. 🙂

BTW: y'all BETTER post here tomorrow so when I check it after the kids go to bed I can drink a toast to your successes! 😛
Shy, you and I can have our own personal SDN drinks after the kids go to sleep, say 9 pm?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The biker bar still reigns! It is called Jerry Dee's. I"ve never been there but in the summer they have horseshoes. I think I will have to pick up some booze and have my 5pm SDN drink at home. I just don't think anyone else will understand this kind of stress.

It sounds ridiculous, and I've hardly posted throughout this year, but watching everyone's posts and listening to everyone's stories, I just feel like you all understand how "pins and needles" this night is more than anyone.

If this snow delays the decision, I'm really gonna lose it, I might end up at Jerry Dee's afterall, horseshoes or no horseshoes.
 
Jerry Ds. That's right.. we just called it JDs. Back when the only thing in Dacono was the bar, 20 trailers that really needed to be burned down, and the fire station. And the fire station was on a dead end dirt road. Yeah, I'm dating myself. It didn't have horseshoes when I was there last (or at least not that I ever knew of - and I was there in the summer). It was just an itty bitty dirty biker bar that was fun as h#ll to go to. 🙂 Yup. Back when I was a size 8 with long curly hair past my butt fightin' fires, kickin' a$$ and stepping over the bodies without taking any names. Good times. yeah... 😀

Ok. Back to the Colorado countdown. I'm really pulling for y'all!
 
Loads of snow up north. Maybe I should see if I can find someone to teach for me tomorrow, I HATE driving in ice, and seeing as it has rained all day....tomorrow morning is NOT looking pretty.!
 
We have spring break this week. so it looks like I will be sledding with my son tomorrow!
 
Funny, not much snow in Littleton. I hope this storm lives up to all the buzz. Considering that I have been officially rejected from the other four schools I applied to, I think tonight will be especially nerve racking. I don't want to go through another year of applications and such.
 
Not too much snow in englewood. Less than 24 hours now assuming the snow doesn't interfere. Sooooooo anxious. Persian new year starts at 11:26am (exact moment of the vernal equinox), so I'll be celebrating something no matter what.
 
Well, there is certainly not enough snow to cause Sean to not come into work today. I think MileHighCajn is first to get dropped off the "timing game" after 10 am.
 
I did have Bailey's in my hot chocolate last night. I am going to assert my confidence in my time selection and go put the finishing details on my remodeled bathroom this morning. Then, I will head into my office to "work" (read: press refresh on my email and SDN)
 
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
Fishtacos: 11:24 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
thefafo: 12:25 pm
TacoStand: 1:01 pm
mariposaice: 2:15 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm
 
fishtacos said:
JayQuah: 1 dollar
MileHighCajn: 9:00-10:00 am, or perhaps in our morning email
ShyRem: 11:20 am
Fishtacos: 11:24 am
nigel: 12:01 pm
thefafo: 12:25 pm
TacoStand: 1:01 pm
mariposaice: 2:15 pm
MedicalBound: 3:31 pm
gdbaby: 3:36 pm
RxnMan: 4:00-4:15 pm
StrssdOut: 4:25 pm
I am calling MHC's time a wash and moving to ShyRem and Fishtacos.
 
How often are you guys checking your e-mail. So far, I have restricted myself to every hour, but I am sure that will shrink as the day goes on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My inbox is permanently open during the day on my work computer. Every time I hear the "new mail" chime, I drop what I'm doing and scramble back to my desk, oftentimes shoving co-workers out of the way and climbing over office furniture.

The suspense is truly killing me. And it's even worse for me because I'm on Eastern time. It's almost 2 pm here and still nothing...🙁
 
fishtacos said:
Are we sure we're suppose to find out today?
Not 100% positive (in which case JayQuah automatically wins the pool) but I interviewed on the last day and Sean said that he thought he would have them out by today (vs tomorrow).

How hard could it be? The ADCOM probably gives him the list of haves and have nots and have maybes, he checks off the appropriate names in an Access-like database and sends a mass email to those individuals with the appropriate message. Don't you think?

I have been good at not checking my email since I have been working on my bathroom. But I am about to head out to my office which means I will sit in front of my computer and have a stare-down. I might need to set my yahoo on "auto-refresh."

I feel pretty good since I know I am going SOMEWHERE next fall--ao I really want to extend wishes to everyone else--especially RxnMan and MHC.
 
It's officially the persian new year. What you do today is supposed to represent what you do for the rest of the year, so I suppose for the rest of the year I will be snowed in checking my e-mail every 5 minutes.