Colorado State c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeppelyn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! :hello: Calling all CSU hopefuls for the class of 2026! I'm a non-trad 2nd time IS applicant (3rd overall application, waitlisted OOS a few cycles ago) that's hoping for some good luck this time around.

Animated GIF

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I’m a non traditional 2nd time OOS applicant! Hoping for some good news. Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd time applicant but 1st time csu Oos

3rd time overall applicant - Second IS cycle for CSU

Hey everyone! :hello: Calling all CSU hopefuls for the class of 2026! I'm a non-trad 2nd time IS applicant (3rd overall application, waitlisted OOS a few cycles ago) that's hoping for some good luck this time around.

Animated GIF
first time OOS applicant. I wish I knew more about the school tbh it seems nice but I heard they have a capstone and I've always found them to be pointless.

Animated GIF
First time applying to Colorado OOS! Good luck everyone!!

Did anyone else's VMCAS app and LOR status change on the applicant portal? Mine still says "awaiting" and wasn't sure if anyone else was on the same situation.

Did anyone else's VMCAS app and LOR status change on the applicant portal? Mine still says "awaiting" and wasn't sure if anyone else was on the same situation.
Not yet! I think everyone’s status will be updated on October 31 for the application and LOR

Mine still says awaiting as well. I read somewhere in their website they download all applications on October 31st if I'm not mistaken.

Mine still says awaiting as well. I read somewhere in their website they download all applications on October 31st if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, that is correct. On the CSU applicant portal page it says “VMCAS materials will be downloaded from VMCAS, OCT 31, 2021”

1st-time non-traditional applicant. I'm 27 years old and just graduated from CSU with an equine science degree. I hope they let me come back to study vet med! I'm so anxious about decisions. We will hear in January, correct?

Reactions: 1 users
1st-time non-traditional applicant. I'm 27 years old and just graduated from CSU with an equine science degree. I hope they let me come back to study vet med! I'm so anxious about decisions. We will hear in January, correct?
Yes, all decisions are released early-mid January. Last year was January 4th but with the extension they could be closer to the 15th. Did you apply as an instate student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, all decisions are released early-mid January. Last year was January 4th but with the extension they could be closer to the 15th. Did you apply as an instate student?
Will the extension change that? I’m not sure if they pushed back their date to look at VMCAS applications or if it was always October 31? If it was the same, it may not really affect decision times

There's only a 2-3 day difference from last year's data freeze date and October 31st for VMCAS is the same. They also may not be looking at 3500+ applications like last year, but the website still gives a 2 week range for decisions. First week of January is my best guess. They sent out emails early in the morning on January 4th.

My vmcas app and lor status changed to received! Guess they updated things a little earlier than planned

Reactions: 2 users
I applied as out-of-state even though I was a CO resident for 9 years. I moved out of the state for a year for grad school and they snatched my residency :( That definitely is not in my favor. There's only a small percentage of OOS that they give spots to.

I applied as out-of-state even though I was a CO resident for 9 years. I moved out of the state for a year for grad school and they snatched my residency :( That definitely is not in my favor. There's only a small percentage of OOS that they give spots to.
I'm so sorry, that's crazy. Did you apply to other schools?

If you maintained your voting status, license, and car registration in CO I think they should still count you as a resident. If you attended your grad school as an OOS student you should still be a CO resident in their book. Sometimes they ask a question like "have you lived in the state for the past 12 months?" and while that may be a no for you it doesn't make you an OOS student so hopefully its just a mix-up.

This is my first time applying!! IS and I am soooo nervous I want to get into CSU so badly! Would be entering into vet school at 27!

Whoa! I’d love to see application statistics if they’re available somewhere. I am unable to find this on their site.
I only know because I was told by someone who's from CSU admissions and reads the vet school apps.

CSU's application rate went up 18% this year!:oops:
and last year at their rejection meeting they said it had increased a bunch too. :cryi: sometimes it feels like even though I am improving my application and working towards being more competitive, I'll never be able to compete with all the brand new applicants who are not only growing in number every year but are also more competitive right out of undergrad than the previous cycle. I'm going to keep trying but it's frustrating for sure!

Reactions: 5 users
2nd time OOS applicant. I applied for the C/O 2024 & didn't get in, so I took the year to get my Master's, and now I am applying again.

Second time applicant, out of state, non-traditional! CSU would be truly amazing but if their applicant pool keeps getting larger and larger... may just be a pipe dream for me :( Good luck everybody!!!! ❤️

Reactions: 2 users
This is my first time applying!! IS and I am soooo nervous I want to get into CSU so badly! Would be entering into vet school at 27!
I would be entering as a 28-year-old!

I applied to CO State and the Caribbean schools based on my outstanding pre-requisites! You?
I've been out of UG for a few years and working full time. I only applied to CSU my IS school.

Hi everyone! I'm also non-traditional (international) applicant, and this is my first cycle applying! I'll be 34 in March :)

and last year at their rejection meeting they said it had increased a bunch too. :cryi: sometimes it feels like even though I am improving my application and working towards being more competitive, I'll never be able to compete with all the brand new applicants who are not only growing in number every year but are also more competitive right out of undergrad than the previous cycle. I'm going to keep trying but it's frustrating for sure!
Did the rejection meeting help last year for your application this cycle? When did you hear back?

A larger pool does not always mean more competition. During times of crisis (economic recession/Pandemics etc) people often will decide to apply to schools as a backup plan. Often they make this choice while still not ready or truly competitive for programs like vet school. In the end, with so few vet schools in the world, and so many applicants are part of your stats, part luck to get in. There will always be far more excellent applicants than open seats. You just need to keep trying to stand out from the slush pile.

Did the rejection meeting help last year for your application this cycle? When did you hear back?
Honestly, it was informative but I wish they did more individual and personalized meetings. I know one of the schools did but I couldn't get a meeting fast enough and they all got taken. A lot of the answers to my questions had an air of "well I can't speak for your personal application but here's some general advice" and my issue is I am very average in every aspect of my application so Its hard to pinpoint what to focus on to improve. I chose to improve my research experience and GPA by doing a one year masters degree. hopefully that was the right choice. I'd recommend going regardless because there are definitely some helpful hints in there. I'll try and go again if Im rejected this round. (also I don't remember when I found out, I was rejected from 8 schools last year so its a lot to keep track of)

A larger pool does not always mean more competition. During times of crisis (economic recession/Pandemics etc) people often will decide to apply to schools as a backup plan. Often they make this choice while still not ready or truly competitive for programs like vet school. In the end, with so few vet schools in the world, and so many applicants are part of your stats, part luck to get in. There will always be far more excellent applicants than open seats. You just need to keep trying to stand out from the slush pile.
Yeah I totally get what you're saying! my first app was last cycle and they had over 3K applicants which was a huge increase from the year before and then they had even more this year so that's just an insane number. For me it's just like I think many applicants are qualified, so I feel like when I am trying to improve my application it's a bit redundant since my competition looks just like me and is doing all the same stuff so at this point its just luck of the draw or up to how the reviewer feels that day. Having it be kinda up to luck makes it worse imo. But I'm working hard to continue to be the best applicant I can be and that's all I can do and then hope for the best!

Hey all! I was in your spot a year ago applying to vet schools. I was in state for CA and so I’m an OOS non-sponsored student at CSU! I am also a student ambassador here so it is literally my job to answer questions and talk about our DVM program. Private message me and I’ll give you my email so I can get any of your questions about CSU answered!

Just to clarify also I would be a good person for questions about classes, curriculum, student life etc. more admissions process specific questions should definitely go to our admissions department :)

Reactions: 6 users
Hey all! I was in your spot a year ago applying to vet schools. I was in state for CA and so I’m an OOS non-sponsored student at CSU! I am also a student ambassador here so it is literally my job to answer questions and talk about our DVM program. Private message me and I’ll give you my email so I can get any of your questions about CSU answered!

Just to clarify also I would be a good person for questions about classes, curriculum, student life etc. more admissions process specific questions should definitely go to our admissions department :)
How generous are financial aid awards? how is the rent? how is the overall environment among the students? and What and how many men are in the average cohort ( I ask because men tend to apply less to vet med) ?