Columbia 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doggie said:
Yeah......simpsons did put it best............
Homer: canada........america's little brother
Hey doggie , come on man, I'm Canadian too! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Any progress on the decision Woodsy?

Just received the financial aid package from Columbia. So much paper work to be done/provided. Got a little scared looking at the PROMISORY NOTE. I've never borrowed from anybody before, so it's such a huge commitment to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
aileen said:
Just received the financial aid package from Columbia. So much paper work to be done/provided. Got a little scared looking at the PROMISORY NOTE. I've never borrowed from anybody before, so it's such a huge commitment to me.

Dont sweat it.......its an investment for your future......remember, all us SDNers are in the same boat ;)

I just finished all my exams...woohoo!

Thanks avingupta.

Hey, woodsy... Did you make up your mind yet? The 2nd deposit is due May 1.

aileen said:
Thanks avingupta.

Hey, woodsy... Did you make up your mind yet? The 2nd deposit is due May 1.
Hey Aileen, I sent in 1500 to the school once I got my acceptance so technically right now on paper I'm going to Columbia...

But no I haven't made up my mind yet since I have yet to speak with my dentist. I will see him on friday. and I'm also waiting for my marks to come back to see if I meet the provisonal GPA for U of T.

To my fellow Columbians, I hope you don't think I'm some stuck up arrogant bastard for real and would be a pain in the ass to work with. I'm just joking around and having some fun with some pre-dents in the other messages with my weird sense of humour.

Woodsy said:
Hey Aileen, I sent in 1500 to the school once I got my acceptance so technically right now on paper I'm going to Columbia...

But no I haven't made up my mind yet since I have yet to speak with my dentist. I will see him on friday. and I'm also waiting for my marks to come back to see if I meet the provisonal GPA for U of T.

To my fellow Columbians, I hope you don't think I'm some stuck up arrogant bastard for real and would be a pain in the ass to work with. I'm just joking around and having some fun with some pre-dents in the other messages with my weird sense of humour.

Yeah I already think your a HUGE arrogant bastard. Just HUUGE. :laugh:

Any guy around here going to live off campus next yr? around the upper west side..hopefully? roomate?

discolphie wouldn't it be cheaper to live on res?

did anyone get their res packages yet? I have yet to receive mine..

No I haven't received housing stuff yet either-or Fin Aid stuff-but I'm further from NY than you guys.

Living off campus is an option but do you want to deal with the commute and higher rent. Although oncmpus you have to deal with shared bathrooms and TINY space. I think personally I'll prob just stay oncampus and save the commute especially since its nyc.

Yeah I got my finan package too, and they only threw me 3gs. Thats so weak. How did you guys do?

I assume everyone received some financial aid from Columbia. Does anyone know when we should turn in our Master Promissiory Note? When should we decide our lenders? I know we should turn in our finacial aid offer acceptance form soon, but what should we do with our promisory note? Thanks...

Hercules4255

aileen said:

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the letter carefully, and it says that we will sign the promissory note at registration......

Hey Herc,

I called in and they told me that they prefer you turn all the info in within 2 weeks, but if needed there relaly is no dead line. I told them that I wanted to wait till june to turn it in cause i want to go over it with my parents and they said that was fine.

Also what lender are you guys going with? THE, Access, citibank?. And is anyone considerin loan consolidation?

Fred

Thanks, Fred...
I plan to visit Columbia next week... Hopefully, I can talk to them in person.

Hercules4255

Hope you have a good visit Herc! Let us know if you hear anything interesting regarding the start of classes.

I visited COlumbia's fin aid office on Wed, apparently they have lost my initial letter with student worksheets, so I decided to take in-person so that there is no way they can loose it :)
SO I think it will take me sometime before they mail my financial package, I am hoping for some help, it doesn' matter how much but SOME will be great:)
There is nothing to be heard about the next years, at least that's what they told me, they were way to busy with preparing the letters and current students. But this nice girl at the office was friendly and sayed they are waiting for us. Aww how nice of them. Well anyway, I just want to mention that the weather was absolutely gorgeous and the hospital area seemingly has transformed into a very good neighborhood: bright, active and lovely. I can't wait to finish my exams now( Even though I am pretty sad about leaving my current school, graduating and moving on) and join you guys next year.
Till then,
-Balki - the perfect Stranger

Which one of you future suckers, i mean, students would like to come in for comprehensive dental care starting this summer? :D

Doggie said:
Which one of you future suckers, i mean, students would like to come in for comprehensive dental care starting this summer? :D

i might be a slacker, but def. not a sucker! :mad: lol

the doctors i work with said i have no dental work to be done except for cleaning... damn, i wanted to get all the work done before i start school in august. at least i'm gonna push for zoom whitening. hey, i'm entitled for whitening after 2 years working full time at this dental office. don't u think so?

Most dental schools offer its matriculated students reduced fee/free care. I wager Columbia wouldn't be any different. Just something to consider before spending $$$$ on dental care before starting dental school-- You might be able to save some money if you wait until after you have registered as a student (unless one requires emergency care for things like an abscessed tooth or something).

Prices are 75% off for columbia dental students seeking dental care at columbia. Those future students in need of implants may recieve ONE free implant, however, the cost of the crown comes out of your pockets......with a 75% discount of course. :D

Aileen, dont sweat the whitening kit if your dentist wont give it to you. It only costs $25 to buy the Opalescent Whitening kit from the dental store in school. All my classmates have white teeth now. :D

Doggie said:
Stargirl...........which hot oral surgeon are u talking about?!?!?! HAHA

:D

here's hoping to getting oral surgery for my area of concentration hehehehe :p

Hey Columbians,

I just got in on the waitlist at columbia and im choosing between there and penn. I was hoping I could get some input from you guys. Thanks!

-S

Hey anyone know the gross anatomy book the class of 2008 will be using?

aileen said:
what about biochem?

Strayer? I thought it was an excellent book, and I believe many med/dental schools use it. I certainly hope it's not Lehninger, that one is long and oh so wordy.

you gunners!!! OMG!!!! it's May and you are already concenred with books????

ahhhhhhhh!

Woodsy said:
you gunners!!! OMG!!!! it's May and you are already concenred with books????

ahhhhhhhh!
HAHA you are right! I only have graduation today and already talking about the books for next semester, how silly of me!

Hey, I'm just curious! Also, it's called "SURVIVAL OF THE MOST PREPARED". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Only reason why I'm concerned is I'm hoping to maybe get the books real cheap on ebay or amazon since right now alot of kids of selling their books.

aileen said:
Hey, I'm just curious! Also, it's called "SURVIVAL OF THE MOST PREPARED". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As long as I am ready to go on Day 1 of class, there is no diff when i get my books.

it's almost tradition to buy your books from your big sib... try not to screw them over by buying your book somewhere else... :p

Has anyone received housing information yet?

P.S.-If you are graduating around now, CONGRATS!! :) :thumbup:

I received a thin package regarding student immunization. Also, the orientation date is set for Aug. 24-29. The class starts on the 30th. No info about housing yet.

aileen said:
I received a thin package regarding student immunization. Also, the orientation date is set for Aug. 24-29. The class starts on the 30th. No info about housing yet.

Alieen do you happen to know when the matriculation ceremony is?

thanks

The white coat ceremony is on Aug 27.

I've got the package today.

The famous White Coat Ceremony will take place on August 27, 2004...

You guys know your coat size? We need to order that soon....
Are you familiar to size of 32-50 stuff?.... All I know is I usually have an extra-large T-shirt....

damn i'm missing out with all the fun!!!!

The coats run in MEN's size????????????????????? :eek:

just get the same size white coat you wore in Ochem lab...

Wow you guys wore coats in Ochem lab?? My poor acid-stained clothes...

anyway, I received housing stuff.

I received housing information too but it was missing the dining information.

nyla24 said:
I received housing information too but it was missing the dining information.
Hmm I don't believe there is any dinning info, you are on your own in NYC's taughest neighborhood. I hear food shopping in WAsh Heights especially bad.
Can anyone else comment on this?

Balki said:
Hmm I don't believe there is any dinning info, you are on your own in NYC's taughest neighborhood. I hear food shopping in WAsh Heights especially bad.

Rummaging through the NY trash cans is an option

HAHA Fred,

You'd be surprised how much you can make that way.

Balki said:

there's a grocery store two blocks away... there's some resturants that are pretty cheap and others that are decent and you always have McDonalds and Wendy's...

*just wanted to add...times sq is only 20-30 mins away by A train... it's the best place to just walk around...so lively and beautiful :)

So basicallly remaining on the Atkins diet is out of the question????

Does anybody know what kind of scrubs (style, color, etc) we'll be wearing? What color scrubs are 1st year students required to wear? I need to replace my scrubs at work and figure I can save some $ if I buy the ones that are required by the school.

I have one more question. Do we have a break during winter, say around Christmas? I'm already planning on winter vacations. :)