**Columbia c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how likely my chances are if I am on the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad.

vandy_yankee said:
first year is fun!

first year is not fun. you'll be glued down by so much politix and pettiness, you'd think ur in a ******* party. **** that ****.

Halitosis said:
first year is not fun. you'll be glued down by so much politix and pettiness, you'd think ur in a ******* party. **** that ****.

wow, i can't believe b+u+k+k+a+k+e was censored out too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Halitosis said:
wow, i can't believe b+u+k+k+a+k+e was censored out too.

ROFL! Triple score for using b+u+k+k+a+k+e as an adjective with relation to dental school.

Anyone looking for a roommate off-campus?

Does anyone know if Columbia provides us with Loupes or if students have to buy them separately?!? .........
and when do students start to use them? 1st year pre-clinics?

^loupes are not provided, you'll need to buy them yourselves. about $1k. a few first years have just ordered them (the loupes company came by on vendor day).

Halitosis said:

don't tell me you're still mad at moss for yelling at you. school really wasn't THAT bad. painful, yes, but it's over--the post-spring break time has been pretty laid back and fun. you should just come out with all of us more often--i didn't see you at the formal or at the bar last night...come out with us all next time!

vandy_yankee said:
the loupes company came by on vendor day
When is Vendor Day, is that during orientation?

Cal Bears said:
Does anyone know how likely my chances are if I am on the alternate list?

Did you e-mail and call Dr. Manus to brownnose like he asked us to? If you did, then what are our chances of getting in? Hehehe

Where do Columbia Students eat?! anybody know?

In case anyone was wondering about the curriculum, here it is:

1st year - Oral Histology, Growth and Development
Sciences Basic to the Practice of Dentistry (biochem, genetics, cell bio, histology, physiology)
clinical human anatomy
human development
neural science
preclinical intro to patient care I (operative dent, pediatric dent, orthodontics, dental materials I)
oral radiology I
dental anatomy and occlusion
scientific inquiry and decision making in dent.
health promotion (nutrition substance abuse)
.... i know we spend the entire month of June just doing pre-clinics

2nd year-
pharmacology
molecular/cellular pathology
immunology
microbio/infectious diseases
intro to oral and maxillofacial surgery
oral radiology II
oral pathology
preclinical intro to patient care II (periodontics, endodontics)
pathophysiology
physical diagnosis/hospital clerkship
local anesthesia
cariology

3rd year-basic diagnosis and treatment planning
facial pain
area of concentration
pain and anxiety control
clinical oral pathology/medicine
principles and practice of oral and maxillofacial surgery
clinical practice of oral radiology
clinical practice of dentistry (prosthodontics, seminars in clinical dentistry)
preclinical special topics (ortho, implantalogy, pediatric, dental materials)
oral health care delivery
practice management
dental interviewing (intro to patient)
intro to clinical practice
tobacco cessation
spanish
ethics
cpr/medical emergencies
infection control
.... i know there's two days for clinics

4th year- area of concentration
clinical practice in: - endo - pediatric dent - extramural hospital rotation - child abuse recognition/reporting - perio- ortho
seminars in dental materials
senior interdisciplinary series
advanced diagnosis and treatment planning
clinical cancer training
geriatric dentistry

thanks Grasshoper, that list is very helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Grasshoper said:
Where do Columbia Students eat?! anybody know?

The cafeterias (Garden Cafe and Milstein), Jou Jou, Kuhinya, Shangrila, Parilla, Dallas BBQ, Famiglia, Mike's Bagels, Coogan's, Wendy's, Mc Donald's, Subway, Tasty Deli, In Vino Veritas, Aquamarina, Remi's Diner.....

are there any Starbucks or other coffee/breakfast shops nearby?

rajmahal1980 said:
I have no idea either.

So far all I have got was confirmation that they received my initial housing form. Nothing from financial aid.

Also my first deposit was sent Feb 10th and they still haven't withdrawn it from my account. I know someone had said it takes ages but I didn't think it would take this long. Is anyone else in same boat as me?

Hey Rajmahal1980, you said you got a confirmation from Housing. Was it through email or mail? Because I remember the housing packet said they would start accepting housing applications in May, but I don't even have the application in my hand to send back to them. And I have still yet to receive ANYTHING from Financial Aid!!

The confirmation I got was through regular mail. I got it a few days after I send them the initial application where it just asks if you want single or couples housing.

I haven't received anything else yet either!

I'm planning to go on vacation in June, so I hope everything is sorted by then.

By the way does anyone know when us out of towners should fly in to NYC. I live in San Diego so I'm hoping to buy my ticket before summer fares get too high.

I was thinking of flying in around August 10th. Would they let me in housing by then?

EyeAmCommi said:
Did you e-mail and call Dr. Manus to brownnose like he asked us to? If you did, then what are our chances of getting in? Hehehe

Hey EyeAmCommi, I was just wondering, are you still hoping to get into Columbia?
(I tried Private Messaging you, but your mailbox is full)

rajmahal1980 said:
After that, all I got was a confirmation letter saying that my housing application had been received. Nothing else yet!!

Wow, that was a quick response! haha, Thanks for replying so quickly, I guess I will have to call the Housing Dept. to see what's up. I haven't received any confirmation whatsoever.

LoL, that was funny, I just edited my message, but you were already able to respond to it. How did SDN become so fast? lol

hey, guys.
i spoke with someone from the housing office yesterday, and she said a housing application will be mailed out today. ;)

scentofj said:
hey, guys.
i spoke with someone from the housing office yesterday, and she said a housing application will be mailed out today. ;)

Cool, thanks for the update! I don't know why, but to me this signing up for housing thing is kinda fun, haha. I guess it makes me feel like an undergrad again

By the way, I just went over to PreDents.com and their poll goes something like this: "Question: How many schools do you still have a seat secured by a deposit?" and some of the answers are two or three! :eek: Are you allowed to keep spots at two or more schools??

enginerd are you coming to columbia or ucla?

raZ10 said:
enginerd are you coming to columbia or ucla?

I wish I knew. I just got accepted to UCLA last week which means I only have a few days to decide. Talk about cutting it close.

(I tried Private Messaging you, but your mailbox is full)

ScorpiORTHO said:
The cafeterias (Garden Cafe and Milstein), Jou Jou, Kuhinya, Shangrila, Parilla, Dallas BBQ, Famiglia, Mike's Bagels, Coogan's, Wendy's, Mc Donald's, Subway, Tasty Deli, In Vino Veritas, Aquamarina, Remi's Diner.....

Scorpio, are you happy at Columbia? Do you feel :love: for your school?

Is anyone getting a tablet pc?
I know it has been discussed already, but is it really worth spending extra $$$ to get a tablet pc? :confused:

Hello all... Just wanted to say hi and that ill be joining you in August! Ive been reading this thread for awhile but havent gotten around to posting so here i am! ANyway, quick reminder to anyone who hasnt done so: Send copies of your (and your parent's) Federal Tax Forms to Financial aid. They were due on the 17th. I had no clue and just happened to stumble on the information on their website.

Hi Everyone,

I received my student couples housing application today. I was wondering if anyone can comment on the difference between the 4 choices of couples apartments:

- JR-1 Bedroom Apt (Bard-Haven Tower I)
- 1 Bedroom Apt (Bard-Haven Tower I,II,III)
- 106 Haven Ave
- 154 Haven Ave

Namely if anyone who has seen or is currently living in any of these can describe size (sq. ft.), layout, etc... They vary in price significantly so I'm trying to figure out which to choose.

Thanks!

jeanniebluebird said:
Hello all... Just wanted to say hi and that ill be joining you in August!

Welcome aboard, jeanniebluebird.

GrillZ said:
Namely if anyone who has seen or is currently living in any of these can describe size (sq. ft.), layout, etc... They vary in price significantly so I'm trying to figure out which to choose.

Sorry, i'm not of any help. Did you try calling the housing office about this?

........ and welcome back from your trip, hope it was fun! :)

Grasshoper said:
Does anyone know if Columbia provides us with Loupes or if students have to buy them separately?!? .........
and when do students start to use them? 1st year pre-clinics?

No-you have to buy your own loupes. I think most students started using them either end of first year or beginning of 2nd year (I feel like it was more the beg. of 2nd year.)

Companies usually come and do presentations and do the fittings right there and they give a discount as well I believe.

Hope that helps!

hey everyone... I got my financial aid award package and housing application today. Just thought I'd share so that those who haven't gotten them yet can expect them soon~ Is anyone else as confused as I am about loans? :eek:

just wanted to say hi and that i too will be seeing you all in august :) i'm basically in the same boat as jeannie... i've been keeping steady tabs on this thread, but i finally decided that it was time to starting posting on it! But on to business... since we're apparently starting to get housing application materials about where we actually want to live, has anyone made a decision about which building you want? i know there was some discussion of it earlier, but no real concensus. i just want to know where my classmates are going to be!

welcome, jeanniebluebird & Mand577~ ;)

Does anybody know if there is a significant price difference between Bard, Georgian, and Towers? I was thinkin I'd like to stay in Bard for at least the first year then go from there, but if the price of Georgian/Towers is the same, screw that...might as well get a kitchen with it...

hey is everyone dorming? and is it required to get a laptop?

yep, a laptop is required.

Just got my financial aid letter today. They are are only offering me $8500 in Stafford loan and $6000 in Perkins loan.

I had an EFC=0 but now I have to find about $50k in loans! :(

Any ideas?

rajmahal1980 said:
Just got my financial aid letter today. They are are only offering me $8500 in Stafford loan and $6000 in Perkins loan.

Any ideas?
Raj, I just got my letter too and don't really know how I'm gonna cough up the rest of the money. I'm sure Lynn will have some answers for us tomorrow. Chin Up! :thumbup:

rajmahal1980 said:

Any ideas?

I got a similar letter with similar figures I assume (since my EFC was 0 too)~ Now, what are we supposed to do? If we accept the package are we supposed to find out about the other loans (that they listed in the package) and apply for them on our own or are those automatically going to be offered to us? I'm so confused... :confused:

Also, does anyone know when the deadline for our official transcript is?

LadyxJC said:
Also, does anyone know when the deadline for our official transcript is?

I'm pretty sure it's August 1st

Hey guys and gals. Im new here. Ill be attending Columbia this fall also. Looking foward to meeing you all. I wondering if there was anything wrong with taking my current classes pass/no pass. I was thinking no, but theres always those unforseen things that might get me later.

has anyone heard from the housing office yet?
i requested a single studio at georgian or 154 haven...just a little curious what things are gonna be like.
do you guys know when the housing office will inform us re rooms??

THANK YOU

Welcome, Buttertooth!
as long as the courses aren't prereqs, they wouldn't care less if you take it pass/fail or letter grade. Columbia works on a pass fail system anyway, so i don't think it would hurt if you take courses pass fail as long as you pass.

For all of you guys with questions about finaid, you should really contact the financial aid office. They're usually very good about responding to emails, it's better to get the information straight from them than something you hear from an internet forum ;) Good luck, and remember that you can always eat Ramen noodles 4 nights a week too!

Please let me know what you all find out regarding the financial situation. I haven't gotten my financial aid letter yet, because I'm missing some forms. But I've been sitting on pins and needles reading these posts....It's so odd that they're giving you so little loans...what about the unsubsidized stafford loan? That would be about 30000k. And of course, there should be CU loans as well.

Please keep me posted about what they say when you call. Thanks!

Hi everybody! I still haven't received my financial aid or housing application yet (I feel like I'm always the last to receive stuff in the mail :p ), but it doesn't look good. I have a EFC of 0 too so I'm expecting to get as little financial aid as LadyxJC and rajmahal1980. Has ANYBODy received a scholarship of any sort so far?

Ok so I called the financial aid office and basically they said we had to ask for the unsubsidized loans.

There is a form where you can request changes to your award letter. From my understanding all grad students can get up to $30,000 in unsubsidized Stafford loans per year.

Of course with unsubsidized loans you have to start paying the interest right away. So I think the financial aid people want us to look at alternative loans first.

I think raj is right about having to request consideration for the unsubsidized stafford loans. My EFC was around 3000 and I still got the full Stafford amount (38,500). For the rest I'm probably gonna have to take out an alternative loan through citibank or something since I dont have any other resources.

And Im pretty sure the unsubsidized stafford loans are much better than alternative loans because the alternative loans tend to have higher interest rates. Plus the stafford interest rate is capped at 6.8% starting in July.

Housing Tips:
Georgian is close to class (across the street) and is not bad, you get room, living room, kitchen and bathroom. View inside and outside is not as pretty as Towers. (EST $580-$800)

Towers is a couple blocks away but still not too far. You get bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom. View is amazing in some rooms. (EST 600-$1100).

Bard Dorms is a couple blocks away, not far at all. You get bedroom and dorm style bathroom. Shared kitchen with a whole lot of people. (EST $550-$700)

Financial Aid:
Almost no one gets scholarships. You take out private loans through the school. You can ask for the max by filling out the proper forms they send you. Please call or email financial aid for more information.

Orientation Week:
Please come early and have your party hats on. We will be out until moon becomes the sun :)p) everynight.

Relax. Enjoy your last few months of break before you come to dental school.

I will show all you girls around the campus and NYC...guys you can find your own way around. (jp)

I want Georgian baby. Those extra steps from Bard in winter are going to be the ones that drop your internal body temperature. And it doesnt get any more convenient to hop on the subway to head downtown does it?

PegaNinguem <-- has spent a good part of the time since 2001 in traffic.