Columbia coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone filled out coursework on their website? My school classifies B+ as 3.5 and they say that B+ is 3.3. What did other people do?

Members don't see this ad.

i didn't even check their system - assuming it was the same as amcas? oh well - its gone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jot
i didn't even check their system - assuming it was the same as amcas? oh well - its gone.

yup, same.

It is not. AMCAS checks your schools grading system. So if in my school B+ is 3.5, AMCAS will recognize B+ as 3.5
If all my B+'s will be 3.3's instead of 3.5's, it going to kill my GPA :mad:
I am going to call them tomorrow.

wow I've never heard of a B+ being 3.5. I shoulda gone there! :D

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
It is not. AMCAS checks your schools grading system. So if in my school B+ is 3.5, AMCAS will recognize B+ as 3.5
If all my B+'s will be 3.3's instead of 3.5's, it going to kill my GPA :mad:
I am going to call them tomorrow.

Ummm....I'm not so sure about that. In fact, I think the point of AMCAS is to make sure that everybody's B+ is a 3.33 (in fact, it may just be 3.3).

I believe the breakdown is as follows:
A: 4.0
A-: 3.7
B+: 3.3
B: 3.0
B- 2.7
C+: 2.3
C: 2.0
C-: 1.7
D+: 1.3
D: 1.0
D-: 0.7
F: 0.0

or maybe +'s are x.67 and -'s are x.33. I forget.

Originally posted by qweewq11
wow I've never heard of a B+ being 3.5. I shoulda gone there! :D

No, it does not really help. In my classes when you get 85- 89%, you get a B+. I wish we had that A- system because I would have more A-'s than B+'s. The classes where I got B+'s were around 86-89%. That would be totally suck if I have to enter 3.3 instead of 3.5. AMCAS tells me that my B+ is 3.5 though

Just put your amcas. I am not even sure they really check. Last year, I didn't list some cc courses I took in HS (although they count on amcas) although they helped my grade, I thought it would look stupid and forgot to take these out of my amcas and listed the amcas, science and non-science breakdown. If they had checked they would have realized it didn't add up....however, remember they receive you transcripts directly so make sure if you are a straight forward applicant you have no funny business going on...

without a doubt- a B+ is not a 3.5 no matter what school you came from. the whole point of amcas grading is to normalize your grades in order to make soem basis of comparison (barring other minor factors like the rigor of your school). the list acadet put up is correct.
-jot

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
And BTW your "B+" would've been just a B in my school. .... Grade inflation?

well, your b+'s (3.5's) would have been b's or b+'s at my school (3.0's or 3.3's)....

seriously, though, there is no way they will want you to enter it as 3.5. the whole point is to make everyone's system equal.

Schools are different. Soemtime schols would have moe inermidiate grades like A- (3.7) or B+ (as 3.3). In my school, there is only B+ (3.5) and there is no A-. It is a small pravite liberal art college. I guess that B+ is an average between A and B, but to get it a person would have to be closer to A than to B Imagine getting 88.5% on Gen Chem and still end up with a 3.50 not with a 3.70. Unfair!

UT was the most unfair with thei application. They told me that I should enter my B+ which 3.5 just as B and then provide them with a description. AMCAS was however pretty good about the whole thing.

I talked to Columbia people and they told me that I have to check out some box there and everything is going to be alright. So I will see.

what do you get when you end up with a 90 or 92?

i went to a small liberal arts college as well. at my school you didn't get an a- for an 88.5, you got a b+ (3.3). if the teacher wasfeeling very generous he/she might give you an a- if he/she had given away very few a's/a-'s. otherwise, you'd get a b+.

Every instructor would have his/her own grading scale. As I said that we do not have A- that is why B+ is the only intermediate grade between A and B so it is gatta be 3.5. I just feel that you really cannot compare grades of the individuals whose schools used different grading scales. Imagine that getting 88.5% in a class may be an A or A-, or B+ (3.5 in my case or 3.3 on Lola's). Are there are school which do not have intermediate grades at all?
Well, I have to come back to work ... or I mean studying for MCAT at work.