Columbia MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone who is still waiting on Columbia? Seems like a lot of admits and rejects are out. I wonder why I have not heard back.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who is still waiting on Columbia? Seems like a lot of admits and rejects are out. I wonder why I have not heard back.

I'm still waiting as well. I'm not sure what the hold up is. lol

I'm waiting as well. I submitted to SOPHAS Jan 15th though, so I'm sure I'm at the back of the line. If I do get in, it's gonna be a REALLY tough choice between Columbia and Yale. They're both great programs but also very different. It may come down to financial aid at the end of the day....

Members don't see this ad :)
For those also waiting on Columbia, I thought I'd chime in.

Yesterday I emailed someone in admissions whom I had met with when I was in NYC last month. I haven't received any email confirmation of application receipt (I submitted for January deadline), which was making me nervous, so wanted to confirm that my application was at least under review. She didn't respond to that point directly, but here's what she said, just this morning:
Decisions started going out last week and will continue to be sent in batches through the end of the month. You should be hearing soon!

Well, I guess a batch is being sent out today!!!! I got an email about a half hour ago with my decision notification—I got in to Columbia!!! I was admitted to the full-time MPH program in SMS with a certificate in Environmental Health Policy.

So excited!! Good luck to everyone who's waiting!

Just got my decision as well. Got into Columbia (Population & Family Health, Global Health Certificate)! This is gonna be a tough choice. If I get into Hopkins it's gonna be a decision b/w Yale, Columbia, and Hopkins MSPH. Yikes!

Got my decision: REJECT. No biggie though, BU merit award was too good to decline anyways.

I got an email from Mailman last friday and accepted on saturday for healtlh policy and management... i am so pumped! going for april 13th admitted students day!

Hi, i am from india and i have got into columbia mph program...but i have heard that around 168th street is not the safest area to stay...is this true? shud i consider stayin elsewhere or on campus itself? would really appreciate any kind of help.

Hi, i am from india and i have got into columbia mph program...but i have heard that around 168th street is not the safest area to stay...is this true? shud i consider stayin elsewhere or on campus itself? would really appreciate any kind of help.

people who have been hearing from columbia..did you ever get a confirmation of your application being received?

people who have been hearing from columbia..did you ever get a confirmation of your application being received?

i never got a confirmation from Columbia. SOPHAS submitted my application on 1/31 I got acceptance letter yesterday.

Got my FinAid package today. Looks like tuition is $49,500 for the first year. Not sure if it'll be added the second year...

Budget Category Amount
Tuition 49,500
Computer Fee 360
Health Service Fee 1,086
ISSO Fee 100
Student Activity Fee 100
Transcript Fee 95
Living Expenses 9,000
Books & Supplies 1,200
Health Insurance Fee 3,363
Personal Expenses 3,174
---------
Budget Totals 67,978

I would like to briefly revive this thread.

Is anyone else noticing that there seems limited leeway with regards to picking elective courses? Columbia offers a number of interesting courses. However, after the required core, the required classes w/in your chosen discipline, and the required classes w/in your chosen certificate, you are really left with TWO - maybe three - classes from which to choose electives.

I had thought about applying to the HPM Dept w/ a Global Health Certificate. This essentially comes out to Global Health (Policy Focus). However, after all the required classes, there is really very little room to tailor one's certificate except for 2 classes. This is unfortunate.

This varies from some programs. For instance, at Harvard's MPH you can choose a number of different courses that fulfill your chosen concentration. Other than the public health core classes, there are no specific classes that need to be taken in order to fulfill a concentration. You can pick classes from Group A or Group B, and these can fill your concentration requirements - at least, in CMP's Policy Focus.

It seems to me there is little flexibility in CU's curriculum or at least limited room to tailor the certificate aspect.

what is easier to get admission into? is it accelerated mph-general public health or columbia mph epidemiology? any views..

It will depend on your experience. If you have significant public health experience and already hold or are working towards an advanced degree (MD, etc), the accelerated general mph track is probably going to be easier for you to get into.

But if you can explain why an Epi mph makes senses for you, you might have a better chance at the Epi route. Just keep in mind Epi programs are traditionally one of the hardest concentrations to get into - you can look at ASPH admissions data if you want the numbers.

I graduated from Columbia with MPH in Epidemiology. Private message me any questions regarding NYC or Columbia.

Cheers

I just got into Columbia for epi. Got the email on 3/14 :) no news on financial aid yet though