Columbia or Maryland??? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GolferGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Columbia and Maryland and I am really 50/50. Columbia is such a good school, and if I want to specialize it's definitely the place to go. I'm not sure if I fit in with the people there.
I really enjoyed Maryland when I was there, but I know it's not as good of a school. The new facilities are great, and I think I'd enjoy Baltimore a lot, but would I be giving up something really good by passing up Columbia???

Members don't see this ad.

go where you feel more comfortable... maryland... you will still be able to specialize

GolferGirl said:
I am trying to decide between Columbia and Maryland and I am really 50/50. Columbia is such a good school, and if I want to specialize it's definitely the place to go. I'm not sure if I fit in with the people there.
I really enjoyed Maryland when I was there, but I know it's not as good of a school. The new facilities are great, and I think I'd enjoy Baltimore a lot, but would I be giving up something really good by passing up Columbia???

Just a question...What makes you think University of Maryland is not as good of a school than Columbia? Dental schools are not rated like medical schools are.

Members don't see this ad :)
NoBraces said:
Just a question...What makes you think University of Maryland is not as good of a school than Columbia? Dental schools are not rated like medical schools are.

Well, truthfully I guess because Columbia is an Ivy League school. I mean the name impressed me, that's for sure. Plus, most of the students go on to specialize because they get such a solid educational background. But who knows...maybe Maryland is just as good...?

i say wait until you get accepted before you ask this question.

GolferGirl said:
Well, truthfully I guess because Columbia is an Ivy League school. I mean the name impressed me, that's for sure. Plus, most of the students go on to specialize because they get such a solid educational background. But who knows...maybe Maryland is just as good...?

You do know the ivy league thing is about the sports teams that competed with each other from those 8 universities.

If I were you I'd suggest you see which school has the better curriculum for your needs and aspirations. Ivy league or not you are going to spend 4 years of your life and a lot of money in one of those schools and you need to determine which school will provide you with what you need.

I know that the ivy league thing is important to a lot of people but a degree in dentistry is not like a law degree or an MBA; it does not matter much where you go to get your DDS/DMD.