columbia p&s update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my secondary application to columbia early october and I still haven't received a confirmation email saying my application is completed. For those of you who are in the same situation, I called and found out that they're still "opening mails this week." (althought i thought it was entirely an online application and i was a little confused why they were receiving mails). Columbia is on a non-rolling admission and they review applications on an alphabetical (by last name) basis. The lady also said that they will finish "opening mails" by thanksgiving hoilday.

i was wondering, thsoe of you who have receive an interview invite to columbia....what is the first letter of your last name? :p

btw..does anyone have the link to columbia's status check page?

Members don't see this ad.

Last name: C

Interviewed on 11/3

MiaFLSurf said:
Last name: C

Interviewed on 11/3

Hmmm...I doubt that it's THAT exact of a science, but I guess the adcom people have to say something!

Anyways...

Last name: T
Interview Date: 11/30 (supposed to be 11/18/; had to r/s)

Members don't see this ad :)
Last name: M
Interview Date: 10/22 (complete 08/29)

Last Name: D
Interview: 10/18 (yesterday!)

yeah, I'm towards the end of the alphabet and I interviewed in sept. theres probably more to it than just by last name.

sdnstud said:
I submitted my secondary application to columbia early october and I still haven't received a confirmation email saying my application is completed. For those of you who are in the same situation, I called and found out that they're still "opening mails this week." (althought i thought it was entirely an online application and i was a little confused why they were receiving mails). Columbia is on a non-rolling admission and they review applications on an alphabetical (by last name) basis. The lady also said that they will finish "opening mails" by thanksgiving hoilday.

i was wondering, thsoe of you who have receive an interview invite to columbia....what is the first letter of your last name? :p

Did you send in your picture? I had the same situation - I didn't receive an e-mail about my application being complete, so six weeks or so after I submitted my application online, I called them and they gave me this excuse with the mail system, and to call them in another week. A week later, I got an e-mail from them, saying that I never submitted a picture and that my application was not complete (even though I remember sending that picture in). I don't think the alphabetical thing would be a reason why your app was taking so long to be filed as complete.

Has anyone tried contacting Columbia with one of those "I'm in the neighborhood during this period, would you be able to interview me?" I'm going to be in NYC in January and thought that I'd drop them a line, I was curious if anyone had tried this tack?

DianaLynne said:
Has anyone tried contacting Columbia with one of those "I'm in the neighborhood during this period, would you be able to interview me?" I'm going to be in NYC in January and thought that I'd drop them a line, I was curious if anyone had tried this tack?

Hey Diana! I tried that last year, and they were really nice about it. And I'm not just trying to talk up my school. ;)

I think I said something along the lines of... "I'm living in NC, and I'll be interviewing at schools X and Y the week of ____. If an invitation to interview to Columbia is forthcoming, would it be possible to schedule it within these dates?"

They told me they would get back to me, but I had an invitation to interview in the mail later that week (scheduled for the time I planned to be in NYC)!

Best of luck :luck:

sdnstud said:

You are supposed to get an email when you are complete.

I was comlete in late July but didnt get the confirmation email until a couple of weeks ago (they sent me an email saying they didnt have my letters, then I resent them and I was complete like two weeks later).

They seem to take a long time.

I should have been complete since mid-August. I still haven't recieved any kind of confirmation. When I called, the lady was really rude and didn't get anywhere.

dr.z said:
I should have been complete since mid-August. I still haven't recieved any kind of confirmation. When I called, the lady was really rude and didn't get anywhere.

Hey, I just wanted to wish you all luck in your application to P&S; it is an awesome school and I am glad it was my 1st choice. If you have any questions PM me.

Good Luck,
RA

Was anyone else frightened by the enthusiasm of the Columbia med. students on their interview date? I'm convinced they're all on some prozac ritalin/cocktail. I want in.

AnnieShiro said:
Was anyone else frightened by the enthusiasm of the Columbia med. students on their interview date? I'm convinced they're all on some prozac ritalin/cocktail. I want in.

pretty soon you can partake in that prozac ritalin/cocktail too! sound slike a great deal..med school and drugs!! I can't wait!