jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
How long does it take Columbia to respond after they interview you? I still haven't heard from them, and it's been like two or three weeks.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
jk5177 said:
How long does it take Columbia to respond after they interview you? I still haven't heard from them, and it's been like two or three weeks.
It's a good sign. Dr. M said rejection comes more quickly than acceptance. No news is good news.

Okazaki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Status
jk5177 said:
Yeah... that's right man... You and I are in the same boat since we interviewed together. Did you hear news from anyone else at our Columbia interview?

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Okazaki said:
Yeah... that's right man... You and I are in the same boat since we interviewed together. Did you hear news from anyone else at our Columbia interview?
Not that I know of. I don't remember much of them. It was all a blur.

I'm considering of going to Columbia as oppose to UCLA. What you think?

EkksDee

-xD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
jk5177 said:

do u mind telling me ur stats??i would love to go to columbia but have not heard a word from them.O why are u considering columbia..UCLA is such a good school :thumbup: But i guess whatever suits you best :D Good luck buddy :luck:

Okazaki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Status
jk5177 said:

Hey jk5177.

Well, I really can't say much about UCLA. I never researched Westcoast schools. I only know that they're pretty difficult to get into.

Columbia's got the name and strong bio-medical program just like you said... but for me, I think that your performance as a dentist is a direct result of your clinical training. I believe that anyone has the potential to be a great practitioner at any school, but I think that going to a strong clinical school such as UMDNJ or Temple (.....just to state "some" examples) would really give you an edge in great training to be confident in all aspects of performing procedures.... and that's a safe play I think... compared to going to an average clinical school with a high priority on research. True, many have pre-concieved expectations to pursue a specialty, so the clinical isn't really greatly important, but for most... that opportunity won't happen, and for those, they'll have to settle with being a GP, or an educator even though it wasn't their intended plan. If you're not up to par in performing proceedures by graduation, then you have to look into GPR's or AEGD's. Some schools even make it manditory. So for me, gaining superb clinical experience while hoping to get into a great specialty program at an awesome specialty school like Columbia would be the best way to go... in my view.

Okazaki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Status
jk5177 said:

So you said that you are going to Columbia as opposed to UCLA? does that mean that you got into both already?

If yes, then that's great man! congratulations!

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Well. I got in UCLA, but I'm just being optimistic about Columbia. I haven't heard from them yet.