Columbia vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@armydentalstudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I heard back from both of these school yesterday but am conflicted on which one I should choose. Sadly, I did not get into my state school, so the cost is going to be quite high. I checked the dental school explorer, and both of these schools are similar in price. Also, they are similar in prestige, so it's hard to compare them.

I would say the things that separate them in my mind are the location and the grading systems. Columbia is located in NYC, and since I haven't lived in a city like that, I'm not sure if I'll like the crowdedness. Columbia also has P/F grading, and I am hopeful that it will make things less competitive. However, for Penn, I think the location would be nicer, but they don't have P/F grading. Since I haven't been able to visit either school, I don't really know what other pros/cons there are. Any input would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools are really expensive, but you also have to factor in how much more expensive it is to live in NYC vs. Philly! I personally eliminated Columbia based on that factor alone. It's an amazing school and I really loved it but I couldn't justify the cost if I could go to a school that was less money and just as amazing.

Penn doesn't have P/F but there also isn't any ranking so it doesn't really feel as competitive. Maybe someone from Columbia could speak more about their experiences though since I only have attended Penn and that's all I know haha. You really can't go wrong with either option! Congrats!

Of course, both schools are excellent. However, when I visited Columbia, I had a strong negative reaction to the location. When I visited Penn, my feelings were exactly the opposite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn gives you a much better clinical education. Regardless of whether you want to specialize, I think it's important to learn how to be a dentist and practice it while in school.

Penn gives you a much better clinical education. Regardless of whether you want to specialize, I think it's important to learn how to be a dentist and practice it while in school.
Personally, from what I have seen from friends at Penn the delta in clinical education is slim to none. Definitely doesn't make the lack of Pass-Fail worth it IMHO. Plus Penn is more expensive.

Both schools are really expensive, but you also have to factor in how much more expensive it is to live in NYC vs. Philly! I personally eliminated Columbia based on that factor alone. It's an amazing school and I really loved it but I couldn't justify the cost if I could go to a school that was less money and just as amazing.

Penn doesn't have P/F but there also isn't any ranking so it doesn't really feel as competitive. Maybe someone from Columbia could speak more about their experiences though since I only have attended Penn and that's all I know haha. You really can't go wrong with either option! Congrats!
WaHi isn't as expensive as the rest of NYC but Philly is definitely cheaper. Penn's tuition last I checked is higher though so likely comes out to wash depending on how frugal you want to live.

P/F is worth it's weight in gold to me personally lol. but having visited Penn to see some friends there I get the attraction. I love the clinic at Penn as well and the fact you have your own stand alone building. Really can't go wrong either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Residencies still see your gpa from Penn so it’s not like you can take things easier as opposed to Columbia

Residencies still see your gpa from Penn so it’s not like you can take things easier as opposed to Columbia
I don't think P/F implies that you can take thing easier! I've heard from people at P/F schools that their exams are still really difficult to "pass." Of course you don't have to worry about grades as much, but if there's internal ranking within a P/F system, then that system is kinda pointless imo. I don't know if Columbia internally ranks but I know some places (more med schools) have P/F grading but still internally rank students.