Columbia Waitlist.....Thread i guess

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sven said:
Let me guess...he spent the first half of a long interview asking you questions, and the second half of the interview telling you how great Columbia would be for you. Then the waitlist...

Start writing.
WTF! You got the same treatment?

I left there convinced that I was in. I feel so used and icky, not to mention naive. I haven't felt that way since I was a thirteen year-old girl. Wait a sec...that wasn't me. Nevermind about that last part.

Members don't see this ad.

tommerbommer said:
WTF! You got the same treatment?

I left there convinced that I was in. I feel so used and icky, not to mention naive. I haven't felt that way since I was a thirteen year-old girl. Wait a sec...that wasn't me. Nevermind about that last part.

there is something ridiculously freaky about the columbia adm process. first we go through great interviews with the dean and are told how perfect we are for the school. then we get hand-written letters about how strongly under consideration we are. then we get a waitlist letter telling us how highly ranked we are. according to the waitlist thread last year, then they keep telling us how highly ranked we are until we finally stop believing them in like, mid-July. wtf columbia? :confused:

aprilshyla said:
there is something ridiculously freaky about the columbia adm process. first we go through great interviews with the dean and are told how perfect we are for the school. then we get hand-written letters about how strongly under consideration we are. then we get a waitlist letter telling us how highly ranked we are. according to the waitlist thread last year, then they keep telling us how highly ranked we are until we finally stop believing them in like, mid-July. wtf columbia? :confused:
And just think: we probably would've gotten in if we had spent less time studying and more time playing rugby...

Members don't see this ad :)
columbia's rugby team isnt good anyway... i went to another new england school and we always beat the crap out of columbia.

aprilshyla said:

mine went way differently - he never spent part of the interview telling me how perfect i was for the school :rolleyes: I expected rejection but then got the waitlist...

Aprilshyla, were you getting handwritten letters from him???? Anyone else get handwritten notes???

rme04 said:
columbia's rugby team isnt good anyway... i went to another new england school and we always beat the crap out of columbia.

the p&s students have their own team that plays other med schools and local nyc teams... and we were national champs!

So I finally got my letter yesterday :rolleyes: and I'm waitlisted. I recall seeing this brought up once and I just scoured these threads searching for references to the waitlist letter lingo, but I'm still confused.

Is waitlist same as the alternate list? From what I gather, everyone gets the same letter saying you're "highly ranked" but there's not much said about being an alternate, whatever that means. I hate to perpetuate the overanalyzation of these letters, but how were your letters phrased?

I'm so pathetically obsessed that I looked at Frantz's signatures on both the waitlist letter and his reponse to my thank-you and found they were completely different - I'm not sure if it's worse to note that difference or get the automatically printed signature.

I never thought I would describe the "action" of waiting as a grueling process, and yet it has barely begun.

I just realized how depressing that post was - on a brighter note, spring break is coming up! Yay!

Reactions: 1 user
Realest said:
So I finally got my letter yesterday :rolleyes: and I'm waitlisted. I recall seeing this brought up once and I just scoured these threads searching for references to the waitlist letter lingo, but I'm still confused.

Is waitlist same as the alternate list? From what I gather, everyone gets the same letter saying you're "highly ranked" but there's not much said about being an alternate, whatever that means. I hate to perpetuate the overanalyzation of these letters, but how were your letters phrased?

I'm so pathetically obsessed that I looked at Frantz's signatures on both the waitlist letter and his reponse to my thank-you and found they were completely different - I'm not sure if it's worse to note that difference or get the automatically printed signature.

I never thought I would describe the "action" of waiting as a grueling process, and yet it has barely begun.

yeah, the waitlist and alternate list are one and the same. the full text of the letter (I have the same letter) can be found here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2351670#post2351670

Both my thank-you and waitlist letters were personally signed. No other handwritten notes :rolleyes:

Someone asked about finaid... in general, for any school that you are waitlisted with, you should add them to your FAFSA list.

The reason is that all schools will require the FAFSA for finaid, and can take 2 weeks for the government to send FAFSA data to the schools. If you get pulled off the waitlist, it's stupid to have to wait two weeks for your finaid package to be assembled, especially if you've already done a FAFSA for another school.

Some schools (not sure about Columbia) require that parental data be submitted with the FAFSA. The parental numbers do not affect the federal aid calculations, it's just a way to get the numbers into the school computers for institutional aid calculation.

Regarding how often to send Dean Frantz a letter; I sent two letters, one in March and one in April. Each was only one page. My first letter was a quick bullet list of reasons I liked Columbia and that Columbia should like me. My second letter discussed why I liked Columbia better than the other big school that had accepted me. Each letter had my phone # and SSN (you should use AMCAS ID) to make it easy to file.

Also, I sent a resume with each of my secondary applications. If you haven't done that already, send one with your follow up note. Again, one page only.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what the Columbia adcom thought of my letters and other antics. My brief letters reflected my personal style, and whatever you do should reflect yours.

The waitlist will probably not move much until May. Many students will hold onto all acceptances until the finaid numbers and revisit weekends are complete. Until then, you'll just get little notes from Dean Frantz thanking you for your updates.

Once again, best of luck.

eulogia228 said:
Even though I haven't even started this process yet and I won't be starting for a few more years, I already hate it with a passion. :)

eulogia...get a life for real...have some fun! Just work hard and don't think about all of this until you really have to...

Columbia waitlist C/O 2009 :(

Turtle48 said:
Has the waitlist moved at all? Also, has anyone received a response to their letter yet?

no, I don't think so....and no, not yet. Give it a couple more weeks (until ALL of the non-rolling schools are finished).

some friends and i officially cleared 3 spots for you today, and i hope that's an indication that the waitlist will move for you. best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Turtle48 said:
Has the waitlist moved at all? Also, has anyone received a response to their letter yet?

I got a response to the letter I sent in the mail today... a little handwritten note at the bottom from AGF saying that the waitlist wasn't going to take shape until later in the Spring, but that I'll be "kept in mind."

... always kept in mind!

Turtle48 said:
Got one too. No note :( Am I the only one?

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to read the mind of Dean Frantz. As we've learned (some of us the hard way), you can't read too much into these little notes. All that matters is the call saying you've been accepted.

Turtle48 said:
Sven-you're right. How do you find out that you are off the waitlist? Is it by phone or mail?

Check past threads, but I think that calls are pretty common. If you get invited for a second interview, though, some people have said that you can get an offer on the spot. Again, check the waitlist thread from last year.

My take on the whole notes from Dean Frantz thing:

Dean Frantz sitting at desk with nothing to do scans my letter quickly, turns to secretary - no need to call maintenance, we've got today's supply of toilet paper right here, he says - then scribbles some note about keeping me "very much in mind."

Later on reads your letter with great interest and is interruped by a phone call. You never get a reply.

Honestly, everybody, I wouldn't try to take too much out of this. Who knows what happens behind admissions office walls. The problem is that we've been trained to look for patterns and to try and analyze anything and everything. I really don't think that we'll be able to find out anything valuable until after May 15th.

I got a letter today and I;m supposed to call for a 2nd interview. Anyone else get one of these?

KatieOConnor said:
I got a letter today and I;m supposed to call for a 2nd interview. Anyone else get one of these?

Katie, thats awesome! That's definitely good news. Seeing as how I interviewed with Frantz the first time around I definitely won't be getting one of those :(

In answer to the questions, wrote a letter of intent, but I did not ask explicitely for a second interview. And I do live close by, in NJ. I am so excited! Even if I dont get in, I had some sketchy things in my record, my GPA is well below the average at P&S... and I applied to top schools as these "yeah, right..." reaches. To even be considered by a place like Columbia is amazing to me.

KatieOConnor said:
In answer to the questions, wrote a letter of intent, but I did not ask explicitely for a second interview. And I do live close by, in NJ. I am so excited! Even if I dont get in, I had some sketchy things in my record, my GPA is well below the average at P&S... and I applied to top schools as these "yeah, right..." reaches. To even be considered by a place like Columbia is amazing to me.

Did you write the LOI after being waitlisted?

Did anyone else get a letter saying that the WL isn't ranked, etc. in response to accepting a spot on the WL? (It seemed kind of like a generic letter and didn't have any handwritten notes.)

btw, good luck on your 2nd interview katie! let us know how it goes :thumbup:

Congrats on your second interview, katie! If previous years are any indication, that's a GREAT sign.

I just received my "you're officially on the alternate list" letter from Frantz. Had a handwritten note at the bottom saying that my letters are appreciated and that applicants won't be taken from the alternate list for "a while" but that I will be kept "very much in mind."

LIAR!

I fell for that once, and I AIN'T gonna fall for it again! Show me the money, Frantz. Show me the money. :p

ahh,at least you guys have received your letter. i still haven't even received my waitlist letter. i called them last friday, and they said i was waitlisted and that they would send another letter.

i can take a hint, columbia.

Hey All,

New to the SDN forums, and I must say it's been disheartening to hear that my little handwritten note is pretty standard fare. All this time I thought that Frantz had noticed my application and was genuinely trying to encourage me and maintain contact. Quite a little game he plays.

Surely he knows or has been told about the notorious Columbia waitlist threads, and I'm wondering if keeping that notoriety is one of the reasons he gets out of bed in the morning. My brother was waitlisted last year and was granted a second interview, and then was basically dicked around with until he started classes elsewhere. Not looking forward to that.

Is Frantz truly the evil genius he seems to be, or merely a kindly old man without the heart to say "no?" And if accepted off the waitlist, do Columbia students ever have any interaction with him again?

JAMESdoe3 said:
Hey All,

New to the SDN forums, and I must say it's been disheartening to hear that my little handwritten note is pretty standard fare. All this time I thought that Frantz had noticed my application and was genuinely trying to encourage me and maintain contact. Quite a little game he plays.

Surely he knows or has been told about the notorious Columbia waitlist threads, and I'm wondering if keeping that notoriety is one of the reasons he gets out of bed in the morning. My brother was waitlisted last year and was granted a second interview, and then was basically dicked around with until he started classes elsewhere. Not looking forward to that.

Is Frantz truly the evil genius he seems to be, or merely a kindly old man without the heart to say "no?" And if accepted off the waitlist, do Columbia students ever have any interaction with him again?

Frantz is not an evil genius. I'm sure that some personal satisfaction and pride comes from the fact that he is in charge of admissions at one of the most renowned medical institutions in the world, but... in spite of that, he's not the devil!

People seem disappointed that they aren't special because everyone is getting responses and nice letters back from Frantz. Since when did a little personalization = a bad thing? I know people are all very stressed about every little thing they hear back from medical schools, but I think it's nice that someone took the time to write back with a personal note... instead of taking your money and running (like some med schools, which shall remain nameless!) ;) What's more, I do believe that there are thousands of people that Dr. Frantz might see as good fits for Columbia, but the fact is that you can only have a class of 150. Maybe it's his way of letting people know how much he would like to see them at the school -- but there's only so much he can do. He's not trying to lead people on, IMO... he's trying to let them know that he thinks of them in high regard and he is doing what he can!

SarahGM said:
Frantz is not an evil genius. I'm sure that some personal satisfaction and pride comes from the fact that he is in charge of admissions at one of the most renowned medical institutions in the world, but... in spite of that, he's not the devil!

People seem disappointed that they aren't special because everyone is getting responses and nice letters back from Frantz. Since when did a little personalization = a bad thing? I know people are all very stressed about every little thing they hear back from medical schools, but I think it's nice that someone took the time to write back with a personal note... instead of taking your money and running (like some med schools, which shall remain nameless!) ;) What's more, I do believe that there are thousands of people that Dr. Frantz might see as good fits for Columbia, but the fact is that you can only have a class of 150. Maybe it's his way of letting people know how much he would like to see them at the school -- but there's only so much he can do. He's not trying to lead people on, IMO... he's trying to let them know that he thinks of them in high regard and he is doing what he can!

Agreed. Once you get over the fact that handwritten communications do not imply special consideration, you begin to marvel at how much time he invests in each applicant. I'm sure that he does keep us all "in mind," but unfortunately that can't translate into the desired result for everyone. At the end of the day, I'd rather have a personal note than a mass email or an electronic posting on some website.

sven said:
Agreed. Once you get over the fact that handwritten communications do not imply special consideration, you begin to marvel at how much time he invests in each applicant. I'm sure that he does keep us all "in mind," but unfortunately that can't translate into the desired result for everyone. At the end of the day, I'd rather have a personal note than a mass email or an electronic posting on some website.

This guy must have a ridiculously large brain, to be keeping us all in mind, don't you think?

So I mailed off my LOI last week, and we'll see where that goes...I'm wishing you all luck! :luck: :luck:

Acherona said:
This guy must have a ridiculously large brain, to be keeping us all in mind, don't you think?

Thank you, Acherona. I just spit my coffee all over my computer screen.

You're TOO FUNNY.

More, more!

Acherona said:

My " " aren't just there because I'm quoting his letters. Of course some are more in mind than others -- but that's anyone's guess.

Hmm well as for me, I just called the admin office for the 2nd time today and finally got to speak with Dr. Frantz. He simply told me that they overaccept by about a dozen students every year, and not to expect any action until mid May, and that he can't schedule a 2nd interview for me at this time (my first interview was with another doctor). I guess I'll just hang tight until May like everyone else and send periodic letters =/

I sent a letter to Dean Frantz last week, so Im still waiting to hear back about it.

There probably wont be much happening in the next few weeks. After March 30th, they will know which students have accepted spots on the "very highly ranked" alternate list. And spots will open up slowly throughout april with a flurry in may.

this thread is definately a bit more stagnant than the one from last year. I read through it right after getting on the waitlist this year.

but im here with you turtle48

Well.... I think its just that there's not much to say :rolleyes: as far as SDNers go, no one has heard anything besides Katie's interview offer. Believe you me, if I get in there will be the obligatory "OMFG WAHOO :D :D :D BLAAAAAR" posting, but I just don't think we're going to hear much until later in April when the first of the 2nd interviews start hearing back. I doubt Frantz will start pulling people before that point.

On a side note, remember this is P&S' first AMCAS year. Perhaps they're getting far fewer declines than they normally do (or maybe theyre getting them by the boatload! huzzah!). Basically, I don't think we're going to start hearing much for another 2-3 weeks besides maybe one or two sporadic acceptances.

To sum it up, I'm sitting here, fingers crossed, holding my breath, and silently praying :)

I received a note from Dean Frantz today letting me know that I am still on the very highly ranked alternate list and that i will be kept very much in mind.

I actually think its quite nice that he takes the time to write these notes. Most other admissions office folk don't put in the amount of effort that he does.

so, the wait continues.

Maybe some people will drop their spots at Columbia and go to seattle, now that Washington has surpassed P&S in the rankings. one can only hope.

rme04 said:
I received a note from Dean Frantz today letting me know that I am still on the very highly ranked alternate list and that i will be kept very much in mind.

I actually think its quite nice that he takes the time to write these notes. Most other admissions office folk don't put in the amount of effort that he does.

so, the wait continues.

Maybe some people will drop their spots at Columbia and go to seattle, now that Washington has surpassed P&S in the rankings. one can only hope.

thats great! was this note in response to you accepting the alternate list status? or was this an additional letter after that? thanks!

sunsweet said:
thats great! was this note in response to you accepting the alternate list status? or was this an additional letter after that? thanks!
good thread I guess.

sunsweet said:

hehe...sorry, i went on vacation...

the note was hand written at the bottom of letter confirming my alternate status.

Anyone have any news from the columbia waitlist? IE if people have been accepted off the waitlist?

the woman from amherst at mdapplicants.com states that she was accepted off the waitlist this year.

come on may 15....

citylght said:
the woman from amherst at mdapplicants.com states that she was accepted off the waitlist this year.

but what about me?! :scared:

Bump.

Anybody have any news? Has Dean Frantz asked anymore people for second interviews or accepted people off the waitlist? :confused:

Still haven't heard anything...the waiting continues... :scared:

Has anybody else been given a second interview? I wonder if many people have received a spot in the class yet...

bump.

This must be the quietest thread columbia waitlist thread ever. :( Has ANYBODY heard ANYTHING? Still no on my part.

Where's Turtle48? He stopped bumping up this thread.

Katie, have you heard anything after your second interview?

Has anbody at P&S heard anything?

my friend was called in for a second interview two weeks ago.
FYI

bubblebutt said:
bump.

This must be the quietest thread columbia waitlist thread ever. :( Has ANYBODY heard ANYTHING? Still no on my part.

Where's Turtle48? He stopped bumping up this thread.

Katie, have you heard anything after your second interview?

Has anbody at P&S heard anything?

if everyone needs a second interview to get accepted off hte wait list what is the point of the first interview? Just to get a spot on the wait list? seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm just bitter though since "they couldn't move favorably on my application." Good luck everyone.

dianamd said:
my friend was called in for a second interview two weeks ago.
FYI

I got a phone call from Dean Frantz today and was accepted (no 2nd interview)!! I had sent numerous letters, etc. so keep being persistent. Good luck to everyone!

margerita said:
I got a phone call from Dean Frantz today and was accepted (no 2nd interview)!! I had sent numerous letters, etc. so keep being persistent. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats margerita! Just curious-was your original interview with Dean Frantz or another faculty member?

ead said:
Congrats margerita! Just curious-was your original interview with Dean Frantz or another faculty member?

It was with another faculty member. So not quite sure about the whole 2nd interview business...