Combined BS/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chriseli

Mom. Wife. Neo-to-be.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are like 29 different ugrad/ms combined programs in the US. I currently attend Youngstown State University in conjunction with Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine. Is there anyone else, in this forum, apart of a combined program? If so what are you prereqs for matriculation and what schools do you go to? What class are you?:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to a few. I really like Brown's PLME (BA/MD) program because of the curriculum's flexibility. Since everyone has an individualized educational plan, there's much more time to pursue other academic/extracurricular interests! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by chriseli
What is a PLME?

I believe it's Program in Liberal Medical Education.

Northwestern U also has a BA/MD program that can be completed in 7 years. It's called Honors Program in medical Education or something along that line.

USC has a combined 8 yr BA or BS/MD program with the USC Keck Med School. NYU has an 8 yr ba/md program with NYU med school. St. Louis University has the same program. Rennsalear Polytech Institute in upstate NY has a 7 yr. program with Albany Medical College. UMKC has a 6-yr combined program. All of them are very competitive to get accepted into, and also very rigorous.

Good Luck.

omar06

I am a student in the neoucom program at the kent state campus, just thought i would say hi to you chriseli

Originally posted by chriseli
What is a PLME?

It's an eight year BA/MD program at Brown University in conjunction with Brown Medical School. Also, Northwestern HPME is another excellent program! :thumbup:

One of the best research-oriented programs w/ some excellent graduates is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's (RPI) Physician Scientist BS/MD 7-yr program. Grads from this program are all over including the prez of Harvard Med.'s Brigham and Women's Hospital. It's very, very competitivie to get into, but worth a try. Also, a good program is University of Rochester's 8-yr program.

What's up fellow Nuke (thats what we call each other over at Y-town if you didn't know). What year are you? PM me sometime and I'll give you my aim and we can chat.

I was part of UCR/UCLA's biomedical program. I got bum-raped so severely for the first years (my fault, I KNEW I didn't have good study habits.. and in hindsight the classes were not all that difficult). So now I'm in my 5th year repairing the sins of my past, but my cumulative is probably still too damn low I'm on an almost assured path to the Caribbeans.

Yeah, UCR starts with about 250-300 students and then weeds it down to 24 by the fourth year (year 1 medical school).

My advice if you wish to try it.. it's not hard, really.. just make sure BEFORE college you know how to study! It's really different from High School where you barely picked up the books and got 5's on your science APs.

Originally posted by TTSD
I was part of UCR/UCLA's biomedical program. I got bum-raped so severely for the first years (my fault, I KNEW I didn't have good study habits.. and in hindsight the classes were not all that difficult). So now I'm in my 5th year repairing the sins of my past, but my cumulative is probably still too damn low I'm on an almost assured path to the Caribbeans.

Yeah, UCR starts with about 250-300 students and then weeds it down to 24 by the fourth year (year 1 medical school).

My advice if you wish to try it.. it's not hard, really.. just make sure BEFORE college you know how to study! It's really different from High School where you barely picked up the books and got 5's on your science APs.
I was also in the UCR/UCLA program up to the 3rd year, interviewed, and ended up not making it. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. If you can manage your time and deal with some friendly competition, it is manageable. I would say it was this competition that allowed me to keep my gpa and mcat up. This in turn helped me when applying to other schools.

They changed the program so it's not accelerated anymore. I would advise high school students that may be interested to think about if they can handle competition because it can either help you or hurt you as it did in TTSD's case.

Originally posted by Slickness

They changed the program so it's not accelerated anymore. I would advise high school students that may be interested to think about if they can handle competition because it can either help you or hurt you as it did in TTSD's case.

Indeed, I dropped out after the second year.. doing quite well in the upper-divisions but it's hard to bring the GPA up (so easy to go down).

It really depends on how prepared you are coming in from high school. If you were a jackass like me and got through high school with little to no studying, you're going to be in serious trouble.

I'm in the 8 year BS/MD program at VCU. I think it was definitely a good decision...non-binding (most of my year is applying out), semester of study abroad unofficially built in, acceptances after 4 years at Ivies almost every year, urban location, lots of opportunities for different majors (my year has a international studies, a spanish, and a religious studies major, among others...I'm journalism)...it's definitely a good route if you can handle not going to a name school, necessarily, but are SURE that medicine is your thing.

Any questions? PM Me. I also applied to some other programs, so I have some experience.

btw, I'm third year, gearing up for Oxford next fall, and our prereqs...3.5 gpa in pre-med required courses minus english, two semesters of calc and calc based physics, 120 hours of service a year, and four out of the followin seven courses:

Comp. vert anatomy
biochem
histo
embryo
analytical chem
neurobio
animal phys