Combined DVM/MPH Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rural-jersey-girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on here is currently in DVM/MPH program or is trying to pursue one. Do you know how competitive the dual programs are? Is the course load manageable? I'm currently interning at the CDC doing qualitative public health research. My goal is to specialize as a food animal vet and get my DVM and MPH. Is this something that will help me stand out for vet school?
I'd love any opinions or advice! Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a number of schools offering combined DVM/MPH programs and the veterinary schools seem to look favorably upon students going into those programs. Many DVM/MPH graduates, however, find a hard time finding a public health job.... despite all the talk about the need for public health veterinarians, such positions are few and far between. (Two of my classmates graduated with public health degrees in addition to their DVM - one an MPH and one a PhD. Both now work in industry, in jobs completely unrelated to public health.)

Hey! I'm a DVM/PhD candidate, but can answer some questions about how DVM/MPH programs work, based on some friends I have in them. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] :)

All in all, the work load seems manageable, at least at the schools I am familiar with (CSU, Ohio State). They are fairly competitive to get in. A demonstrated interest and/or related experience will definitely help your application. For example, one of my friends worked in a mosquito/disease vector lab for a year before starting vet school, and then applied his first year into the DVM program. (This was at OSU). At CSU, the DVM/MPH spend their first year as MPH students, auditing two veterinary classes in the fall and two in the spring, while finishing their master's project. They then spend years 2-5 in the four-year PVM program. Again, the program is manageable and well-organized.

Other schools to contact could be Florida, UC Davis, Penn and Cornell, all of which I believe have DVM/MPH programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

@chickenlittle I'm still not sure if I specifically want to work as a public health veterinarian, but I would like to have the degree as a means of keeping my options open. I also feel that a MPH will help me be a better food animal vet when it comes to herd/population health and epidemiology.

@Njnealon I'm glad it seems manageable! I currently don't have any any public health experience directly related to veterinary public health, however I am working at the CDC in the division of STD prevention doing qualitative public health research. Do you think prestige associated with CDC would make me a favorable candidate even though my work isn't directly related? I'll be sure to get in touch with you!

By the way, I'm a rising junior, planing on applying next cycle. Right now my stats are:
Cumulative GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.5
Vet experience:
300+ equine repro with standardbred race horses
50+ research vet in a repro lab

All my other experience, honors, awards, extra curriculars are pretty standard. By the time I apply I'm hoping to get my cumulative GPA up to 3.82 and my science GPA up to 3.75. Also I'm trying to diversify and significantly add to my vet experience. Think I have any type of shot at a DVM/MPH program? P.S. I'm OOS everywhere (NJ resident)

Just to add to the list of schools, UTK also has a DVM/MPH program. Currently you apply for vet school first, and then you can apply for the MPH program during your first semester. That's actually all I know about it at the moment but the program coordinator is going to have more information for us in the fall.

Thanks!

@chickenlittle I'm still not sure if I specifically want to work as a public health veterinarian, but I would like to have the degree as a means of keeping my options open. I also feel that a MPH will help me be a better food animal vet when it comes to herd/population health and epidemiology.

@Njnealon I'm glad it seems manageable! I currently don't have any any public health experience directly related to veterinary public health, however I am working at the CDC in the division of STD prevention doing qualitative public health research. Do you think prestige associated with CDC would make me a favorable candidate even though my work isn't directly related? I'll be sure to get in touch with you!

By the way, I'm a rising junior, planing on applying next cycle. Right now my stats are:
Cumulative GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.5
Vet experience:
300+ equine repro with standardbred race horses
50+ research vet in a repro lab

All my other experience, honors, awards, extra curriculars are pretty standard. By the time I apply I'm hoping to get my cumulative GPA up to 3.82 and my science GPA up to 3.75. Also I'm trying to diversify and significantly add to my vet experience. Think I have any type of shot at a DVM/MPH program? P.S. I'm OOS everywhere (NJ resident)
I'm sure they will look favorably on your CDC experience! When I was applying for combined programs, all of my experience wasn't veterinary. (In my case, I had a ton of tutoring/student teaching experience), and I emphasized how it is important for veterinary researchers/clinicians to be able to communicate effectively. In your case, as long as you can draw a connection to veterinary med/explain what you learned from it and how it can help you, I'm sure it will be an awesome thing to put on your application. Same with your repro lab; are there any public health aspects that can be drawn out of your research?

Also, where in NJ are you from? I'm a NJ native too!! <3

Well I'm dying to do food animal medicine! With all my reproductive experience I have a really strong interest in therio (and by stron interest I mean it might be my one true love). And now since I've gotten a taste of public health, I'm interested in that too. I think I could be able to connect my CDC work to vet med. I'm addressing ethical issues with STDs, but I've learned a lot of other info and I've seen how STDs become highly concentrated in specific populations due to tight sexual networks (and other factor). It's similar to herd health and once a disease becomes common in a population it just keeps multiplying.
As for my lab work, I worked under a veterinarian to dissect testicles (from dog neuters) and isolate and culture spermatogenic cells. I can't think of anyway to relate that to public health.

I'm from a mid-sized town in Mercer County (think 25 minutes East of Trenton)! And you? And where do you go to school?