Smittyballz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Hello,
I am currently graduating from Bridgewater State College with a 3.8 gpa, but I was wondering if when applying to post bac or medical school in general when they ask for all of your transcripts if they will take all of the classes that I took and then recalculate my gpa. When I transfer in my classes for undergrad they dont count into my gpa. So my question is will they count when i am applying to med school cause I did really bad at the first school I attended. I was also wondering if because I attended a state school that it will refect my chances of getting into med school. I am applying now to a post bac program because i dont have any of the science classes that i need Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Your undergraduate GPA for the AMCAS (the allopathic medical school application) will contain all coursework you have completed since high school, broken down by years. So you will have a Freshman GPA, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, and Post-Baccalaureate. Plus a cumulative.

All GPAs are broken into BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math), All Other, and Overall.

State schools are just fine for med school preparation. It's best to take your required courses at a four-year school, though.

OP
S

Smittyballz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
liverotcod said:
Your undergraduate GPA for the AMCAS (the allopathic medical school application) will contain all coursework you have completed since high school, broken down by years. So you will have a Freshman GPA, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, and Post-Baccalaureate. Plus a cumulative.

All GPAs are broken into BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math), All Other, and Overall.

State schools are just fine for med school preparation. It's best to take your required courses at a four-year school, though.
So what about transferred credits taken at 2 year school during the summer what year do they count for, and also am I at a huge disadvantage if i failed classes in my freshman and sophmore years. I have almost all a's now so I am doing better, but I am worried that no matter how good I do on the post bacc they might take one look at my 1.7 gpa throughout my first 2 years of school and say no way. Since I transferred they only took my grades and didnt count them in my new gpa. So am I screwed???

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
Smittyballz said:
So what about transferred credits taken at 2 year school during the summer what year do they count for, and also am I at a huge disadvantage if i failed classes in my freshman and sophmore years. I have almost all a's now so I am doing better, but I am worried that no matter how good I do on the post bacc they might take one look at my 1.7 gpa throughout my first 2 years of school and say no way. Since I transferred they only took my grades and didnt count them in my new gpa. So am I screwed???
The other grades (from your first 2 years) still factor into your GPA, regardless of the fact you took those at another institution.

OP
S

Smittyballz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Sundarban1 said:
The other grades (from your first 2 years) still factor into your GPA, regardless of the fact you took those at another institution.
Well then am I doomed, because I did out my gpa including every class I have taken and I have a 2.8 overall with no real science classes because I am taking all of the requirements at a post bacc program either bu or tufts Any suggestions Ideas?????

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
Smittyballz said:
Well then am I doomed, because I did out my gpa including every class I have taken and I have a 2.8 overall with no real science classes because I am taking all of the requirements at a post bacc program either bu or tufts Any suggestions Ideas?????
Do well in your post-bacc science classes. The good news is that if you have not taken science classes and you do well, you can have a solid science GPA. However, if you have never taken basic sciences before, it might be tough to get all A's. The other question you have to ask yourself is how many credits can you take, and realistically, how much can those classes pull up your GPA. If you've taken a ton of credits, its harder to pull up your GPA, regardless of how many classes you take. On the other hand, if you show an upward trend in grades as you have, that takes some of the weight off your not so good grades. Good luck.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Remember also to consider ostepathic programs and Caribbean schools, both of which can lead to excellent careers as a physician.

Hets

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
Status
about how they calculate your gpa: if you have a low gpa as an undergrad, and good post bac grades, are they going to look at these separately or cumulatively?? for example, does your undergrad gpa get factored in with any post bac work you do? are they considered 2 gpa's or one bulked overall gpa from all the work you've done until med school?

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
Hets said:
about how they calculate your gpa: if you have a low gpa as an undergrad, and good post bac grades, are they going to look at these separately or cumulatively?? for example, does your undergrad gpa get factored in with any post bac work you do? are they considered 2 gpa's or one bulked overall gpa from all the work you've done until med school?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your undergrad and post-bacc GPA are combined when calculating your overall and science GPA. However, on your AAMCAS application, your grades are shown seperate, by year and institution (i.e. undergrad, post bacc, graduate, etc.)