"Come aparts"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

militarymd

SDN Angel
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have one of these at work....where you get so frustrated that you loose it...and "Come apart".

I did it twice in the 3 1/2 years...

First time left the print of my fist on one of the walls in the OR suite, a couple of OR circulators crying, and an urologist that disappeared for a month.

The second time, it was almost a fist fight with one of the CRNAs...he was bigger than me, but I'm younger and in much better shape....but the folks got us separated

Members don't see this ad.

"come aparts" shouldn't happen to anesthesiologists - we always keep our cool --- maybe it is time for some anger management or conflict resolution classes?

however i have run quite a few "come apart" scenarios in my head on a regular basis while doing anesthesia...

now that I am doing pain I have a lot more of "shoot me now" scenarios when i get the druggies in front of me trying to convince me that only one thing works - oxycontin

"come aparts" shouldn't happen to anesthesiologist - we always keep our cool --- maybe it is time for some anger management or conflict resolution classes?

I'm the chief...I don't have to go to those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone ever have one of these at work....where you get so frustrated that you loose it...and "Come apart".

First time left the print of my fist on one of the walls in the OR suite, a couple of OR circulators crying, and an urologist that disappeared for a month.

The second time, it was almost a fist fight with one of the CRNAs...he was bigger than me, but I'm younger and in much better shape....but the folks got us separated

I've had a few times where I could feel a massive sympathetic surge summoned by anger at the complete disregard for social capabilities of others at work.. i.e. rude. Especially passive agressive rudeness. I think the only thing the offending party picked up on was the size of my pupils and my trembling right hand (commo Saving Private Ryan's Tom Hanks).

I bite my lip and let it slide. Sucks. But I do it. I do sometimes wonder if a good old fashioned meet up in the parking lot would resolve anything. I'll bring 6'2'' 190lb of pain..and a stick of sux if they get the upper hand.

What can be so bad that makes you want to start throwing punches?

What gets me by is knowing that people always do the best they can do -- under the circumstances. Sometimes all they're capable of is $hitty work that slows you down, fukks up patients, and puts you at risk of being sued. But it's still the best they can do. I try to avoid those people. I also try not to visibly blow up in front of anyone. Coming from a resident, it wouldn't have any impact anyway. Serenity now...

Closest I came to what you describe, Mil, was at previous great gig with.....uhhhhh....one of my partners.

I'm sure Trin knows which one of my previous partners I'm referring to.

Great guy...we're friends to this day...but very reactional.

I was on the night shift...nothing much going on....partner shows up and is pissed at me about some issue that I cant recall....

we go into the office, conversation starts....he gets heated....I mean REALLY heated....to the point of standing up, walking over to where I'm sitting...I stand up...he puts his face about 2 inches from mine and is YELLING.....angry...I can feel spit droplets hitting my face.

I'm not an angry guy. I'm a happy guy.

But dude, if I get angry, and I'm being provoked, dudes gonna get hurt.

Plain and simple.

So now I can feel rage building up inside. Not healthy, protectant rage, but unhealthy, destructive rage.

Keep in mind this is in the OR, albeit in an office.

Partner takes his finger and while yelling at me starts pounding his finger for emphasis....on my chest.

Sirens are going off in my head.

I grab his hand Matt Hughes like that he's putting on me, look him straight in the eye:

"Back off, Dude. Back off or you're gonna get hurt."

Dude musta seen what was about to happen, cuz at that point in my bodybuilding life I was pretty....uhhhhh.....amped up.

And I was ready to rip his head off and s h it down his neck.

He finally realized that.

And rescinded.

Walked outta the OR.

Unlike girls that hold grudges for decades, I remember us resolving the issue the next day.

So thats one of two "coming apart" episodes in my 43 years.

The other happened back in residency..... involved a taxi cab driver that bumped into a buddy of mine in a crosswalk who was carrying food (Wendy's) back to the accident room at Charity....general surgery resident named Gavin Gassen.

After he got bumped, Gavin dropped the food, slammed his hand a cuppla times on the hood of the taxi, and started yelling at the driver.

Taxi cab driver got outta his cab and was about to clobber my buddy as they exchanged words.

I witnessed this while driving by in my car.....had just left the Tulane parking lot a few minutes prior....cant remember the name of that street that goes between Tulane Ave and Poydras and goes right by the accident room on the right....

Pulled over, got out, started running full speed towards the about-to-happen fight.....taxi cab driver is rearing back about to hit my buddy.

....got about 5 yards away from taxi driver at full tilt, leaped, and Goldberg'ed the muthaf u kka.

Right in the crosswalk. :laugh:

Ruined a great pair of jeans.

Picked myself up, stood over unconscious taxi cab driver and said

"Don't mess with my buddy, Dude."

Crowd gathering.

Left before la policia arrived.

Gavin is thankful to this day.....thirteen years later.

So theres my two come aparts.

Most of the time I'm very diplomatic.

Dude, I don't wanna catch your f'n bulk in a crosswalk, or anywhere for that matter, EVER.

Speaking of vacations, going to Marco Island Feb 29th for "conference." Started my diet 6 days ago. Kashi go lean crunch with soy milk. Thats dinner. Every night except saturday and sunday. That'll be my time. Sorry for the brief hi-jack...sort of.

Have never "come apart", but I sometimes get pissed and start saying **** that I later regret. I think this comes from two specific things inherent (at least as a resident) in what we do: 1) no one else in the room - from the surgeons to the scrub techs to the circulators to the appliance reps pushing a particular IM nail - truly understands and/or respects our job 2) we are under a tremendous time pressure to get a lot of critical stuff done in as short of time as possible.

This can make for an extremely high-stress environment (when turning cases, trying to get started on time, etc.) and nerves can get easily frayed when things don't go smoothly, which happens occassionally. Sometimes someone will say the most stupid-*** thing at the most inopportune time and, to me, it's just like someone putting their big clumsy finger on the nuclear button.

And, talk about chicks holding grudges. There's one circulator who used to regularly laugh and make small talk and say "hi" and be quite friendly to me (for no particular reason... never did anything pre-emptively to be friendly towards her, and never really reciprocated her pseudo, phony bubbliness). Well, I apparently pissed her off months ago with a snide comment and she still isn't talking to me. :laugh: Psycho.

-copro

And, talk about chicks holding grudges. There's one circulator who used to regularly laugh and make small talk and say "hi" and be quite friendly to me (for no particular reason... never did anything pre-emptively to be friendly towards her, and never really reciprocated her pseudo, phony bubbliness). Well, I apparently pissed her off months ago with a snide comment and she still isn't talking to me. :laugh: Psycho.

-copro

You heartbreaker:love:! You sound quite sexy though, so I am not surprised :D

You heartbreaker:love:! You sound quite sexy though, so I am not surprised :D

Uhhhh, Cop, dudette wants a hookup.

"BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY'S YOUR HOOKUP."

"HOLLA IF YA HEAR ME!!!":laugh:

justa little nostalgic Big Poppa Pump stuff for you non-wrestling afficiandos out there.....somebody please post a You Tube link here of him saying that.....!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a lifeguard as a teenager, one of the health club clients was really jumping in my $hit for no good reason. The manager heard it & took care of it, but gave me a nugget of wisdom I've used many times since. All he said was, "water off a duck's back, man, water off a duck's back."

I walk off from idiots if at all possible - one thing I've learned from about 20 years of various martial arts: there are some bad a$$ mothers out there, who you would never guess have the ability to set your teeth on fire & pi$$ on them to put them out - and make you say "thank you sir, may I have another?"

there are some bad a$$ mothers out there, who you would never guess have the ability to set your teeth on fire & pi$$ on them to put them out - and make you say "thank you sir, may I have another?"

Dude, you bring up a very good point.

I put an epidural in a lady the other day.....her husband was there......name Humberto.....has been in New Orleans for 18 years...originally from Nicarauga.....he talked without an accent but received a phone call during the epidural and turned his latin accent back on while speaking in spanish....obviously a very intelligent dude.

And very respectful. Smiling.

"Nice to meetcha, Doc. Thanks for coming."

He was about 5'10", 240.....forearms like Popeye....gave his wife affectionate reassurances throughout the epidural....

So I'm talkin' to the dude while I'm puttin' in his wife's epidural....he had a very gentle, caring tone.....turns out he's a professional MMA fighter...:eek:

Had a powerlifting background, had squatted...in competition....900 pounds.....benched 680..... :eek:

And now this fire hydrant looking dude pounds dudes faces to put food on the table.

Never wouldda known it talking to this gentle assassin.

SO VERY GOOD POINT, SALT. VERY GOOD.

using my treo, so forgive the poor grammar, et al... busy inducing an emergency full stomach fatty and likely difficult airway... circulator decides to turn around, release cricoid, and start up a conversation with the surgeon who traipses through the door.... needless to say, I made it my mission in life to get her (and successfully at that) fired once I kicked her out of the room...

O great! So now I have a fat ***, huh?:mad: weak!

Closest I came to what you describe, Mil, was at previous great gig with.....uhhhhh....one of my partners.

I'm sure Trin knows which one of my previous partners I'm referring to.

Great guy...we're friends to this day...but very reactional..

Why yes, that would be the same one called onto the carpet, to explain his rantings to the hospital CEO when he and a circulator got into a knock-down screaming match at 0730 in front of the control desk.

...cant remember the name of that street that goes between Tulane Ave and Poydras and goes right by the accident room on the right....

Gravier Street is the final approach to pre-Katrina Charity's accident room ramp. Base leg would be LaSalle Street. Downwind is either Tulane Avenue or Poydras.

Had a powerlifting background, had squatted...in competition....900 pounds.....benched 680..... :eek:

And now this fire hydrant looking dude pounds dudes faces to put food on the table.

One guy I think of in particular came to our judo club, and just sat on the edge of the mat to watch for a whole practice. Small Japanese guy (he later fought less than 110 pounds), kinda nerdy looking, but sat perfectly still for 90 minutes. Very respectful and polite.

Next time he worked out with us, wearing a white belt. Yet when you went against him, you hit the mat whenever he wanted you to, and then he could pin you & keep you there as long as he wanted, without really trying. He wore a white belt, because he had earned no rank in our dojo.

Turns out he'd done judo for over 10 years in Japan (and he was about 22), and we never took him to a tournament where he lost a single match. He was the epitome of soft-style martial arts - the harder people tried to fight him, the harder they hit the mat, or the quicker they tapped out from the arm bar.

Amazing.

Why yes, that would be the same one called onto the carpet, to explain his rantings to the hospital CEO when he and a circulator got into a knock-down screaming match at 0730 in front of the control desk.

Gravier Street is the final approach to pre-Katrina Charity's accident room ramp. Base leg would be LaSalle Street. Downwind is either Tulane Avenue or Poydras.

LaSalle!!!!

Thanks, bro.

Yeah, and she just changed her avatar so she fits into your psycho grouping.

Man, I was talking about that circulator. I have no idea what climbingdocs looks like, or even if s/he's maybe really a ladyboy.

-copro

I am NOT a dude, last time I checked :thumbup:
Copro, I knew you weren't talking about me :love:, someone else was.... +pissed+ but lets just go back to the original thread ---->

I've had one in 11 yrs in the OR. Not bad when you consider my temper. It happened last year. Plastic Surgeon (thinks he is god) calls me to do a case at 10pm.
Me: I am not on call so I say call the on-call dude.
PS:call dude is coming in to place a labor epidural and this case needs to go now.
Me:OK, I say tell me whats up.
PS:Girl fell back on her snowboard lacerating her flank. Shes in the Er and needs to be sewn up.
Me: when did this happen, knowing the slopes have been closed for 6 hours.
PS:Don't know but it needs to be done now. She is being resuscitated in the ER.
Me:how much fluids has she received, any blood products, what's her vitals.
PS: she's received 1 L of LR and we need to go.
Me: That's not much for 6 hrs. I'm on my way but this doesn't add up.
PS: Just get in here. You are all a bunch of lazy MF's.
Me::eek: Wait one minute. I said I'm on my way and now she had better be in severe distress or you and me or going to have a real talk. I then hang up.

When I get there my partner has been called off the epidural by this PS (plastic surgeon or piece of ****) and has already induced this young healthy totally stable girl. I go to do the epidural and the pt is pushing so she missed her epidural. I go back to the OR where the PS is scrubbing and lay into him. He is about 10-15 yrs older than me and really really thinks he can't be hurt. He owns a 24 hr stay hospital down the road. I am livid. I tel him exactly what is up and what everyone thinks of him. I insult him, his practice, his personality and stop just short of his family. He starts to bow up to me. Wrong move, dude. I'm 6'0" 185# lean muscle with a combative history. I won't go into that one.:oops: I'll just say it was real. The OR team calls security and my partner grabs me. Now he didn't need to grab me cause the PS hadn't taken a swing, unfortunately. I wasn't going to hit him unless he got aggressive. I left the OR so they could finish their emergency case and my partner convinced he would handle it.

So thats it. This guy uses us very sparingly and he hasn't spoken to me since. He walks the other way when he sees me coming and the only words I have spoken to him is "Your case is cancelled". We have removed all phone numbers except for the on-call anesthesiologists number from the call schedule and the whole OR barely speaks to him when he comes. Everyone has let him know what an *** he is but he is too much of an *** to apologize to anyone. Administration has told me to forget about it, he will always be that way and luckily he doesn't come over very often.

I probably could have handled it better but I'd do it again if it came up today. I felt better after it was off my chest. My group now calls me the BOUNCER.

I've had one in 11 yrs in the OR. Not bad when you consider my temper. It happened last year. Plastic Surgeon (thinks he is god) calls me to do a case at 10pm.
PS:call dude is coming in to place a labor epidural and this case needs to go now.
PS:Girl fell back on her snowboard lacerating her flank. Shes in the Er and needs to be sewn up.
Me::eek: Wait one minute. I said I'm on my way and now she had better be in severe distress or you and me or going to have a real talk. I then hang up.

When I get there my partner has been called off the epidural by this PS (plastic surgeon or piece of ****) and has already induced this young healthy totally stable girl. I go to do the epidural and the pt is pushing so she missed her epidural. I go back to the OR where the PS is scrubbing and lay into him. He is about 10-15 yrs older than me and really really thinks he can't be hurt. He owns a 24 hr stay hospital down the road. I am livid. I tel him exactly what is up and what everyone thinks of him. I insult him, his practice, his personality and stop just short of his family. He starts to bow up to me. Wrong move, dude. I'm 6'0" 185# lean muscle with a combative history. I won't go into that one.:oops: I'll just say it was real. The OR team calls security and my partner grabs me. Now he didn't need to grab me cause the PS hadn't taken a swing, unfortunately. I wasn't going to hit him unless he got aggressive. I left the OR so they could finish their emergency case and my partner convinced he would handle it.

So thats it. This guy uses us very sparingly and he hasn't spoken to me since. He walks the other way when he sees me coming and the only words I have spoken to him is "Your case is cancelled". We have removed all phone numbers except for the on-call anesthesiologists number from the call schedule and the whole OR barely speaks to him when he comes. Everyone has let him know what an *** he is but he is too much of an *** to apologize to anyone. Administration has told me to forget about it, he will always be that way and luckily he doesn't come over very often.

I probably could have handled it better but I'd do it again if it came up today. I felt better after it was off my chest. My group now calls me the BOUNCER.

WOW!!!!

I'll remember not to piss you off, Noy....unless I've got a football helmet on. :laugh:

Anyone ever have one of these at work....where you get so frustrated that you loose it...and "Come apart".....

I had one as a PGY-1. Very rude ER nurse. For the most part I limited my interaction with her as much as possible. When medicine accepts a patient in the ER and is just waiting for a bed on the floor, they run the show. This patient went from being tele/stepdown material to being ICU material, needing emergent (not urgent) intubation. She did not notify me on several key problems that occurred at sequentially overnight, and instead called the ICU team when the patient started to crash. I was livid that she had put my patient's life in danger to the point that I did what I have never done since -- I wrote up a complaint and submitted it to administration. 1 month later she was gone. I don't know if she resigned or got fired. Maybe my letter played no role. But I was glad she was gone considering I was ready to strangle her that night. Trust me, nobody missed her.

Noy, you have admin backing you.....I would just refuse ALL of his cases...For someone like that, I would pay out of pocket to cover any losses to the hospital JUST to PISS him off.

So I was runnin' a locums gig for several weeks in a small Southern town many moons ago where everybody and their momma invites ya to attend their church--Baptists under every rock if ya like. One evening get a call from the OB nurses station for stat C-section--for FHR of "ZERO"-- exact words. I rush on in expecting the worse. Arrive in 10 minutes and mother is reading the phuckin' paper(FHRs were normal and always were). Ask the nurse what's goin' on and she tells me the OB doc told her to tell me that so that I wouldn't lollygag around and show up an hour later. We do the c-section in an unhurried manner and he joked about the "FHR of Zero" --"sure got your a$$ here quick, didn't it Zip?" I acted like it didn't phase me at all. Little did this priick know that he phucked with the wrong person. So I got 3 addresses with phone #s: His office, his home and the hospital itself. This was before the internet and the PC took off. I then got him hooked up to a shiit load of gay and straight porn mailing lists that literally breaks the back of the mailman delivering it to the 3 addresses. Dude received boxes and boxes of all kinds of porn for months on end--magazines, flyers, promos, catalogs,etc. Got porn advertisers callin' all 3 #s too. It becomes the talk of the hospital for many months after my gig is up. Revenge was sweeet! ----Regards, ----Zip

First to Noyac,

I think the way you handled that was great, I have a temper myself and try not to get in any altercations like that, afraid of what would happen, lose my job that sort of thing. So I tend to try hard to get along with folks.

Next to zippy,

You are a bad dude, I always respect your posts but that is the best ever.:smuggrin:

So I was runnin' a locums gig for several weeks in a small Southern town many moons ago where everybody and their momma invites ya to attend their church--Baptists under every rock if ya like. One evening get a call from the OB nurses station for stat C-section--for FHR of "ZERO"-- exact words. I rush on in expecting the worse. Arrive in 10 minutes and mother is reading the phuckin' paper(FHRs were normal and always were). Ask the nurse what's goin' on and she tells me the OB doc told her to tell me that so that I wouldn't lollygag around and show up an hour later. We do the c-section in an unhurried manner and he joked about the "FHR of Zero" --"sure got your a$$ here quick, didn't it Zip?" I acted like it didn't phase me at all. Little did this priick know that he phucked with the wrong person. So I got 3 addresses with phone #s: His office, his home and the hospital itself. This was before the internet and the PC took off. I then got him hooked up to a shiit load of gay and straight porn mailing lists that literally breaks the back of the mailman delivering it to the 3 addresses. Dude received boxes and boxes of all kinds of porn for months on end--magazines, flyers, promos, catalogs,etc. Got porn advertisers callin' all 3 #s too. It becomes the talk of the hospital for many months after my gig is up. Revenge was sweeet! ----Regards, ----Zip

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Dude, now THAT's what I call revenge!

I can just see stacks of gay porn showing up when he's at work. His wife being the only one there to receive the mail........ LOL
The next stack of papers were probably divorce filings.......

You may be my new hero. I have a few people that could use the old zippy dildo literature onslaught.

I semi came apart one time during residency...

In PACU,got called to the floor for intubation. Turns out it is a 24 y.o. girl with lupus who has a nasty pneumonia. She is in distress but is holding her own. I tell the nurses and the medicine resident that I dont have any narcs or benzo's and that you should be prepared to give her a sedative after I intubate. Induce with propofol, tube her and off to write up my note. I go to the nurses station,hunt for that chart and scribble out my note. As I get up I hear alot of commotion coming from the room where I left. Quickly go over, and damn it if the girl is not thrashing about like a fish out of water, eyes about to pop out of her head. I giver her a hit of the last bit of propofol I had.

Head to the nurses station and "come apart" on the medicine resident, charge nurse and the whole floor in general. Nothing physical, but a lot of shouting and a few expletives for good measure.

Needless to say I got written up(which I feel is a great sign that you are a caring physician) and had a little talk with my chairman and the head of nursing. At the end of the day, I would do it again in a heart beat.

I semi came apart one time during residency...

In PACU,got called to the floor for intubation. Turns out it is a 24 y.o. girl with lupus who has a nasty pneumonia. She is in distress but is holding her own. I tell the nurses and the medicine resident that I dont have any narcs or benzo's and that you should be prepared to give her a sedative after I intubate. Induce with propofol, tube her and off to write up my note. I go to the nurses station,hunt for that chart and scribble out my note. As I get up I hear alot of commotion coming from the room where I left. Quickly go over, and damn it if the girl is not thrashing about like a fish out of water, eyes about to pop out of her head. I giver her a hit of the last bit of propofol I had.

Head to the nurses station and "come apart" on the medicine resident, charge nurse and the whole floor in general. Nothing physical, but a lot of shouting and a few expletives for good measure.

Needless to say I got written up(which I feel is a great sign that you are a caring physician) and had a little talk with my chairman and the head of nursing. At the end of the day, I would do it again in a heart beat.

Nurses were probably busy charting and checking boxes on papers instead of helping the patient. Medicine resident was probably looking at his PALM for abx to hang. RT was looking for tape.

Common problem.

You're intentions were dead on. Too bad assisting staff can get all caught up in every other friggen thing except meeting the patients immediate needs.

damn.. you guys are some unstable mothers.

Im a black belt in shotokan karate, If i ever came apart I am afraid it would not be pretty for the person on the receiving end. I learned many zen techniques which makes me tolerate being around the asses that i deal with on a daily basis. When something pisses me off, i blow it off. I dont shift in my seat, i dont shake my head I dont do anything that has any inkling that i am bothered. Its not worth it to me. whatever happens i make it look like I knew exactly that was going to happen I dont do cases i dont wanna do, i dont work with surgeons who i dont wanna work with.

Going apeshyt on someone serves no purpose whatsoever. Just makes you look like a dyck and they will make you take a urine drug screen looking for opiates. BUt i totally understand noyacs reaction to that surgeon. I just wouldnt put myself in that position and thats why im in southern california doing my own thing. Nobody really can make me do anything that i dont wanna do.

Noy, you have admin backing you.....I would just refuse ALL of his cases...For someone like that, I would pay out of pocket to cover any losses to the hospital JUST to PISS him off.

Yeah, I have discussed it but not the paying out of my pocket part. Admin is really reluctant to chase away any cases even though they are his "no-pays".

He gets the locums when he comes to visit.

damn.. you guys are some unstable mothers.

Going apeshyt on someone serves no purpose whatsoever. Just makes you look like a dyck and they will make you take a urine drug screen looking for opiates. BUt i totally understand noyacs reaction to that surgeon. I just wouldnt put myself in that position and thats why im in southern california doing my own thing. Nobody really can make me do anything that i dont wanna do.

I can agree with this somewhat and for most of use being unstable, well your probably right there as well.

But I come from a previous career were I had to learn to handle many different psyche's. I dealt with some of the most egotistical people on the face of this earth. I'm talking about baseball pitchers. You see I was a catcher and it was my job to keep the pitchers from losing their kool and getting into trouble. They are egotistical creatures b/c of the very nature of what they did, alone on that hill with the outcome of the game in lockstep with their performance. They're starting pitchers, they need to be heroes.
Does this sound any different than the surgeons we work with? Not to me. I learned that every pitcher had to be dealt with differently. Some of them I needed to encourage, others I needed to babied, others needed to be pushed, and some even needed to be threatened. They all responded differently. The trick was figuring out what worked for which one. I got pretty darn good at it and was probably on my way to becoming a lifelong professional coach after my playing career ended. Would not have been a bad gig but I decided to give medicine a try real quick b/4 committing myself to a life of buses, airplanes, locker rooms and cleat chasers;). I have found this craft to be very similar to being a catcher dealing with pitchers. I just figure out what it is that the surgeon will respond to and we're off.

Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong but I still have the athletically strong personality and physic to back me up. I haven't had to throw down with a surgeon like I have on many occasions with pitchers. Most surgeons are smarter than pitchers and were geeks in college. They probably have never been in a brawl and would do anything to keep it that way.

I just wouldnt put myself in that position and thats why im in southern california doing my own thing. Nobody really can make me do anything that i dont wanna do.

Aghast1, is that you?

:idea::sleep::love::laugh::hardy::p:):D+pad+:spam:

-copro