Comfortable shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard about merrell's and dansko's. Are there others? Which ones are good for someone with narrow feet and a high arch?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll just have to try them on to see how they fit you. Other brands to try Birkenstocks, Eastlands, or Borns

Danskos come in narrows and they provide a lot of arch support IMO... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
strawberryfield said:
Danskos come in narrows and they provide a lot of arch support IMO... ;)
wow didn't know about the narrow style. i have narrow feet with a high arch. i just bought a pair of dansko's today, but the guy said they didn't come in narrow. i will try online. thanks!

Danskos z-coil Crocs Nike Shox are the ones that the nurses rave about.

Also, orthotics or good insoles are good are good.

Birkenstocks all the way... cant be beat for arch supports. They are also very nice looking and would be appropriate for dress codes etc.

San Antonio Shoes company. So comfortable that in some parts of Asia they are given the nickname "filial piety shoes." The idea is that you will demonstrate your deep respect for elderly parents by giving them such comfortable shoes to wear at great cost.

Shodddy18 said:
They are also very nice looking and would be appropriate for dress codes etc.

Dress codes? Is that when a woman in a dress codes? Or is it merely when the person running the code is dressed for success?

Mman said:
Dress codes? Is that when a woman in a dress codes? Or is it merely when the person running the code is dressed for success?

I hope you're not making fun of the previous post......

I hope that your "dress codes" statement was just a bad joke and you're not really, really, really stupid.

Either way.....

SLUser11 said:
I hope you're not making fun of the previous post......

I hope that your "dress codes" statement was just a bad joke and you're not really, really, really stupid.

Either way.....

After having spent 10 of the last 12 months taking call as an intern, I find it funny that people worry about fashion in the hospital. It also means my burned out noggin has an interesting sense of humor. I hope I'm not really, really, really, stupid or I might lose patience with my patients.

I have Clarks and Danskos, both of which are very comfortable. Danskos take a while to break in, though, because of the high arch.

Mman said:
After having spent 10 of the last 12 months taking call as an intern, I find it funny that people worry about fashion in the hospital. It also means my burned out noggin has an interesting sense of humor. I hope I'm not really, really, really, stupid or I might lose patience with my patients.

Amen to that.

Mman said:

I dont think it has much to do w/ fashion... at least not for me. It has to do w/ what people tell me I can and cant wear. I would love to show up every day in a t-shirt and comfy pants, but I'm thinking someone at least partly responsible for grading me may take offense. Besides, Biks are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn... much more comfy than any sneaker!

Members don't see this ad :)
will someone please go to this link and specify which dansko's shoes the guys wear because there are a lot of different styles. Are they ALL comfortable shoes or are there specific styles which people wear?

www.dansko.com

for the fellas: go pick up a pair of Rockports...comfy and classy and not thaaaaaaaat expensive

Clark's Nat's, as they are known, are really, really comfortable. They've been around forever I'm told. I was buying my second pair in a row and the experienced guy at the store told me that it was a good choice, as a lot of waiters/waitresses swear by them.

GuP said:
Mephistos - they way to go!

if you're already making a physician's salary I would agree but for a measley student, i think ~350 for a pair of kicks is a bit excessive

Those Mephistos are ugly as hell. They look like construction shoes turned dressy.

I'd go with the Danskos anyday. At least it doesn't look like you're trying. Know what I mean...

nykka3 said:
wow didn't know about the narrow style. i have narrow feet with a high arch. i just bought a pair of dansko's today, but the guy said they didn't come in narrow. i will try online. thanks!

yeah, they may be hard to get in stores, but dasko's website has these and zappos.com might have the narrows as well :luck:

So I bought a pair of Danskos, the Professional, and....they are killing me! Is this normal? I do not have wide feet but they are rubbing the sides of my feet. I know that the size is correct or at least I can't imagine going any bigger. Will they break in or should I ditch them and try something else? I start surgery on Monday so I need something comfortable ASAP. Thanks!

JBlue said:
So I bought a pair of Danskos, the Professional, and....they are killing me! Is this normal? I do not have wide feet but they are rubbing the sides of my feet. I know that the size is correct or at least I can't imagine going any bigger. Will they break in or should I ditch them and try something else? I start surgery on Monday so I need something comfortable ASAP. Thanks!

I own a pair of Danskos.... they take getting used to, they fit weird compared to other shoes (it is *weird* when your heel is "supposed" to lift out from the back of the shoe as if it were a slipper) and they're hard. I think they're comfortable, but still far from being the holy grail of shoes.

Need something comfy ASAP? Grab your regular sneakers (that's right -- your running shoes or whatever) and put 'em on. Nobody will care and everyone eventually caves in to wearing sneakers in the hospital at one point or another in their lives. Trust me, the surgery people (residents, attendings, intern) will NOT care what shoes you wear. Before entering the OR, you can grab some disposable shoe covers to slip over your sneakers and they should be fine.

Some people swear by Danskos for the hospital, but in terms of practicality and function they aren't really better than sneakers (except for being able to wear them unobtrusively under, say, a shirt, tie and dress trousers). If you find nothing better than sneakers, wear sneakers. Nobody will complain about your sneakers.

I like these sweet birkie's:

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/P...Footprints/style.Pavia/id.290620062202-577710

I mean, a girl wants to look ok as well as have comfortable feet. I wish we could wear our regular birkie sandals but no. I just can't stand those dansko things on men or women, and I know I can't be wearing regular office shoes all day every day. This footwear thing will take high priority after my first rotation through surgery - when I plan to wear my broken-in merrells. :)

I wear cowboy boots with either a rubber or cork outsole. They are the only things I have found that are comfortable and provide enough support to wear all day in the OR or rounding all day. I've got a couple of pairs that I normally wear, and they're broken in well. Clogs and the like just don't work for me.

Here's a pair that I wear regularly and really like.

Rocky boots

Awesome. Can't say I've seen anybody wear cowboy boots with scrubs yet. hehe :D I'd be worried about me feet not getting enough ventilation though with them going halfway up your leg.

Raidergate said:
I wear cowboy boots with either a rubber or cork outsole. They are the only things I have found that are comfortable and provide enough support to wear all day in the OR or rounding all day. I've got a couple of pairs that I normally wear, and they're broken in well. Clogs and the like just don't work for me.

Here's a pair that I wear regularly and really like.

Rocky boots

There's a guy in my program who wears cowboy boots with scrubs every day. I was told he even wore the boots to his residency interview, at the place where he eventually matched.

jennyboo said:
I own a pair of Danskos.... they take getting used to, they fit weird compared to other shoes (it is *weird* when your heel is "supposed" to lift out from the back of the shoe as if it were a slipper) and they're hard. I think they're comfortable, but still far from being the holy grail of shoes.

Need something comfy ASAP? Grab your regular sneakers (that's right -- your running shoes or whatever) and put 'em on. Nobody will care and everyone eventually caves in to wearing sneakers in the hospital at one point or another in their lives. Trust me, the surgery people (residents, attendings, intern) will NOT care what shoes you wear. Before entering the OR, you can grab some disposable shoe covers to slip over your sneakers and they should be fine.

Some people swear by Danskos for the hospital, but in terms of practicality and function they aren't really better than sneakers (except for being able to wear them unobtrusively under, say, a shirt, tie and dress trousers). If you find nothing better than sneakers, wear sneakers. Nobody will complain about your sneakers.
I've always worn my Reeboks or my Sketchers through every call and all through surgery, and I've never worn Danskos. Tho it's amazing how quickly the soles get flattened like pancakes. Which reminds me, I need to get another pair of sneakers. :thumbup:

I'm a nurse extern in the OR for the summer before I head back to school in September. I went out and bought a pair of Klogs. They are the most comfortable thing to put on your feet. They make them in different colors. I'm standing on my feet all day. I have two pairs. One pair is black, and the other a cool pink. The nurses love the pink swirl. They tried mine on and loved them. They are like walking on cushions. The best part about them is you can throw them in the autoclave. Too bad I can't wear them for my school clinicals :(
~Christina
http://www.klogsusa.com/

Hi there,
Senior General Surgery resident here. I started my PGY-1 year wearing running shoes on the wards and in the OR. I learned quickly that I didn't want anything that wasn't completely washable or anything that had laces. I then switched to cowboy boots which turned out to be too hot for the OR but great for the wards.

I now wear Dansko's in the OR and cowboy boots on the wards. My Dansko's almost never leave the OR unless I am running out to do something quick and do not have time to change into my "sh--kickers". I also have a pair or Birkie Boston's for when I am in the mood to kick my shoes off and on.

njbmd :D

I wore a pair of navy Birkenstock Super Birki clogs from my third year in medical school all the way through residency. Very comfortable, completely washable (autoclavable, even). They're my yardwork shoes, now. ;)

birkenstock-superbirki-green.jpg

Find a good pair of Merrell's -- you won't be sorry. I recently bought a pair of the Merrell slip-on mocs for my wife for everyday wear. She loves them. She wore them for 2 weeks and then wore her old shoes one day, and was horrified at how uncomfortable her previous shoes were.

I have relatively flat feet, and Merrell's work great for me. But I have heard from some people with very high arches that Merrell's aren't as comfortable for them.

I suffered with Dansko's last year. It's like wearing 2 bricks on my feet. The other day I bought these cool Haflingers which are soooo light, and comfy and good for my high arch.

I wonder if they come in true oak wood, like back in Holland?
ctwiedmayer said:
I'm a nurse extern in the OR for the summer before I head back to school in September. I went out and bought a pair of Klogs. They are the most comfortable thing to put on your feet. They make them in different colors. I'm standing on my feet all day. I have two pairs. One pair is black, and the other a cool pink. The nurses love the pink swirl. They tried mine on and loved them. They are like walking on cushions. The best part about them is you can throw them in the autoclave. Too bad I can't wear them for my school clinicals :(
~Christina
http://www.klogsusa.com/

Caffeinated said:
Find a good pair of Merrell's -- you won't be sorry. I recently bought a pair of the Merrell slip-on mocs for my wife for everyday wear. She loves them. She wore them for 2 weeks and then wore her old shoes one day, and was horrified at how uncomfortable her previous shoes were.

I have relatively flat feet, and Merrell's work great for me. But I have heard from some people with very high arches that Merrell's aren't as comfortable for them.

Wow, I've had totally the opposite experience. I supposedly have high arches, but Dansko clogs feel like they have no arch support at all, and my feet get tired even faster than in sneakers. The Merrell clogs are soooo comfortable, and seem to have much better arch support.

I don't know, maybe I'm just weird.

Anyway, my Dansko's got stolen, and good riddance!

kaos said:
I've always worn my Reeboks or my Sketchers through every call and all through surgery, and I've never worn Danskos. Tho it's amazing how quickly the soles get flattened like pancakes. Which reminds me, I need to get another pair of sneakers. :thumbup:

seriously, if you're worried about high arches and narrow feet..of which i am similarly afflicted...you can't beat the ol 991s. New Balance 991s are basically the only shoe I have found that come in AA. The arches aren't amazing but you can get custom-inserts for your high arches for cheap. And these bad boys last for a while. Downside is that they're not the most attractive shoe around, I've even been known to call em grandpa shoes at times but that hasn't stopped me from wearing them for the past 8 years.

I 'm kind of curious as to what someone with a high arch and narrow feet would need. I have flat and wide feet so I need a high arch for support and wide shoes so as not to rub. I'm not quite sure how the reverse could be problematic in a shoe.

Regardless...I found some Eccho's at Easy Spirit that seemed cumfy, but all the shoes seemed way too narrow. There was one with a very high arch, others fairly low. I suspect these would work for you.

Also, if you find a narrow shoe, remember that you can always adjust the arch by adding and/or removing insoles. If youre high arch is a problem get some orthotics. I

What about shoes to wear for females when you are working with a doctor in his/her office? Any recommendations?

Everyone's been recommending online sites to buy these shoes, but I'd really like to try them on before I spend the money. Right now I'm wearing New Balance sneakers. After my first 24 hr shift my feet are a little sore. Does anyone know a store where I could try on some of these shoes that have been recommended (Dansko's, etc)?

On the DANSKO website there is a link for stores i think. try your nearest shoe store that specialize in comfortable shoes. i found one in a mall.

You can find Dankso's at The Walking Company, which is in several malls. They give a 10% discount if you show them your hospital ID badge.

Where do you find Merrell's? I have stupid flat wide feet. Danskos rub.

Anyone have a preference between Merrell's and crocs? Are crocs supportive or just pillowy?

merrells are heaven... no one likes keens? I've seen a few ER docs at my hospital sporting them...

keens rock.
Another good clog is Sanita... I think they used to be a part of Dansko or something...but are much wider. I dont think clogs are so much more comfortable at the time, but my back feels a lot better for having worn them.

I caved in and bought a pair of the Dansko's. So far I really like them and I'm working about 11 hours a day on my Ob rotation. My feet feel much better than in sneakers. I will probably wear other shoes in clinic though. I just don't think they're dressy enough for slacks. They look ok with scrubs though.

katrinadams9 said:
Everyone's been recommending online sites to buy these shoes, but I'd really like to try them on before I spend the money. Right now I'm wearing New Balance sneakers. After my first 24 hr shift my feet are a little sore. Does anyone know a store where I could try on some of these shoes that have been recommended (Dansko's, etc)?

Nordstrom sells Dansko, if you're nearby one. Anniversary sale starts on the 14th and goes til the 31st...gotta love summer part-time jobs

try the danskos on in a store, and then order them cheaper online. i went from keen to dansko, and my back feels so much better. i'm obviously not in my rotations yet, but i wore them for about 10 hrs a day at my clinic job. they don't feel very comfy when you put them on, they feel kind of hard. but you feel the support after a long pain-free day.