Shoe recommendations for women for clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthogenes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What shoes do you recommend for female med students on M3 clerkships?

Bonus if they have a wide toe box and work with both pants or skirts.

Double bonus if you include links.

I dug up some older threads (2004, 2010, 2012)--but all the links are out of date. :/ Fashion changes too fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
;)

1939363276734312312d9NuQNQc.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
@Winged Scapula would probably shake her head at this but I worse Dansko mary janes. I got mine on clearance and they don't make that style anymore but it was similar to this: https://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Mary Jane/Misty/Black Nappa

Also wore comfortable flats. I love the brand Born and their cheaper/younger brand, b.o.c.

And sneakers whenever I wore scrubs (surgery, anesthesia, EM, ICU, night shift/weekends).
Agreed - those are horrible. But w/e you like is fine by me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard female podiatrists recommending Vionics for a more ergonomic women's dress shoe. Also, from what I understand, Naot designs their footwear with more support, a bit wider toe boxes, and (at least for some) a removable insert so a more supportive orthotic can be placed. I am not sure how fashionable either of those brands are, but I imagine they would at least be an alternative to the Dansko clog style.

I wore Danskos in the OR and on surgical rotations after I found that they helped my back, legs, and feet not hurt. During residency, I discovered www.procompression.com for fun compression socks.

In clinic heavy rotations, I found shoes that were almost like Tennis shoes. Nike had a Mary Jane that was super comfortable. Ecco had some fancy laced like athletic shoes (they weren't big and bulky). I also had an Ecco shoe like this one http://us.shop.ecco.com/women-newar...3_color=59564#cgid=touch+collection+for+women

I found several nice shoes that were comfortable and not too fancy at REI -- similar to Nike Mary Janes, but they were different brands. I'd go there and look for shoes that I could wear. I think I maybe wore a skirt once in clinic in med school. Typically, I'd wear slacks. The REI examples are here https://www.rei.com/c/womens-casual...-shoes&version=mtnwst&rank=rank-mountain-west

None of the shoes in the links are the ones I have since some of my shoes are >13 years old (before finishing college -- especially the Ecco) and still going strong.

@Winged Scapula would probably shake her head at this but I worse Dansko mary janes. I got mine on clearance and they don't make that style anymore but it was similar to this: https://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Mary Jane/Misty/Black Nappa

Also wore comfortable flats. I love the brand Born and their cheaper/younger brand, b.o.c.

And sneakers whenever I wore scrubs (surgery, anesthesia, EM, ICU, night shift/weekends).
Ohhh I bet I could do Born shoes!
I can't do Dansko due to bunions, but I completely forgot about born. I could do those. Thanks!
I wore Danskos in the OR and on surgical rotations after I found that they helped my back, legs, and feet not hurt. During residency, I discovered www.procompression.com for fun compression socks.

In clinic heavy rotations, I found shoes that were almost like Tennis shoes. Nike had a Mary Jane that was super comfortable. Ecco had some fancy laced like athletic shoes (they weren't big and bulky). I also had an Ecco shoe like this one http://us.shop.ecco.com/women-newar...3_color=59564#cgid=touch+collection+for+women

I found several nice shoes that were comfortable and not too fancy at REI -- similar to Nike Mary Janes, but they were different brands. I'd go there and look for shoes that I could wear. I think I maybe wore a skirt once in clinic in med school. Typically, I'd wear slacks. The REI examples are here https://www.rei.com/c/womens-casual-shoes?r=category:footwear|womens-footwear|womens-shoes|womens-casual-shoes&ir=category:womens-shoes&version=mtnwst&rank=rank-mountain-west

None of the shoes in the links are the ones I have since some of my shoes are >13 years old (before finishing college -- especially the Ecco) and still going strong.

Ecco, another great idea. Thank you! Thanks for the links, too.

Clarks loafers or Mary Janes. For the OR- Merrell all day every day.
I'll have to look those up. Thanks!
Clarks makes relatively comfortable heels.

Aerosole and Naturalizer also make some nice comfy wedges and heels
Cool, I'll check them out.
I've heard female podiatrists recommending Vionics for a more ergonomic women's dress shoe. Also, from what I understand, Naot designs their footwear with more support, a bit wider toe boxes, and (at least for some) a removable insert so a more supportive orthotic can be placed. I am not sure how fashionable either of those brands are, but I imagine they would at least be an alternative to the Dansko clog style.
Never heard of Vionics, will check them out. Not sure how Naot would go over here (very conservative) but if I could get away with them I'd be thrilled.

PS Ashers, that's too funny. Everyone wears skirts/dresses here. Not looking forward to it but we were recommended to wear a dress or skirt the first day of every rotation and judge from there if we "could" wear pants--of course we can wear pants no matter what, but that's the advice I got from our M3s. :oops:

I would recommend hush puppies brand. their comfort line is awesome. and they look good.

PS Ashers, that's too funny. Everyone wears skirts/dresses here. Not looking forward to it but we were recommended to wear a dress or skirt the first day of every rotation and judge from there if we "could" wear pants--of course we can wear pants no matter what, but that's the advice I got from our M3s. :oops:

Wow! I never heard of something like that. My sister did tell me in her med school class, she'd dress up for lectures, and assumed I did the same -- I didn't (I was a year ahead of her). I just don't like skirts or dresses, and I haven't since I was a kid, so I wore nice pants through residency.

Did you find some shoes?

I like crocs with scrubs (cheap, easy to clean).

Necro Bump...
All heart.com carries a line of scrubs and nursing shoes.

Thumbs down to Nursemates Align and London Slip-ons (both around 90 $)
Thumbs down to Dansko stapled clog narrow (100$)

Thumbs up to Anywear Angel Clogs. I lived through my last round of inductions on these . (Around 35$/pr)
Thumbs up to compression stockings moderate compression wide calf funky patterns from Support plus (14$ pair with discounts for large numbers)

I also need shoe feed back hence the zombie bump.