Coming back to California after out of state OMFS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jadesocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am matriculating into a 6 year program outside of California, however, I have plans to return. I've passed WREBS and have applied to take the law and ethics exam to get licensed in California.

My question is: Should I keep an active license for the duration of my training outside of California? Or do I wait until I finish my program to apply for licensure? Should I take the law and ethics exam now vs later?

If there are any residents with experience in this matter, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you can wait until the last year of your OS residency. It was an easier decision for me because my ortho residency was only 2 years. I kept my CA license active during my ortho residency in another state. The renewal fee was only $365 for 2 years (I believe it’s $600 now). I didn’t renew my DEA license and just let it expire because as an ortho, I didn’t need it. I remember CA board waived the required 50 CE units for the first renewal. For the second one, I got all the CE units from attending the lectures and seminars during my ortho residency and they were all free for the residents.

Are you required to have an active dental license in order to apply for the DEA license (which you will need for your OS residency)? If the answer is yes then I think you should keep your CA license active. Before ortho, I did a year of GPR and I used my DEA very often to write prescriptions for my patients… and not have to rely on the instructors’ and co-residents’ DEA licenses. With the active license, it was also easier for me to find jobs while in school. I got 3 job offers for a total of 22 workdays/month 2 months before completed my residency.

Last edited:
It would be foolish not to get and maintain the license now.

Many states won’t take WREB after 5 years from the date of the test

Having an active license for 6 years will also help you get licensure by credential elsewhere should your plans change.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the WREB in 2016 and got licensed in CA sometime in 2017. I am also in an out of state OMFS residency. I'm keeping my license active just because I didn't want to deal with retaking the law and ethics exam. Theoretically, you can wait 3-4 years, take the ethics exam and get licensed before the 5 year WREB. The cost of the license and renewal was worth the peace of mind and for 'what if/you never know' type of situations. I do not have a DEA. I spoke with the CA dental board and was told I am exempt from the CE requirements since I'm enrolled in a residency.