COMLEX and/or USMLE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the scores that most Neurology programs look for? Are there ones that are very heavy on board scores? They all say we look at the whole applications, but is that really true?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the scores that most Neurology programs look for? Are there ones that are very heavy on board scores? They all say we look at the whole applications, but is that really true?

Depends on what school you're coming from and the rest of your application, but if you're above 220 on USMLE you're pretty good. The top tier Neurology programs tend to want closer to 230, minimum. And the programs that say they 'don't care about board scores' are....lying. Letters of Rec, class rank, GPA, research, are important. How you did on your neurology rotation is also obviously important. It's really not too tricky to figure out what the programs want - good scores and an applicant that will make them look good, and fit in to their program.

Good luck!

I see, so, I guess if you come from an Osteopathic Program, it does make you look a little iffy. I'm trying to discover the programs that are not so board heavy but they are research heavy. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, so, I guess if you come from an Osteopathic Program, it does make you look a little iffy. I'm trying to discover the programs that are not so board heavy but they are research heavy. Any ideas?

Research is probably the 2nd most important aspect of your application. MD/PhD's are the top applicants for Neuro residencies because they can potentially develop research that will make a name for that residency.
Don't worry about being a DO. Shoot for the stars and see how far you can go.
No specific ideas on which programs are 'board heavy' vs 'research heavy'. I don't think that exists, honestly, because both are important. Just don't sell yourself short, and think "Whoa-is me I'm a DO and can't get in anywhere". Make your application as strong as you can and see where you end up. You'll probably be very surprised and pleased ;o)

Just wanted to add one comment about why DO applicants are sometimes considered less attractive. DO graduates are not bound to the NRMP match contract and have the opportunity to take a pre-match offer. Our program will happily interview excellent DO candidates and rank them highly, but then discover that they disappear from the rank list (i.e. withdraw from the match) prior to match list submission. We presume this is because they take a pre-match deal.

Neurology program directors at the major programs have a consensus to fill their programs through the match and not offer positions outside the match. Of course, not all PDs abide by this agreement. So, if you are a DO, you will need to think about whether you will take a pre-match offer from a less desirable program or stick it out to maybe get something better in the match. By the way, I find it bad form when DO applicants (or IMGs) ask for a pre-match during the interview, but I might be old-fashioned.

Just wanted to add one comment about why DO applicants are sometimes considered less attractive. DO graduates are not bound to the NRMP match contract and have the opportunity to take a pre-match offer. Our program will happily interview excellent DO candidates and rank them highly, but then discover that they disappear from the rank list (i.e. withdraw from the match) prior to match list submission. We presume this is because they take a pre-match deal.

Neurology program directors at the major programs have a consensus to fill their programs through the match and not offer positions outside the match. Of course, not all PDs abide by this agreement. So, if you are a DO, you will need to think about whether you will take a pre-match offer from a less desirable program or stick it out to maybe get something better in the match. By the way, I find it bad form when DO applicants (or IMGs) ask for a pre-match during the interview, but I might be old-fashioned.

Wait a second, unless I was mis-informed while applying (which is definitely possible), I was told you have to choose either the DO or MD match prior to applying to ERAS. Otherwise, as stated above, if you do the DO match, you are obligated to accept an offer if that is given to you.

Maddog2020, have you ever actually had a DO end up accepting a pre-match offer from a DO program or have you just 'heard of that happening'?

Depends on what school you're coming from and the rest of your application, but if you're above 220 on USMLE you're pretty good. The top tier Neurology programs tend to want closer to 230, minimum. And the programs that say they 'don't care about board scores' are....lying. Letters of Rec, class rank, GPA, research, are important. How you did on your neurology rotation is also obviously important. It's really not too tricky to figure out what the programs want - good scores and an applicant that will make them look good, and fit in to their program.

Good luck!

I never really get it when people say "top tier." Are you only referring to the top 10 programs? Or are you also referring to programs such as Emory, Vanderbilt, and U Virginia?

Last edited:
I never really get it when people say "top tier." Are you only referring to the top 10 programs? Or are you also referring to programs such as Emory, Vanderbilt, and U Virginia?

WELL MAYBE YOU NEED TO PAY BETTER ATTENTION!?! Haha jk...no top tier is like 5 - UCSF, Columbia, Harvard, and you can debate the other two. But you better at least have 230 scores for those programs or you'll be getting that awesome letter that starts out with "There were alot of applicants this year"...

Wait a second, unless I was mis-informed while applying (which is definitely possible), I was told you have to choose either the DO or MD match prior to applying to ERAS. Otherwise, as stated above, if you do the DO match, you are obligated to accept an offer if that is given to you. [\QUOTE]

I actually know of a few DO students who did a prematch contract with an ACGME program, but that was a few years ago. When I recently asked about it, my dean assured me that was not allowed, which was my perception.

Anyways bblue is correct, we can only participate in one match. Perhaps these students interviewed for both AOA and ACGME positions only to decide they wanted to match with an osteopathic program. From what I understand the AOA match is earlier than the NRMP. I guess those students would appear to 'disappear' from the list at that point.

Tell me if I'm wrong, I'm always learning ;)

If you enter the nrmp or aoa match, you are obligated to accept your match result. Allopathic students are required to use the match. However, DO, IMG, and prior year MD graduates can sign a contract before the match. And yes, we have had DO applicants drop out of the match and show up at an ACGME program, indicating that the took a prematch contract.

For the 2013 match, the NRMP might have a different approach when it comes to prematch contracts. Here is the most recent info I found in case anyone is curious. http://www.nrmp.org/all-in.pdf