COMLEX LEVEL 3 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikemedman19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for the last COMLEX. That is all.

Post scores, talk strategy, vent, find it all in the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone! Can those who used comquest post your first time pass % compared to your score? Thank you!
Level 1 569
Level 2 779
Level 3 764

first time pass (only time pass lol) thru comquest was 77% with peer avg of 67%. All on random timed. Didn’t use any other qbank and didn’t do a practice test. Comquest estimated me around 820 for level 3.

Reactions: 1 users
Passed, lowest score out of all exams. Was far above average on level 1 and level 2, and slightly above average on step 1 and 2. Bit below average on this awful pointless exam. Granted, did not sleep like at all the night before and took while Oregon was on fire, but still, thought this exam was major BS. Scored average on first and only pass of comquest which I think predicted my score like 100 points higher than I got. Good bye forever comlex. You will not be missed. At all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for the ones who will come after me and take this stupid exam. I passed. Barely but passed. I am not a great test taker and did not think I would so badly. I had my exam rescheduled 3 times (they rescheduled me). I truly thought the exam was accurate this time on questions. All questions seemed familiar, and you should be fine doing comeback or conquest. I had both, but because my exam was changed so many times. I studied for two months, then quit a month, then back to study, then quit. It was a nightmare. My last month trying to study all my numbers went down and I was scoring 50%. I was freaking out. I should have known. But hey, I am not trying to do a crazy fellowship and I am already a doctor. So yay, working 3 months night shift and trying to study for this for 6 months. I passed! glad to be done.

Level 1:430
Level 2:438
Level 3: 372

Low numbers... But I still made it into an awesome residency program and had more than just exam scores in my resume. There is hope :) Good luck to all out there

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting enough, my score was the exact average between comsae, which was lower and comquest higher than my score.

Really concerned I had failed. but passed! I did get the lowest score of the 3 though. Level 1 500's, Level 2 400's, Level 370's. Does this mean I'm getting dumber?! FML

I’m taking it next week. Any last minute advice for the CDM cases?
Just do the practice questions from your qbank of choice to get a handle on how the questions work. Otherwise nothing else you can do because the clinical reasoning you know now is what you’ll need to apply during game day. You’ll feel like you did poorly but will end up doing better than you expect.

Just do the practice questions from your qbank of choice to get a handle on how the questions work. Otherwise nothing else you can do because the clinical reasoning you know now is what you’ll need to apply during game day. You’ll feel like you did poorly but will end up doing better than you expect.
I’ve done the practice questions on COMBANK but I have to say the CDM cases really bring me down. Have definitely got more of the “select the tests” wrong than I’ve gotten right.

Took my exam about a month ago...Patiently waiting on scores.
Overall, felt like sh** walking out. Studied way longer than most and don't feel like I was prepared. Is it normal to feel like you guessed on over half the exam. I hate that feeling and this happens every time. Now that the scores are getting closer I'm getting nervous again.

Failed intern year got a 345. Studied for this stupid vague ass test for the last 2 months on and off. Finished combank twice avg around low 70s%.
As a pediatric resident this exam is so pointless but I did get the scabies question right even though it was super vague lol.
Took my test nov 15th and 8th. Let's hope I pass this time. Sooo over NBOME and all the money they took from us.

I’m just here to say this test is stupid and I hate it. If I get a 351 I’ll be over the moon.
Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m just here to say this test is stupid and I hate it. If I get a 351 I’ll be over the moon.
Agreed! Did you take it already? It seems like some people are saying they hated it because of the CDM cases but I thought the whole thing overall was a mess and praying for a pass and not like omg I hope I pass and end up getting a 700..like omg I hope I pass and there's a good chance I got a 200 :(

Agreed! Did you take it already? It seems like some people are saying they hated it because of the CDM cases but I thought the whole thing overall was a mess and praying for a pass and not like omg I hope I pass and end up getting a 700..like omg I hope I pass and there's a good chance I got a 200 :(
I took it on Thursday and Friday. I legit do not know if I passed or not. I thought the multiple choice wasn’t easy either!
here’s hoping for the best for both of us!

Another round of scores coming out in the next few days.. here’s to waiting for freedom from the NBOME

Reactions: 4 users
Passed! Goodbye NBOME! Pretty much exactly the average of my Level 1 and Level 2 scores. Felt pretty decent on the first day of multiple choice, but it seemed like I messed up something on every case and had more difficulty with the day 2 multiple choice. Felt like a guess on every 1 out of 4 questions on day two multiple choice.

Only used Uworld, did 80% of the QBank. 68% correct or so. Ended up with >700 on this nonsense exam.

Reactions: 3 users
Scores are up! I passed Level 3. I used COMQUEST but the percentile did not correlate with my actual test day score. Sadly, I scored much lower than the predicted score ( > 700) and my COMSAE score ( > 605). For Levels 1 and 2, I found that COMQUEST correlated better, for some reason. I think CDM turned out to be the make or break aspect.

Deuces to the NBOME ✌🏻
Used only COMQUEST with 73% on 1st and only pass over the course of two months.. no supplementals.
Predicted: (~680)
Actual: 607

my OMM was abysmal.. I am conflicted whether to feel shame or pride over it. 🤔

590-610 for both levels 1 & 2
630s level 3
Only used comquest, finished about 70% of it and was predicted around 600. Felt horrible about the cases
So glad to be done!
Bye bye Chapman's points & autonomics forever

Took day 1/2 today. Worried I might’ve failed and I’m already a pgy2 (they won’t renew pgy3 contract until we pass level 3 but you’re allowed to retake). Problem is covid pushed back dates (originally scheduled for May) so worried by the time results drop in feb, won’t be enough spots left by April to get my scores by contract renewal time in June. Any advice?

Took day 1/2 today. Worried I might’ve failed and I’m already a pgy2 (they won’t renew pgy3 contract until we pass level 3 but you’re allowed to retake). Problem is covid pushed back dates (originally scheduled for May) so worried by the time results drop in feb, won’t be enough spots left by April to get my scores by contract renewal time in June. Any advice?
I know how you feel. No advice at the moment though. How'd you feel about the second day?

Finally f*cking done with it all. EM and did about 300 Rosh before the exam. Reviewed a little spine mechanics and some preventative care stuff and got 786 (L1 669/ L2 793). The cases were pretty straight forward and MCQs were typical COMLEX garbage.

Will be on day 2 of exams tomorrow. Only did ~50-65% of comquest and averaged ~68. Did about 400 combank questions and averaged around 60% lollz. Did my decks for OMT and ethics. Read through RR in FA for last minute stuff. Day 1 has me feeling pretty worried. Felt like I only knew 5 out of every 10, was 50/50 on 2-3 out of every 10 and had no clue on the rest. I feel like I guessed on so many. I have narcolepsy and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep off and on during the second section. I'd nod off, wake up re-read the stem, look at my answer, and say yeah that looks good. Sucked so bad. Always feel like I failed after these things but end up doing okay ~500-600s, but man I'm definitely not feeling hot right now

What the hell even was that steaming pile of crap I just paid to take...

My expectations were low NBOME but holy ****

Don't bother studying. Did half of comquest but I may as well have done nothing. Save your money. Just go in. Guess on half of it. Throw up your hands and say **** it and leave. There is no way to prepare for 2/3 of the garbage they stuck on there.

Don't bother studying. Did half of comquest but I may as well have done nothing. Save your money. Just go in. Guess on half of it. Throw up your hands and say **** it and leave. There is no way to prepare for 2/3 of the garbage they stuck on there.
I took it yesterday, and what you wrote pretty much sums up how I felt after the test. I did all of comquest but still guessed on more than half the questions.

Last edited:

This lol

I see nobody started the whole "first day of score release" comment because we all know they won't come out until the last day anyways. ha!

Reactions: 2 users
I see nobody started the whole "first day of score release" comment because we all know they won't come out until the last day anyways. ha!
I am glad someone else posted here because I could not find a 2020-2021 thread and for a moment doubted my Google skills.

Hoping for a prompt score release, and to make COMLEX a distant memory.

Good luck, everyone!

Ugh.
I don’t even know why I checked today...I should know better by now to never have high expectations. Can’t wait to say I’m done with NBOME and their ****ty tests.

• Haha
Ugh.
I don’t even know why I checked today...I should know better by now to never have high expectations. Can’t wait to say I’m done with NBOME and their ****ty tests.
I’m on nights this week and waiting for the results is ruining my day sleep.

Well second time around on lvl 3 I passed.
First time was 345
Second time was 463.
Being a pediatric resident made this significantly harder.
I am glad NBOME is behind me and I never have to deal with it ever again.
Good luck to the rest of you!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I passed that stupid test!
I know most people do significantly better on level 3 than others, I did wayyyyy worse. But it doesn’t matter. It’s done and I’m free of NBOME!

Reactions: 2 users
Passed! Never have to deal with NBOME again.
I was honestly scared I failed because I guessed on over half the questions (or so it felt).

Ended up with a 699 (520/590/699).
Don’t stress.

Passed! Never have to deal with NBOME again.
I was honestly scared I failed because I guessed on over half the questions (or so it felt).

Ended up with a 699 (520/590/699).
Don’t stress.
Mind if I ask how you studied for it?

And also if you did comquest mind sharing your %?

Thank you for your time!

Mind if I ask how you studied for it?

And also if you did comquest mind sharing your %?

Thank you for your time!
I did Comquest almost one complete time with 68% overall. I also did a little over half of UWorld between April and my test in November. Over the last week, I just redid all of my wrong answers on Comquest and asked myself "why" I'd gotten it wrong after reviewing the answers.

Honestly, I think the most useful thing for me was just reviewing the topic in First Aid after doing a question about it. I took a lot of notes from UWorld in my First Aid book and just seeing those jogged my memory on a lot fo the topics. It's amazing how quickly a lot of the stuff comes back.

I did Comquest almost one complete time with 68% overall. I also did a little over half of UWorld between April and my test in November. Over the last week, I just redid all of my wrong answers on Comquest and asked myself "why" I'd gotten it wrong after reviewing the answers.

Honestly, I think the most useful thing for me was just reviewing the topic in First Aid after doing a question about it. I took a lot of notes from UWorld in my First Aid book and just seeing those jogged my memory on a lot fo the topics. It's amazing how quickly a lot of the stuff comes back.
Thanks for your reply! Potentially dumb question but you’re speaking about FA for step 3, yes? I’ve heard lots of folks talk about step 2 and even step 1 FA (wtf??) so just wanted to clarify.

Last edited: