COMLEX LEVEL 3 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikemedman19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for the last COMLEX. That is all.

Post scores, talk strategy, vent, find it all in the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

i'd like to take this time to say **** you NBOME for being the POS institution that you are. Passed using Comquest alone and basically think i wouldn't have scored significantly worse if i didn't even study at all. Good riddance to the NBOME and all of its trash exams (especially the Level 2 PE and M3 year COMATs, though Level 2 CE and Level 3 came pretty close as well).

I'm out. Peace.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed level 3 with the highest score of the three exams. Used only comquest got through 95% of the bank. Average score 68%. Don't stress, you got this.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took both days. Did above average on both Comlex and Usmle in med school. Being an IM resident helped a lot. Completed only Comquest first pass (78% correct) over two months, including an 11-day holiday dedicated vacation. Reviewed Divine Intervention's shelf-specific slides for peds, obgyn, surgery, and psychiatry. Skimmed through Savarese a couple days beforehand. Skimmed through biostats/public health section of First Aid Step 1. Stared at the absurdity of Comquest's CDM case answers as well as NBOME's practice ones; felt somewhat like crap after the official section. Definitely overstudied for the MC sections as they are essentially Level 2 caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just took both days. Did above average on both Comlex and Usmle in med school. Being an IM resident helped a lot. Completed only Comquest first pass (78% correct) over two months, including an 11-day holiday dedicated vacation. Reviewed Divine Intervention's shelf-specific slides for peds, obgyn, surgery, and psychiatry. Skimmed through Savarese a couple days beforehand. Skimmed through biostats/public health section of First Aid Step 1. Stared at the absurdity of Comquest's CDM case answers as well as NBOME's practice ones; felt somewhat like crap after the official section. Definitely overstudied for the MC sections as they are essentially Level 2 caliber.

Highly recommend people do this. I did not have time. Mine felt like every third question was either ethics or biostats. And I thought my MC was all next step questions for the most part, barely any L2 stuff, some L1 stuff. My Comquest first pass not including biostats questions was 90% and still feel like I did very poorly. Did not seem like Comquest was even covering the same test.

Can someone comment on the best way to prepare for the CDM portion of this exam. I did cases on NBOME website and COMBANK CDM cases. Any other way to prepare?

Checked to see if level 3 scores are out today and there's nowhere on the NBOME dashboard that says score pending or anything. Is that normal? Did scores just not get released yet?
Negative for me, took my dates early/mid dec. my test still show taken but not released. Obligatory see you on the last day comment, cause it’s NBOME.

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed. I'm so glad to be done with questions that have the grammatical and logical quality of an off-brand Dr. Seuss book. Which is an insult to off-brand Dr. Seuss books.

Score Release Window Time: 2/16 - 2/18
Actual Release Time: 12 pm EST 2/18. No surprise right?
Passed with mid 700s. Finished Comquest x1, completed 60% of Combank, Green Book (3 hours). Walked out of the testing center with a horrible feeling. Clinical Cases were the worst part imo.

Passed and done with NBOME. Straight trash, got 66% on first pass COMQUEST which I am beginning to wonder if it helped at all. Scored within 30 points below predicted. Not thrilled, but don’t care anymore.

• Love
Failed :( and wasn’t even close as I got a 280.
Level 1 was 402, level 2 was 420 so historically poor but always passed.
Any and all advice/tips welcome. Earliest date I can re-schedule available was in July so I got five months to study now.

Failed :( and wasn’t even close as I got a 280.
Level 1 was 402, level 2 was 420 so historically poor but always passed.
Any and all advice/tips welcome. Earliest date I can re-schedule available was in July so I got five months to study now.
I would use your combank/comquest QBank and focus on your weakest areas. Try and look at the breakdown for areas you failed on the COMLEX and really focus on those parts with your studying.

Anyone else take the test today?
Yeah, took first part yesterday and the second part today, CDM questions were surprisingly reasonable (for the most part). Multiple choice questions were absolute garbage, per usual. Hate that we have to wait until May for our scores...I just want to see that "Pass" and be done forever.

I feel like COMQUEST did a decent job at refreshing me on the material, but I feel there's nothing I could've done differently to prepare for the obscurity of NBOME questions. Some things were super straightforward as long as you came across the material at some point in time. Others wouldn't have mattered as they were asking for second line treatment or something further down the workup algorithm. Worst part is that this throws you off your game and you start missing the easy ones, lol.

That being said, if you're going through residency with the attitude of trying to learn management as you go through different services and doing questions (moreso in the areas that you don't get a chance to review like peds or OBGYN as an IM resident, for instance)....then you should be fine. I guess time will tell.

Done with OMM forever! Combank only, didn’t use savarese. Just did the full bank questions off and on for a few months (then started to redo the questions). Split the difference between level 1 and level 2 scores.
worried the last 8 weeks I had honestly failed this terrible test. CDM cases were not bad (again only used combank), MCQ on day 2 were tough. Felt I guessed on > half the questions. Goodbye cranial ghost hands, you will not be missed

Reactions: 1 users
Comquest only. Finished about 95% of qbank. Had all biostats left and a couple random questions but ran out of time. Qbank score was about 90%. Thought the real thing wasn't anything like the qbank and thought it was pretty difficult but they must curve it a lot. Ended up 970s.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Took comlex 2/24 & 2/25 Internal Medicine PGY-2
Scored 613 on COMLEX 3 (comlex 1 - 603, comlex 2 - 648). Definitely felt awful after the exam (as usual) and felt like I stumbled though all the CDM cases. Also forgot most of OBGYN and Peds as an IM resident. I only used combank for ~6 weeks and went through all the questions once. Opened up Savarese about 3 days before and skimmed through it.

Unsurprisingly, scores released on last date of window period at 5pm CT

Last edited:
took level 3 May with results coming out in July. I HATE this test. As i was taking the test i wanted to flip the table over. so frustrating. I think I failed it. no idea. I used mostly First Aid for step 3 and Combank questions. I felt great going in and as i was taking the test my confidence sunk. :(. IF i have to take it again anyone suggest Uworld? or COMquest instead?

took level 3 May with results coming out in July. I HATE this test. As i was taking the test i wanted to flip the table over. so frustrating. I think I failed it. no idea. I used mostly First Aid for step 3 and Combank questions. I felt great going in and as i was taking the test my confidence sunk. :(. IF i have to take it again anyone suggest Uworld? or COMquest instead?
Took exam in May and the wait for results in July sucks....

Did U world all once and Comquest for OMM. Also did additional 400 questions on comquest, studying was not consistent but studied hard 3-4 weeks prior to exam. 🤞🤞🤞

Dunno why they give a "range" of release dates when they WILL be releasing them on the last day, but whatever. Done with this garbage exam.

Did about 500 COMQUEST questions. Walked out feeling like crap. Scored the highest I have on any board exam. Whatever.

• Love
Got my score today, took it 3/29 & 4/3. passed--did about 60% of COMQUEST, walked out feeling like crap especially on 2nd day. Felt like bombed the first section of CDM cases but did ok on the next. MCs on 2nd day tougher than 1st day.

PEACE OUT NBOME.

Passed. Felt like it was the easiest of the three exams and studied the least...

Dunno why they give a "range" of release dates when they WILL be releasing them on the last day, but whatever. Done with this garbage exam.

Did about 500 COMQUEST questions. Walked out feeling like crap. Scored the highest I have on any board exam. Whatever.
What percent correct did you have? I took it today and only did about 500 combank q with 60%~ correct. feel like ****e coming out of the exam on day 1..

What percent correct did you have? I took it today and only did about 500 combank q with 60%~ correct. feel like ****e coming out of the exam on day 1..

I was averaging like 65%? You should be fine. I know it's cliche, but EVERYONE feels like crap walking out. The curve must be astronomical.

Well that was fun. Lots of vague scenarios and questions where I wasn’t sure wtf they were asking for. Pretty sure I bombed the cases (like every other one was wrong or missing a piece). Passed the other levels easily (500s then 600s), but I actually studied for those. Hoping for a pass on this one...

Well that was fun. Lots of vague scenarios and questions where I wasn’t sure wtf they were asking for. Pretty sure I bombed the cases (like every other one was wrong or missing a piece). Passed the other levels easily (500s then 600s), but I actually studied for those. Hoping for a pass on this one...
Did you pass?

Took the exam a few days ago. The first day was fine, but wow those CDM cases on the second really messed me up and I keep finding out I messed up more and more. On the select multiple tests we could only choose 4 tests and I'd be stuck between one or the other. I'd find out on the next part of the question that I picked the wrong one. This happened dozens of times. Apparently if I don't select all the right tests that means no credit. Then I found out yesterday that for the short answers " 0 points will be awarded for the question if you list more than 1 response in a box (for example, “type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism”)." I did something like this a bunch for example I'd put "asking about social and sexual history" because I felt that some of the prompts were so vague and confusing.

Do you think I failed? the rest of the second day went ok, but the CDM is a big portion of the exam.

Passed!!! I studied using comquest , I did the whole bank and reviewed most of the question explanations, I think I got like 80% correct on comquest, my predicted score was 900 and I got almost that score. I slept maybe 2 hours the night before the first day due to anxiety. I was exhausted and felt terrible; I ran out of time and didn't finish at least 30 questions. I was also guessing a fair amount. After the first day, I thought I would fail. The second day I finished everything but was guessing heavily, felt like I was completely guessing on at least 30% of the MC questions. The CDM was not nearly as bad as the practice CDM questions from comquest which felt impossible. The comquest MC questions helped with CDM material.

I thought there was definitely a chance I failed. I seriously have no idea how I scored this and the curve must be astronomical as someone suggested earlier.

Reactions: 2 users