COMLEX LEVEL 3 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikemedman19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for the last COMLEX. That is all.

Post scores, talk strategy, vent, find it all in the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Well that was fun. Lots of vague scenarios and questions where I wasn’t sure wtf they were asking for. Pretty sure I bombed the cases (like every other one was wrong or missing a piece). Passed the other levels easily (500s then 600s), but I actually studied for those. Hoping for a pass on this one...
Passed with a 630. Did 200 questions the day before (that was my “studying”) and left the exam in half the allotted time each day. I’m generally bad at multiple choice tests (usually score under whatever percent/score is predicted for me on qbanks) but this test was trash. If you did decently on step/level 1 and 2, you should be just fine passing this test. I felt horrible, esp with the CDM cases, but also don’t have enough energy to waste time caring more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What did you think of the cdm section?
def think its better than my cohorts taking usmle. its pretty much just cases, and short answer questions, and picking the best tests, very similar to the ones nbome has on its website for practice, and comquest

9/16 comlex 3 release date coming up....
At least they narrowed the release date to one day instead of a range of 3 days and releasing it on the last day anyways. Otherwise we would all be sitting here checking for scores every 30 min. Now I can check every few hrs knowing it won't be there...Sept 16 can't come fast enough.

First congratulations to everyone studying for their last COMLEX exam! I’ve made a post for every exam because I always read these comments for comfort and reassurance based on others’ experience. Thanks to everyone who posts! Due to the pandemic I took my exam at the beginning of my third year because my test had to be rescheduled several times.

I used COMBANK and completed all their questions. My percentages started out in the high 40’s and approaching my test date were in the mid 60’s (after about 2 months). I used my vacation (7 days of dedicated) where I reviewed topics in OnlineMedEd I was weak in and took 2 practice exams. I’m not saying anyone has to do this, I’m just not a great standardized test taker and it is what I had to do. The COMBANK Level 3 Assessment Exam 7 days out said my score range would be between 410-460. My COMSAE Level 3 Score 4 days out was a 510. My actual exam score was a 430. As a reference my Level 1 exam score was a 420 and my Level 2 exam score was a 450.

My actual test day experience was brutal. I would say I marked about 30-40% of every block and literally felt like I missed a component of every single CDM question. I was nearly in tears.

But I hope based on my experience someone finds this post helpful and continues to study hard. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have both UW and Combank, is UW overkill? For reference scored 550 on level 1 and 620 on level 2 but feel like I forgot everything

So I just took Level 3, first day, and finished in like 4.5 hours. Anyone else finish early? I didnt take the 10 minute breaks and I only took a 20 minute lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Score back
Study:
70% complete uworld qbank but did none of the cases, Free NBOME practice cases, Dr.HighYield YouTube videos, Online med Ed for refresher of OMM. Took no dedicated time for this but was on a good outpatient rotation with weekends off.

Previous comlex scores

Anybody only use UWorld for studying? If so how'd it go? My test in Wednesday. Haven't had much time to study. Almost 1/2 way done with UWorld. Been keeping up with my Anki self-made Uworld Step 3 deck. Idk.

I figured I would post since I read this forum in preparation and figured it might help some people. For what is worth I'm a PGY5 in a non medicine specialty. I used the online med-ed videos, COMBANK and COMQUEST. Studied for around 2 months, a few hours a day. Finished both qbanks and was in and around the 80-90 percentile.
Comlex 3-857
Comlex 2-548
Comlex 1-586

I would not worry to much about this test, I obviously over studied. I would recommend around 2-4 weeks of study time finishing one qbank (COMBANK I think is better, the CDM cases were similar) and listen in spare time the online meded videos (amazing free resource). Look at viscerosomatics a few days before.

You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone calm my nerves regarding CDM cases...

Using COMQUEST and getting almost every CDM case wrong by 1-2 options. I'm either "over-ordering" tests or not ordering enough testing...I'm doing pretty much what what my hospital does in terms of orders/management but it feels like comquest is being so picky and precise, where they give you 0 points for throwing in an additional test.

Anyone have any idea how the CDM cases are weighted??

I had my first day yesterday and honestly, it was a weird experience. All throughout the test I kept having to choose between two answers that I thought could both be right. I did all of COMQUEST in about 3.5 weeks and average was 70%, but I honestly am also fearing for the worst. I know there were a couple of EASY questions I missed after looking them up. Tomorrow is day 2, Idk how I can wait 2 months for the scores tbh....

Can someone calm my nerves regarding CDM cases...

Using COMQUEST and getting almost every CDM case wrong by 1-2 options. I'm either "over-ordering" tests or not ordering enough testing...I'm doing pretty much what what my hospital does in terms of orders/management but it feels like comquest is being so picky and precise, where they give you 0 points for throwing in an additional test.

Anyone have any idea how the CDM cases are weighted??
I'm in the same boat, I have no clue how they're graded obviously, but based on everything people say on these threads I feel like there's a crazy curve. I've tried looking it up to see if you have to choose every correct answer choice to get full credit or not but I can't find anything on the NBOME's website regarding that. So I'm assuming that the reason people do alright on the CDM portion is that they end up getting partial credit for answers. Like if instead of ordering all 4 tests they wanted you to order, you order 3 of them (and don't miss the most important one) then you probably get credit. At least that's what I'm praying is the case lmao

Reactions: 1 user
I had my first day yesterday and honestly, it was a weird experience. All throughout the test I kept having to choose between two answers that I thought could both be right. I did all of COMQUEST in about 3.5 weeks and average was 70%, but I honestly am also fearing for the worst. I know there were a couple of EASY questions I missed after looking them up. Tomorrow is day 2, Idk how I can wait 2 months for the scores tbh....
finished 1800 comqest questions in 1 week with 73% average. Helped me with maybe 20 questions on test day..the real exam was so fukin bizarre lol

Passed with highest score out of COMLEXes!! After the test thought I legit could have failed, def did way better than expected. Good luck to those still awaiting their scores