This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockDoc28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I couldn't find a thread about the 2017 COMLEX Level II PE so I thought I'd start one-- please comment a link to an official thread if one exists already.

I am starting to study for it and wanted to hear more about how the day went, what you used to study, etc. For confidentiality/ not getting kicked out of future COMLEX test reasons, some topics I'm looking for include:
  • Did you feel rushed during the testing, or did you have enough time?
  • What resources did you use to prepare and did you feel like they did a good job?
  • Any tips on writing notes you picked up along the way that you feel helped you save time?
  • Any technical difficulties on test day?
  • Where did you stay/ travel tips.
A list of topics to AVOID include:
  • Any detail about a patient case you saw on test day
  • Any detail about a patient case your friend saw on test day
  • OMT techniques you used on test day
Just to give a little more warning (even though I know you're all very good at not revealing improper info), here's the statement from the NBOME.

Alright, let's get this thing started!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed! :soexcited: I was a nervous wreck this past week. I've never been this nervous about an exam in my life. But here's a breakdown of what happened and what I did:

Preparation:
- Dedicated prep time was probably 3 weeks out from the test however I was looking at stuff here and there over 2 months prior to. I was on a research rotation so I did not have the whole day to prepare. Over the weekends I probably did 6-8 hours of prep in the morning.
- Our school (KCU) prepared a little compilation of documents for us that covered basic SOAP note taking, a comprehensive physical exam, I went over those things a few times to refresh myself on the template.
- We were also required to pass a clinical skills assessment prior to signing up for the exam.
- USPTF guidelines for preventative screening
- Vaccine schedule for adults and teenagers
- Kauffman COMLEX-PE prep book: read the case, came up with ddx right away, immediately thought of diagnostic plan (imaging, labs), specific exams I would do including OMM, then how I would tailor my questions for the HPI. This book suggests to make it a habit to ask first timing things "when did this happened, has this happened before" which I think helped in being efficient.
- USMLE First Aid Step 2 CS: there are an incredible amount of quick cases to go over here that are broken down by system and problem (depression, etc). in then back they also have full case breakdowns.
- I did not find time to practice with anyone. I would not suggest doing this at all. Practice with people as you need to find your conversational and physical exam flow.

Test:
- Took mine in Chicago. Drove from KC.
- Stayed at a hotel nearby testing site. I drove to the testing site and figured out parking once I got to hotel to make sure I knew the route and how long it would take.
- Sitting in the waiting room with the other students who were all shaking vigorously as they drank their bottled water from being nervous did not help. The testing site was cool and comfortable. They make you wear ID bands on your arm.
- I felt extremely rushed the entire time. They cluster your cases 3-4 back to back. They were exceptionally punctual with time and they had to pull a few students out of their rooms. I was able to complete all my cases on time including discussing the A/P with the patient but every SOAP note I was barely finishing. I was very worried that my conversational flow was rushed however thinking back most of the cases had a pretty unremarkable past medical and social history which made it easier to get through the case. There were 3-4 with more extensive histories
- The dumbest screw-up I can remember doing is that I listened to heart sounds over the gown on two of my cases because the gown was so tight. It never came to mind to loosen and remove the gown.
- I had one case that was a mess, I wasn't sure if it was a medical or social case and they waiting till the 2 minute mark to unleash a fury of other complaints they had.
- I had 4 cases where I used OMM. Two of them were frustrating and confusing in regards to exam findings and correct treatment.

Advice:
- They give you a locker and you must put EVERYTHING in there except for medicines which they will hold.
- When preparing, make sure you have a template of how you will ask questions for the HPI.
- BREATHE. Treat these SP's like they are real patients. It just makes the conversation more genuine IMO.
- Make sure you prepare for your social-focused cases (STI testing, depression) and preventative cases (diabetes screen, cholesterol check, wellness check), for the assessment they will have other problems (family hx of something, smoking) that you can add.
- There may be cases where they will have some sort of GU or GI component. do NOT say YOU are going to do a pelvic or rectal exam. Say "we plan on it if that is okay with you" (ask their permission). then write it in your plan.
- If you are confident with your typing, type everything out, there are some odd abbreviations that they will not consider for some reason like SOB for shortness of breath wasn't on the approved list.
- if you go to Chicago, there are only 2 bathrooms on the testing floor, everyone is going to use them right before the exam starts, so make sure you either go early or get close to those bathrooms as the testing start time gets closer.
- they have a little fridge of drinks with teas and sodas and water, on your last break you should get one and out it at your designated spot so you have something to drink after the test.
- If you stay at a hotel nearby the testing site in Chicago, know that Giordanno's delivers. if you haven't had deep dish pizza you're missing out. @Goro endorses that everyone try this amazing pizza.

Failed the PE a 2nd time...I prepped for it quite a bit and failed humanism. Not even sure what to do anymore. So worried about the upcoming residency app process and getting interviews

Passed! I was convinced I failed. I made so many mistakes. Relieved it’s over though

they're up! just got my email
Yep just got it I passed as well. So relieving to have it done.
Without getting too specific as I don't want a violation my advice is basically watching all the kaufmann videos, he really helped me think of stuff for many of the presentations. I did OMM on almost half my patients and it felt like too much. In fact, I actually turned down one guy doing the whole 'can you do something for that doc?' cause I thought it was inappropriate. After all the cases I had done at that point and I could hear Kaufmann saying that OMM is not appropriate for every case and obviously it worked out. I did explain my thought process to every patient.

For future students, things I did wrong and still passed:
I forgot to ask medications on at least 2 patients
I called two differents patients a variation of honey/sweetie/dear a couple times, I mentally facepalmed each time and said I wouldn't, but it was like an old habit kicking in.
I stayed in one room only like 8 minutes or something, and realized I probably should have spent more time later.
I didn't always recheck every disfunction I treated. Man my OMM must have been ugly, but I did do 2 techniques a patient.
I did other stuff but I just can't remember.

Helpful hints: I didn't do heart and lungs on every patient. I did basically no special tests outside of rebound tenderness and maybe obturator.
I did do the Kaufmann 'can I lower your gown thing' every time I did a lung or chest exam tho. I did 6 posterior and 4 upper anterior (above breasts) for lungs. You don't have time to do heart and lungs on every person. Do a focused exam first.

Make sure you know some basic wellness/physicals for both adults and adolescents. I think the Fed Tacos thing was great that Kaufman did, almost always brought up something extra for the differential. Also make sure you read the lab results before you go in the room. Don't make assumptions about the results being a good or bad thing, let the patient tell you how they feel.

Talk about your differentials as you are thinking them up. Discuss with the patient why and what you think they may be having as your finishing your physical. And if you hear that two minute warning, immediately jump to a rushed physical and then plan. Always make time for 'any other questions?' while sitting and looking at the patient. Its better to cut off half a physical than to skip that test.

I kept my ROS very short. 2-4 systems at most. one or two questions a system besides the general ferver, chills, weight loss, fatigue etc. Don't waste a lot of time on this and do it immediately after HPI. Then move on.

The Chicago site is very close to O'Hare and they give you lockers to store your carry on bag. I suggest you check out the morning of the exam and just bring your bags to the testing site and uber from there to O'hare (about $16). I was really worried about being able to make a 1650ish flight, so I booked a late night one. However, with uber pool and the close location I was able to get to the airport prior to 1530, so I actually moved my later flight up. If you are worried about traffic and similar things, I think its easy to make a 4:50 flight off of the morning session. Also O'Hare has lots of delays on flights out, especially on American, so you will be okay.

Thats all I got for now.

Last edited:
Failed the PE a 2nd time...I prepped for it quite a bit and failed humanism. Not even sure what to do anymore. So worried about the upcoming residency app process and getting interviews
So sorry dude/dudette. :( How did you prepare for it both times? For humanistic, it helps to practice with a person - how did you practice? I used Kauffmann and practiced with someone and it worked out well

So sorry dude/dudette. :( How did you prepare for it both times? For humanistic, it helps to practice with a person - how did you practice? I used Kauffmann and practiced with someone and it worked out well
I worked with friends, a counselor, as well as the school's standardized patients. Even asked if I was doing anything "unhumanistic" that I was unaware of. They said I was "very humanistic", which is why I'm so perplexed. This exam is affecting my residency chances and graduation. I'm so distraught...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I worked with friends, a counselor, as well as the school's standardized patients. Even asked if I was doing anything "unhumanistic" that I was unaware of. They said I was "very humanistic", which is why I'm so perplexed. This exam is affecting my residency chances and graduation. I'm so distraught...
Sounds like you are doing the right things....this exam is just weird.