comlex PE mistakes scaring me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cateyezz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i took my PE yesterday and I know its natural to feel scared but somethings i keep on thinking about over and over again and its just scaring me about the test...so we are not supposed to give definitive diagnosis to patients but one patient had a very obvious diagnosis ...and I told her it looks alot like x but we will order tests to make sure , however, because it looks a lot like x, lets get surgery on board just in case ... was i wrong? also i forgot to take the social history down for one of my patients that i REALLLYYY SHOULD HAVE ... and I was not able to finish the soap note on one patient ... another encounter where i just felt i made a comment to a patient i should not have ... i m just really scared that i hope it is not grounds for me failing ... i just tried to be friendly with the patients and I really hope the examiners see it that way :(

Members don't see this ad.

So i took my PE yesterday and I know its natural to feel scared but somethings i keep on thinking about over and over again and its just scaring me about the test...so we are not supposed to give definitive diagnosis to patients but one patient had a very obvious diagnosis ...and I told her it looks alot like x but we will order tests to make sure , however, because it looks a lot like x, lets get surgery on board just in case ... was i wrong?

Relax. If it's very obvious, there's nothing wrong with saying, "well, this could possibly be X, but we're gonna order these tests (A, B, C) to rule out more serious issues." The patient should have some basic baseline information about their condition.

also i forgot to take the social history down for one of my patients that i REALLLYYY SHOULD HAVE ... and I was not able to finish the soap note on one patient ...

....but this? Probably not good.

So i took my PE yesterday and I know its natural to feel scared but somethings i keep on thinking about over and over again and its just scaring me about the test...so we are not supposed to give definitive diagnosis to patients but one patient had a very obvious diagnosis ...and I told her it looks alot like x but we will order tests to make sure , however, because it looks a lot like x, lets get surgery on board just in case ... was i wrong? also i forgot to take the social history down for one of my patients that i REALLLYYY SHOULD HAVE ... and I was not able to finish the soap note on one patient ... another encounter where i just felt i made a comment to a patient i should not have ... i m just really scared that i hope it is not grounds for me failing ... i just tried to be friendly with the patients and I really hope the examiners see it that way :(

i took it yesterday as well in the afternoon. Which one were you? Btw it sucked. We alll felt the same way. Lots of mistakes. Loots of conflicting diagnoses. Missed information from very patient. My handwriting is terrible, and no one can read my notes. I scared two of my [atients. I messed up OMM twice.

Basically, don't worry. We all messed up.

Last edited:
everybody feels bad. hopefully you won't have to wait 8 weeks. I only waited about four. Everything turned out OK. Making a correct diagnosis isn't essential. I think the PE is more about how you are with patients and if you are respectful. I know there are two grading domains, but I believe most people who fail fail on the humanistic portion. Were you rude to a patient? That would be the only major problem. And I always told the patient what I thought it was. Why would you not?

Members don't see this ad :)
so i tried to connect with the patient as much as I could and one of the jokes I made with the patient...i felt i shouldnt have...it wasnt dirty or n e thing...just felt it could be misinterpreted the wrong way...and yea one of my OMM was totally ridiculous ... i tried to play it off as MFR...i hope they see it that way....but thanks for the input guys....i feel a little bit better now...i do hope we dont have to wait 8 weeks tho!

everybody feels bad. hopefully you won't have to wait 8 weeks. I only waited about four. Everything turned out OK. Making a correct diagnosis isn't essential. I think the PE is more about how you are with patients and if you are respectful. I know there are two grading domains, but I believe most people who fail fail on the humanistic portion. Were you rude to a patient? That would be the only major problem. And I always told the patient what I thought it was. Why would you not?

Do you think asking a patient why they are not making eye contact with you seems rude?