COMLEX PE Quick Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chadderdo21

One day at a time!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I take the PE in the afternoon tommrrow. I have 2 questions: Do I wash my hands once or twice? I have been told once is cool before you start the physical exam or do I need to do it once after I enter the room before I shake hands and the then again before the hands on stuff? I heard both ways, which one did you use and pass with? I think once is fine and twice is to is a waste of time personally. Also, any good links for soft tissue or Spencer technique junk? This whole test is a bunch of crap and I am looking to passing it and getting it out of the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Q about Comlex PE:
How long is for lunch break?
Do we bring our own lunch? do they have a locker for cell phone and lunch item? Can we go outside of building?
Thanks in advance.

Q about Comlex PE:
How long is for lunch break?
Do we bring our own lunch? do they have a locker for cell phone and lunch item? Can we go outside of building?
Thanks in advance.

1. Don't remember but sufficient
2. No, they provide you w/ lunch
3. Yes they have lockers
4. No

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I just got done. It went ok, I guess I will see how ok in 8-10 weeks. Laters!

Hi Guys
I take the PE in the afternoon tommrrow. I have 2 questions: Do I wash my hands once or twice? I have been told once is cool before you start the physical exam or do I need to do it once after I enter the room before I shake hands and the then again before the hands on stuff? I heard both ways, which one did you use and pass with? I think once is fine and twice is to is a waste of time personally. Also, any good links for soft tissue or Spencer technique junk? This whole test is a bunch of crap and I am looking to passing it and getting it out of the way.

The problem with stuff like this (and the entire test) is that we just don't know... it is anybody's guess. It would be nice if the NBOME or AOA "taught" us how they expect us to practice so that we may show them we are capable. But it's one big secret.

On test day, you will run into a few folks that have been completely out of the loop. I had one kid ask me how many patients we had to see 20 minutes before we started. More often than not, it is these folks that fail. My PE skills were mediocre. I didn't ask too many exceptional questions and stayed with the same dialog for each patient. I combined the pneumonics from the Kaplan and First Aid book to form: SLIQORAAFD PAPS. I didn't have to think during the exam. Simply allowed this ridiculous term to get me through. I was always one to freak out for the OMM practical exams, so I was a bit nervous about it. Always smile; use a soft and soothing voice; shake hands; wash hands; explain the diagnosis and plan; ask for any other questions; be confident.

From the NBOME PE website as well as the AOA's annual meeting on the Review Of Osteopathic Principles and Treatment Techniques:

"Pursuant to article 37 of the A.T. Still Addendum on Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, we recommend that all osteopathic students make sure to crack at least 5 if not all the knuckles of each hand before proceeding with any osteopathic treatment"

for whatever it's worth...I would DEFINITELY make sure to crack all of my hand knuckes before doing OMM.

are there pediatric patient's on the PE?

considering scheduling at the end of the year, before my peds rotation starts

Yes but you'll be talking to the kid's parent. They will tell you all the sxs etc. Obviously no physical exam so make sure you get as detailed a history as possible.

I would schedule it ASAP. There are ppl who fail for one unknown/stupid/the NBOME HAS to fail someone reason or another & have to delay graduation. As of 2008 (I think) you HAVE to pass step 2 in order to graduate. The peds rotation probably not worth putting your graduation at risk.

There are NO PEDIATRIC cases. After talking to dozens of students throughout the year, not one has mentioned any peds cases.

Schedule NOW. A few people that I know from the class before me scheduled too late, failed, and didn't graduate. Try explaining that one to your PD. Unfortunately, you can prepare till you're blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is: you really can't control your outcome on this exam. Just hope for the best.

On test day, you will run into a few folks that have been completely out of the loop. I had one kid ask me how many patients we had to see 20 minutes before we started. More often than not, it is these folks that fail. My PE skills were mediocre. I didn't ask too many exceptional questions and stayed with the same dialog for each patient. I combined the pneumonics from the Kaplan and First Aid book to form: SLIQORAAFD PAPS. I didn't have to think during the exam. Simply allowed this ridiculous term to get me through. I was always one to freak out for the OMM practical exams, so I was a bit nervous about it. Always smile; use a soft and soothing voice; shake hands; wash hands; explain the diagnosis and plan; ask for any other questions; be confident.

Did we take it on the same day?

Let it be known that I was one of those guys who asked how many pts we had to see right before it started, and yes, I passed.