Comlex retake timing, app timeline, audition. woof.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad_1020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Applying FM)
I need to retake Comlex II CE, failed with an abysmal score (number would be a good Step 2 score...). Haven't released score on ERAS, and I won't until I get a passing score. But I'm torn on what to do:
The only dates as of now: 11/06 in ~3 weeks (scores out early Dec) or 12/19 but scores not released until Jan 30-31.

The first date is very soon, and I'm concerned how much difference 3 weeks of studying will do (my problem: test-taking and speed...I'm slow. I need extra time but I won't get it. Knowledge base is adequate to pass I think?)
But the second date's scores are out so late, would I be screwing myself out of being accepted by programs? Rank list deadline's late Feb, but programs may do it in Jan I think (?), but without an uploaded Level II score I may not even get any more IV's.

So what's the greater risk here? Too soon is greater chance of failing again. Too late and you miss out on IV's, risk of not matching?

Bonus: Audition/away rotation at a good program coming up very soon but wouldn't get to study much at all. But I don't think I'll be a candidate with a failure now. Think it's in my best interest to withdraw and do a light rotation instead. Can I very politely withdraw and apologize?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd cancel the away, take the next 3 weeks to hammer down and take the test again ASAP. I am not sure on the percentages, but I'm sure there's a great deal of programs that will want the CK score for invite consideration and for sure for ranking purposes (along with the PE scores).

What were your practice scores?

Reactions: 1 user
You need to pass your boards. Forget all the other stuff. You can’t graduate and match and become a doctor if you don’t pass. Take the time you need to study and do nothing else, do questions over and over and over until you get the concept and understand the wrong choices (and why they’re wrong, too). Don’t neglect OMM, because knowing OMM like the back of your hand will help you do well. Do not take the exam if you’re not ready, take it in December if you feel like you’ll be 100% ready going into the exam that day, or else risk another failure. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Practice scores were low 500s on combank test, 340s on Comsae D (old test before forms 101, 102).
3 weeks is a very aggressive timeline, and it’s risky. But I’m not sure if a Jan 30-31 score release does any good if I miss out on other IV’s and rank lists, although a failure is bad enough. Either way may result in not matching anywhere or only in the worst of places.

(Applying FM)
I need to retake Comlex II CE, failed with an abysmal score (number would be a good Step 2 score...). Haven't released score on ERAS, and I won't until I get a passing score. But I'm torn on what to do:
The only dates as of now: 11/06 in ~3 weeks (scores out early Dec) or 12/19 but scores not released until Jan 30-31.

The first date is very soon, and I'm concerned how much difference 3 weeks of studying will do (my problem: test-taking and speed...I'm slow. I need extra time but I won't get it. Knowledge base is adequate to pass I think?)
But the second date's scores are out so late, would I be screwing myself out of being accepted by programs? Rank list deadline's late Feb, but programs may do it in Jan I think (?), but without an uploaded Level II score I may not even get any more IV's.

So what's the greater risk here? Too soon is greater chance of failing again. Too late and you miss out on IV's, risk of not matching?

Bonus: Audition/away rotation at a good program coming up very soon but wouldn't get to study much at all. But I don't think I'll be a candidate with a failure now. Think it's in my best interest to withdraw and do a light rotation instead. Can I very politely withdraw and apologize?
I'm not convinced your knowledge is adequate to pass if your scoring 300 or below on actual level 2 (which is what you imply). I would do the later date and make it count. You need all of online med ed at least twice plus a 2x QBank of choice (comquest has long stems and would be my suggestion however, Uworld is always an option that I will never pan). Do those two things and do them well and you should pass.

Practice scores were low 500s on combank test, 340s on Comsae D (old test before forms 101, 102).
3 weeks is a very aggressive timeline, and it’s risky. But I’m not sure if a Jan 30-31 score release does any good if I miss out on other IV’s and rank lists, although a failure is bad enough. Either way may result in not matching anywhere or only in the worst of places.
A 340 on the old form is bad. I would use other words, but I'm trying to be nice. You weren't ready. I will differ and say you should still audition, but afterwards you need to study and make that time count. Do dec and forget about Nov. You need to pass and you probably need the audition for the interview it should get you, so if its me I do both.

Take the combank test again now. see where your baseline is. If it's close to failing, do the later date. If not, do the earlier date.

Cancel the away and start studying full time now.

Take the combank test again now. see where your baseline is. If it's close to failing, do the later date. If not, do the earlier date.

Cancel the away and start studying full time now.
It sounds like he needs the interview. I think hes got to stick out the away and go for broke in dec. I agree your strategy is more likely to pass level 2, but I think it also makes him more likely to SOAP and that outcome is really concerning for someone with failed boards. He needs that positive feedback from a rotation, cause he has lost his advantages as a DO with failed boards. I would try to makeup for it prophylactically by an awesome away. No one will rank him without passed boards either way, so they will demand a rerelease of scores prior to rank. He will fare a lot better on a list with a good away and a fail than no aways and a fail.

This is great advice everyone.

I'll retake a practice exam (deciding which one to take) and see where I stand. Knowledge base might've been worse than I thought, another big factor was not finishing a lot.

I found one site with an 11/16 test date which would give an extra week or so to study. It'll be a PITA to get to as it's several states away, but it's an option.
There's 5-week study review programs, which while they will help, I'll lose all auditions and then it's a late Jan score release anyway.
A review program's a better option if I take a Dec test. If I take and pass the Nov test and keep an audition, that's best.
-I'm considering shooting for 11/16 and if I feel hesitant then I can take it in Dec. I just don't know how much I'm screwing myself in terms of IV invites/if I'll get any more if I don't get a score in asap.

BorntobeDO?, I agree with your logic, but this may influence your advice:
-Regarding the rotation, the apps are reviewed until ~early Dec, so I likely won't be a candidate. And it's a great program, so don't think a great away will negate a failure, and it seems pointless to continue with it if I won't be considered (score won't be in) or to stick with it just because it's the considerate/responsible thing to do. I feel awful about withdrawing last min, and am concerned about backlash as programs talk. But I feel like I don't have much of a choice, and this feels like a valid reason to have to cancel last minute, even though it's still terrible.

-I have another away rotation after that, at a less competitive program, and I'm planning on keeping that one so I'll have an away and I'll have better odds there.

This is great advice everyone.

I'll retake a practice exam (deciding which one to take) and see where I stand. Knowledge base might've been worse than I thought, another big factor was not finishing a lot.

I found one site with an 11/16 test date which would give an extra week or so to study. It'll be a PITA to get to as it's several states away, but it's an option.
There's 5-week study review programs, which while they will help, I'll lose all auditions and then it's a late Jan score release anyway.
A review program's a better option if I take a Dec test. If I take and pass the Nov test and keep an audition, that's best.
-I'm considering shooting for 11/16 and if I feel hesitant then I can take it in Dec. I just don't know how much I'm screwing myself in terms of IV invites/if I'll get any more if I don't get a score in asap.

BorntobeDO?, I agree with your logic, but this may influence your advice:
-Regarding the rotation, the apps are reviewed until ~early Dec, so I likely won't be a candidate. And it's a great program, so don't think a great away will negate a failure, and it seems pointless to continue with it if I won't be considered (score won't be in) or to stick with it just because it's the considerate/responsible thing to do. I feel awful about withdrawing last min, and am concerned about backlash as programs talk. But I feel like I don't have much of a choice, and this feels like a valid reason to have to cancel last minute, even though it's still terrible.

-I have another away rotation after that, at a less competitive program, and I'm planning on keeping that one so I'll have an away and I'll have better odds there.
I would contact the program first and try and find out if they offer interviews to people who rotate. If they say yes, remind them of your rotation and keep it. If no, then I think its obvious what you should do.