COMLEX Step 3 Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duckieface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took mine Feb 25th. It's 5 weeks and nothing. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else blown away by their step 3 score?

My scores for the first two tests were just below 600. Admittedly, I studied more for the USMLE test during step 1 and 2 and took the first COMLEXs as an after thought.

However, just got my score yesterday for step 3 and I got 755/94! Completely thought the score was an error do to all the NBOME website maintenance. All I did for study was comquest qbank, redoing my incorrect questions. When I took the test I had the typical post-COMLEX dissonance and anger because of how illogical and unapplicable most of the questions were. Needless to say I am quite surprised.

Definitely would not have spent a month doing comquest if I knew the test would be so easy to pass.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend forgetting about it for 5 weeks and then obsessively checking each evening thereafter.

Score returns for each of my steps took just under 6 weeks. Don't worry about how you felt leaving the exam. If you did fine during internship then you likely easily passed.

Pass/Fail reports are now available online

4 weeks and 4 days after for me

I passed thanks God!

Best wishes to everyone!

Ok NBOME buh buyee!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ComQuest. Went through once in tutor mode, no timed exams. Read every explanation. Did not re-do questions I got wrong, just went through the whole QBank once.

No other readings. No other studying. I am, however, a medicine resident who had completed my intern year. I recommend to any non-medicine folks (and folks who are shaky on the following subjects) to review peds, ob/gyn, and surgery in boards & wards, and review Savarese OMT. I didn't really need anything else.

Well for all things academic preparing for this test in my opinion depends on how you learn best.

I'm not the best at memorizing in the world, my learning skills were probably more adequate for something like physics/engineering than for medicine where memorizing large volumes of seemingly useless data is vital for academic survival.

So with that in mind, and knowing I'm an FM resident, consider what I did to prepare accordingly.

I did about 300 questions of OB/GYN from exammaster
About 300 questions of pediatrics from exammaster
About 450 questions of mixed questions including OMM from combank
I memorized the sympathetics/chapmans from savarese and our residency handout and the principles of muscle energy treatment.

Exammaster was a harder test than combank and that the real thing but it helped me figure out areas that were hard for me to memorize and that I worked harder on (mnemonics, etc)

I also took the COMSAE which predicted my actual score by about 30 points.

Hope that helps!

Well for all things academic preparing for this test in my opinion depends on how you learn best.

I'm not the best at memorizing in the world, my learning skills were probably more adequate for something like physics/engineering than for medicine where memorizing large volumes of seemingly useless data is vital for academic survival.

So with that in mind, and knowing I'm an FM resident, consider what I did to prepare accordingly.

I did about 300 questions of OB/GYN from exammaster
About 300 questions of pediatrics from exammaster
About 450 questions of mixed questions including OMM from combank
I memorized the sympathetics/chapmans from savarese and our residency handout and the principles of muscle energy treatment.

Exammaster was a harder test than combank and that the real thing but it helped me figure out areas that were hard for me to memorize and that I worked harder on (mnemonics, etc)

I also took the COMSAE which predicted my actual score by about 30 points.

Hope that helps!

30 points higher or lower?

I did most of the Comquest bank, reviewed the answers I got wrong and some of the ones I wasn't real confident about. I did not repeat questions. I also memorized the major Chapman's points (didn't get a single Chapman's question, though) and the para/symp stuff. I took the COMSAE and it underestimated my score by 100 points. I did pass.

I took mine on 8/27. I didn't think it would be back; checked it out of curiosity. It's back! Less than 4 weeks. :D PASSED :D

Buhbye COMpLEX. Buhbye SAVARESE.

Took the last level today. Assuming I passed, although a bit weary considering I studied less than 6 hours total for this thing, prob did ~300 questions. Feels good to probably be done with those things. Anyone know if specialty board exams are taken at Prometric sites also?

Took the last level today. Assuming I passed, although a bit weary considering I studied less than 6 hours total for this thing, prob did ~300 questions. Feels good to probably be done with those things. Anyone know if specialty board exams are taken at Prometric sites also?

Hey Kuba, time flies man... seems like we were just premeds applying to med school. At any rate, took the exam today as well. Had gotten a 522 on the COMSAE Phase 3 and ~67 on COMQUEST and ~72 on COMBANK. The real exam was an entirely different beast with all the EKGs and audio samples. I hope I still did above avg. Feels good to be done with the BS NBOME.

Took Step 3 yesterday. Had plenty OMT, vague public health questions..

COMSAE 537, will see the actual results in 4-5 weeks.

I called the NBOME a week ago, non-score related.
They said the scores will be out this week.

I took the exam on the 22 of Sept.

Still waiting...

Thanks!

Jon

step 1 - 423
step 2 - (round 1) 395
Step 2 - (round 2) 395
Step 2 - (round 3) 412
Step 3 - 628

Not that it counts for anything, but somehow I had a major step up.
I will also confess that I don't know how I pulled it off.

Take it easy and good luck, and most of all GOOD BYE NBOME!!!

JWD

COMSAE FOR STEP 3: 660
REAL SCORE: 560

what i used:
first aid for family med boards, read certain sections
combank
comquest
green book

Got my results today: 502, which is low but at this point I don't care anymore.

Good luck to all of you.
Be sure to review Savarese, I had plenty of OMT questions this time.

Test date: Sept 23
Score: 769/95

What I used:
USMLE World question bank was my main source
Master the Boards USMLE Step 3
scanned through Savarese x 2 nights before

Was amazed at my score given that I'm in peds and didn't have that much peds on my test.

COMLEX Levels 1 & 2 400's

COMLEX Level 3: 610/87
COMSAE Phase 3: 522

Study Materials

First Aid USMLE Step 3, mostly once-through although ob/gyn, peds, and cardio were X2
COMBANK (3/4 completed)
COMQUEST (all completed, then repeated wrong answers)
COMSAE Phase 3, looked up questions I didn't know after the timed exam.

150+ point increase by doing more questions, less reading... wish I had known sooner....

Last edited:
Test date: Sept 23
Score: 769/95

What I used:
USMLE World question bank was my main source
Master the Boards USMLE Step 3
scanned through Savarese x 2 nights before

Was amazed at my score given that I'm in peds and didn't have that much peds on my test.

Wow. Are you at the beginning of your internship or at the beginning of your PGY-2? That's a great score, congrats!

Thanks! PGY2 in peds. Wish I had taken it sooner as I haven't looked at anything adult medicine for over a year, but very thankful I did so well. Congrats on your score too. That's a nice increase.

Studied about one hour/day for 2 months, took exam on Friday and Monday through thursday of that week off and studied about 5 hours/day. Did all of com bank and comquest averaging 65-75%. Got a 496 on COMSAE phase 3 two days prior to exam. In retrospect I would have spent a lot more time on radiology, otherwise felt well prepared. Also, I used USMLE world for first two steps and felt that the questions on the real exam were MUCH longer than the ones on combank/quest, I was pushing it time wise the day of the exam.

My results:
Step I: 505
Step II: 562
Step III: 520

Hope that helps!

Got my results yesterday. Did all of USMLE World and COMQUEST. Average around 74 % on COMQUEST. I used First Aid, I would recommend Kaplan book instead, first aid is so vague. I did COMSAE Phase 3, scored 630. Here are my results:
Step 1: 587
Step 2: 590
Step 3: 609

best of luck :)

Well, this was certainly a pleasant surprise. My best score yet, and I feel like I studied the least for it...

I had two back to back light rotations, in which I studied Kaplan Step 3 master the boards, savarese omm, a few chapters of swanson's family medicine review, and did comquest qbank. I did comsae phase 3, which was a waste of 50 bucks.

Step 1: 548
Step 2: 538
Step 3: 672!

Goodbye and good riddance, NBOME.

Btw, do you guys know that anyone can write questions for the NBOME, as long as they have a DO degree, and they take a 3 hour course on the nbome site? Lamesauce...

Bad case of pre-mission jitters starting to set in --- Started a month out with USMLE world - made it through peds and OB -- picked up COMQUEST two weeks out and am trying to finish it by Sunday with exam on Tuesday to be able to review notes in 1st AID x 1. Averaging 57% on COMQUEST --- I've read some of the study plans and it makes me nervous but I'm in tutor mode reading the 'splanations.....

Any words of wisdom out there?

Took it 11/29, real random, but c/w step 1 and 2. Each test i've taken results have been back within two weeks, hopefully this is the same!

step 1 - 423
step 2 - (round 1) 395
step 2 - (round 2) 395
step 2 - (round 3) 412
step 3 - 628

not that it counts for anything, but somehow i had a major step up.
I will also confess that i don't know how i pulled it off.

Take it easy and good luck, and most of all good bye nbome!!!

Jwd

passed!

Last edited:
Im taking mine Dec 21st!! So we shall see....Anyone else taking theirs soon?