Commencement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what the grad ceremony is like for DO schools. Do you have to purchase the doctoral regalia and get hooded during the ceremony? I sat through a bachelor's-level ceremony tonight and wanted to jump out of the window (I didn't attend my graduation).

I'm hoping med school is at least different as to be interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Graduation ceremonies may vary some from place to place, but I've seen a couple of DO commencements and have one coming up in a couple of weeks. Usually the academic regalia can be rented and yes, you will be hooded. Sometimes you can designate a relative or friend that is a physician to do the hooding, you'd have to check your school policy to be sure on that one. At some places graduation is mandatory, others not. When you do it yourself with your classmates that you have been through all kinds of trial with in 4 years, and realize that it is probably the last time that you will see many of them, as well as the first time that you will be called "doctor" then it will probably be less boring than as a spectator.
Hope this helps!