Comments about TX programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of selecting the programs I will apply to and I am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to comments on TX programs.
The ones that jump out at me at UTSW and Baylor but I feel I know next to nothing about them.

I vaguely remember UT's post about SW many months but I can't seem to find it.

Any comments or opinions at least about Baylor and UTSW, which I think are the ones I will apply to in TX, would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

toughlife said:
I am in the process of selecting the programs I will apply to and I am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to comments on TX programs.
The ones that jump out at me at UTSW and Baylor but I feel I know next to nothing about them.

I vaguely remember UT's post about SW many months but I can't seem to find it.

Any comments or opinions at least about Baylor and UTSW, which I think are the ones I will apply to in TX, would be greatly appreciated.

The Scutwork reviews on UTSW are pretty much dead on, although the timetable for a new Parkland Hospital is uncertain. I know I wrote a post here about my home program, but I'm kind of pressed for time to look through all of my past posts. It's there, but you may have to go a little farther back.

I would ask Tollway to comment on the Baylor program. I think Lydia Conlay is an outstanding chairperson.

I'm not in anesthesia, and certainly not in this program, so take this with a grain of salt...

I'd recommend taking a look at UTMB's program as well. My next door neighbor when I was a med student there was one of their residents and loved it. I also did a fourth year rotation there and felt I learned alot. The residents were happy and felt they were getting strong training.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
UTMB is definitely top shelf. I'm preferential to my home program because of the fact we are the only program in DFW and we get all the cases we want, but if I had to choose a different program to train at in the state of Texas, it would have to be UTMB.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. I will certainly look into UTMB as well and add it to my list.

Thanks!

Hi there! Just some info from a M4 at Scott and White.
The residents are really happy here, very friendly and tight-knit. Faculty are really great at teaching; also good reputation for high passing rate on boards. Schedule is really great- have plenty of supportive CRNAs (who also teach some basics in the OR), so there is time to read outside of work. The relationship with the surgeons is ideal, and overall very benign. Good CT, Pain, Peds, Critical Care exposure, although I don't think there are any fellowships here. Temple, TX-Small town is actually a benefit- you can live 10 minutes away in a nice home without worrying about major traffic.

I know S&W may not come with the high-dollar name/research, but I really feel it's a solid program and one of the best in Texas. I honestly tried to pry all the negatives out of the residents and I've found nothing! I'm from here, so I hope I get a chance to interview at many programs to see if it's all true-
Take care!

MD/TX2006 said:
Hi there! Just some info from a M4 at Scott and White.
The residents are really happy here, very friendly and tight-knit. Faculty are really great at teaching; also good reputation for high passing rate on boards. Schedule is really great- have plenty of supportive CRNAs (who also teach some basics in the OR), so there is time to read outside of work. The relationship with the surgeons is ideal, and overall very benign. Good CT, Pain, Peds, Critical Care exposure, although I don't think there are any fellowships here. Temple, TX-Small town is actually a benefit- you can live 10 minutes away in a nice home without worrying about major traffic.

I know S&W may not come with the high-dollar name/research, but I really feel it's a solid program and one of the best in Texas. I honestly tried to pry all the negatives out of the residents and I've found nothing! I'm from here, so I hope I get a chance to interview at many programs to see if it's all true-
Take care!

Thanks for the input. It's great to hear there are good programs in TX. I spent some time in TX before and I would not mind returning back there for residency. Being in med school in the west coast, we don't get to hear much about programs in the south central/southern part of the country.

Is there any program in Tx where are currently IMGs or a IMG had any chance to match?
I'm doing anaesthesia over here in Europe and am going to move there next year. From anything I read by now I am starting to feel so depressed.... :(

Tech might be the one to look at if you are an IMG interested in Texas. They are in a bit of a transition right now with a new chair and the pain department undergoing some shuffling, but otherwise still a solid program.

From an interviewee perspective.

I applied to and interviewed at Baylor, UTSW, and UTMB. They are all great clinical programs. This is how I would separate them:

If you believe that you learn by working 70-75 hours a week and having a lot of autonomy while doing the toughest cases in the world, go to UTSW.

If you want to learn by working 50-60 hours and having excellent didactics with other financial perks but live on an island one hour from anything go to Galveston (BTW it is second only to UAB in the South in NIH funding and NUmber 1 in Texas for ANesthesia.)

If you want to learn with the newest equipment in the newest facilities and have a great private environment and work about 50-60 hours per week then go to Baylor.

I loved all of the Texas programs and I would love to match at any of them, but this is what I saw.

I did not get an interview at UT-Houston, which I thought was weird.

cubs3canes said:

I applied to and interviewed at Baylor, UTSW, and UTMB. They are all great clinical programs. This is how I would separate them:

If you believe that you learn by working 70-75 hours a week and having a lot of autonomy while doing the toughest cases in the world, go to UTSW.

If you want to learn by working 50-60 hours and having excellent didactics with other financial perks but live on an island one hour from anything go to Galveston (BTW it is second only to UAB in the South in NIH funding and NUmber 1 in Texas for ANesthesia.)

If you want to learn with the newest equipment in the newest facilities and have a great private environment and work about 50-60 hours per week then go to Baylor.

I loved all of the Texas programs and I would love to match at any of them, but this is what I saw.

I did not get an interview at UT-Houston, which I thought was weird.

I interviewed at UTMB and UTSW. I liked both of them very much and I agree with what was said here as far as my impressions of the programs. I did not interview at Scott and White but have worked with attendings from there and they loved the program. These attendings were highly regarded by people who trained at programs such as Stanford, Duke, CHOP, etc.

cubs3canes said:

Which field r u talking bout? Is it internal medicine. this is bcoz i want to stay in texas and would like to work 50-60 hours a week in IM

seeing that you are in the "anesthesiology" forum... take a wild guess :p