Committee Letter Ranking Question, Hurt Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenzing2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question on the Committee Letters.
My schools ranks it's pre-meds, 10% Top, Next 15% Strong, next 60% Recommend, 5% DNR.

My question is this: I've come a long way academically: Started as a freshman 3.0, then did another 3 years (4th year student) and maintained a >3.9 average every semester.
I'd really like to apply to some dream schools (so long the MCAT goes well). BUT, what happens if I don't get a high ranking in the committee letter...

Is it a death sentence to top 10-20 if I'm not in the "Top" section?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Top schools review your application holistically. They're not going to throw your application into the trash pile because your committee only "strongly recommended" you. If you have a truly stellar application, this isn't going to sink it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Score top few percent on the MCAT before starting to worry about tiny things like this affecting your top 10-20 odds!

Am I the only one that noticed the percentages only add to 90%? I agree with everything said above, make the best application you can so you have no regrets when the time comes to apply.

Am I the only one that noticed the percentages only add to 90%? I agree with everything said above, make the best application you can so you have no regrets when the time comes to apply.
Probably there won't be any Committee Letter for the remaining 10% ... because there are too many pre-meds and the committee member are too busy to get it done in time for everyone .... so first come first serve ;-)