Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atom21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what a committee letter really is and why an interview is necessary for one.

Please no rude answers

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain to me what a committee letter really is and why an interview is necessary for one.

Please no rude answers

Some schools have a "pre-health committee", a committee made up of normally important people in pre-health aspects of your school. Some members may be former adcoms from medical/dental/pharm/vet/etc. schools or from a similar position. So as you can imagine, people on the committee have some weight in their recommendation for you. Normally you are assigned one member to interview you, and you've most likely never met them, so they have to interview you to get to know you. It is normally a bit informal but they generally want you to succeed and want to represent the better qualities of you, hence why they interview you. After which, they will discuss you application with the entire committee and the member will write a letter on your behalf which you can use to send to your dental schools. It's a good experience because it's like a mini application process before you start your interviews for dental school but in the end, the committee wants you to succeed! Why most schools prefer a committee letter if your school has one is because, like I said, these people are generally important and have had their hands in some aspect of admissions and I believe they generally rate you on how well of an applicant you are. I've heard some horror stories on terrible committees and if you think your school might have a terrible one, consider skipping it. My schools committee is very nice so I will be going through them and the interview just helps them create a stronger recommendation letter for you.

Reactions: 1 user