Committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wanttobeaDMD

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy holidays all!

I'm applying to dental school summer of 2016. Since I've been out of undergrad for awhile, my LoRs will be from 2 dentists, 1 professor of dental hygiene and 1 from an orgo professor. I've seen some schools list 2 must be from science professors OR a committee letter (which is what I'm doing). My question is if I have a commitee letter, will 1 science be enough (from my orgo prof)?

Thanks so much in advance!
 
A committee letter is the option to go for if your school has a pre-(something) committee. Some schools don't have one, especially if it is a large school. However, a committee letter is not the same thing as a letter from a certain number of instructors. You should check to see if such exists at the school you attended.

From what I heard, if you have been out of school for a certain amount of time, schools may waive the requirement that a certain number of letters be from certain professors.
 
A committee letter is the option to go for if your school has a pre-(something) committee. Some schools don't have one, especially if it is a large school. However, a committee letter is not the same thing as a letter from a certain number of instructors. You should check to see if such exists at the school you attended.

From what I heard, if you have been out of school for a certain amount of time, schools may waive the requirement that a certain number of letters be from certain professors.


Yes, my school does have a pre-med/dent advisory that composes committee letters. I just wanted to make sure that superseded the requirement of having 2 from science professors. Thanks for the reply!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My pre-health committee required 2 science letters. However, one of my science letters was not from a chemistry professor. Schools that required "one biology and one chemistry" letter didn't say anything about it.
 
My committee required 6 letters in total (which is beyond overkill), so it's safe to assume every school is different. I'd definately contact them.