Committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttobeaDMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy holidays all!

I'm applying to dental school summer of 2016. Since I've been out of undergrad for awhile, my LoRs will be from 2 dentists, 1 professor of dental hygiene and 1 from an orgo professor. I've seen some schools list 2 must be from science professors OR a committee letter (which is what I'm doing). My question is if I have a commitee letter, will 1 science be enough (from my orgo prof)?

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A committee letter is the option to go for if your school has a pre-(something) committee. Some schools don't have one, especially if it is a large school. However, a committee letter is not the same thing as a letter from a certain number of instructors. You should check to see if such exists at the school you attended.

From what I heard, if you have been out of school for a certain amount of time, schools may waive the requirement that a certain number of letters be from certain professors.

A committee letter is the option to go for if your school has a pre-(something) committee. Some schools don't have one, especially if it is a large school. However, a committee letter is not the same thing as a letter from a certain number of instructors. You should check to see if such exists at the school you attended.

From what I heard, if you have been out of school for a certain amount of time, schools may waive the requirement that a certain number of letters be from certain professors.

Yes, my school does have a pre-med/dent advisory that composes committee letters. I just wanted to make sure that superseded the requirement of having 2 from science professors. Thanks for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
My pre-health committee required 2 science letters. However, one of my science letters was not from a chemistry professor. Schools that required "one biology and one chemistry" letter didn't say anything about it.

My committee required 6 letters in total (which is beyond overkill), so it's safe to assume every school is different. I'd definately contact them.