Common Interview Questions Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inrevertias

Re Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did some searches, and didn't see anything that directly answered my questions on these common interview questions. Hope someone can offer some advice or point to a thread where they are discussed.

What exactly are we supposed to include in answers to "tell me about yourself"? Life story? Why we want to go into medicine? A little background info? I'm John, grew up in NYC, went to college in XYZ University?

"Why medicine?" Are we supposed to repeat the AMCAS essay? I can answer in 3 sentences if they want a summary, or expand it into my AMCAS essay (and a little more) if they haven't already read it... I can understand this question at closed file interviews, but what is the point of it at open file interviews?

"What other schools did you apply to/interview at?" Do they expect a list all schools? I applied to a lot... Also how would you answer this at a lower-tier school if you applied to mostly higher-tier schools without offending them/putting them off?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yesh, you could summarized your reasoning becoming a doctor in a couple sentances. Question about what schools you are applying to is dumb for an interviewer to ask. I would reply "To all kinds" but avoid naming the schools and the number because it is not their business.

Yea I agree it isn't really necessary to ask where else you have applied/interviewed, but I've seen feedback from interviews from multiple schools that have that question asked.