community college after bachelors degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zkas22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone recently I have been thinking about going to medical school and I just wanted to get some information to see if that is the right choice for me. A little background on me Graduated from Ball State university with a bachelors in Sport Administration in 2015 with a low GPA of 2.89. With that major I have many pre req classes I would need to take in order to apply to med school. I thought my plan would be to go to the nearby community college, mainly because of cost, and take all the science classes I need.

I have read many things while researching about the CC route that range from it'll be okay to don't even try.

Here is some background on why I would want to take the cc route the cost obviously but more than just the cost of the classes also I still owe ( I know its been a long time) for one class that i took in undergrad and without paying that my transcript will not be released. I would prefer to start this process sooner rather than later.

I guess my question is considering the acceptable university I attended, my gpa, and the fact that i want to get my pre reqs at community college will it be nearly impossible to get into med school?
If there are any suggestions of the best route for me to take I am open to them. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience nobody gives a ****. Having said that I don't know how old you are, there are many folks on this site who think they are non-trad when they aren't. Interview well and it won't make a difference where you got the pre-req classes, MCAT will be their guide.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to one of my in-state brand new med schools with a bachelor in music and cc science classes. I think acceptance into med school depends on your grades/Mcat, which schools you want to get into, what your life experience is, and how well you write your statement and how well you interview... not just where you got those classes. If you kill the Mcat, no one will care you took Orgo at a cc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the responses it really helped me a lot! I think I'm going to go for it!

I think you should reach out to some of the admins who post frequently on the forums...you're not just a non-traditional student who decided after a non-science undergrad to change careers. You did poorly as an undergrad and have something to prove to medical school admissions officers. You're going to be competing against grade grubbing undergrads who have near perfect GPAs. Yes, being a non-trad will mean you hopefully have life experience and perspective to contribute to a medical class (and hopefully you can articulate that well in a personal statement and in an interview) but you also need to prove you aren't going to get rocked your first year of medical school and end up miserable because you can't take the rigor of the classes. You're 2.89 makes you a risk and you need to give them a reason to want to take a risk on you.

I have read that many adcoms use the mcat science sections to gauge what you know "now." Therefore....taking CC courses, doing well, then taking the mcat and doing well in the science areas may confirm that you know what you need to "now" regardless of where and when you took the prereqs.

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile