Community College and University at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

94hdogs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am graduating in December and will have a gpa of 3.45 if I do nothing but get A's in my remaining two classes. I want to use this time between now and the start of the next cycle to boost my gpa. My pre-med adviser said to keep taking upper level coursework. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (I'm registered for a September date). I can't really afford to take out more money for a full blown university course load, but I was thinking of attending my university and the community college right next to it (probably like a 5 min walking distance) at the same time. Since the consensus on CC seems to be negative, I wanted to know if I was to get all A's at both the CC and at the university, how would adcoms see this? Would a good performance at the university mitigate the fact that I took classes at CC? What other alternatives are there? I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread or if it was posted already. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

When you concurrently take courses at a 4 yr university and a CC, it appears like you are simply taking courses at the CC for an easy A and to boost your GPA. It is not viewed favorably. Although you state your reasoning is because of financial consideration, I still think it would be best for you to take all of your upper level science courses at your 4 year institution.

In order to help offset costs, you could become an RA, get a job, get a work study grant, apply for scholarships, take out additional loans, or ask your parents/extended family to help you out. Your alternatives would be to graduate from your 4 year school and then take CC classes or online classes in your upper level science classes as a post-bacc.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
if your school lets you do that; I know mine doesn't

med schools understand the money situation; my concern would be why your GPA is kind of on the low side; did you do poorly in your science classes? or was it one semester/year you screwed up, because that could make a difference

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if your school lets you do that; I know mine doesn't

med schools understand the money situation; my concern would be why your GPA is kind of on the low side; did you do poorly in your science classes? or was it one semester/year you screwed up, because that could make a difference

Yeah, they allow something called a dual enrollment, so I would be a guest student at the CC. My guess is since I'm graduating, they don't really care about transfer credits or anything like that.

As for the GPA, I had a bad freshman year because of some depression and because I was new to the whole college thing and didn't know what I wanted to do. Since then, it's been a positive trend upwards, but I still don't think a 3.45 is anything to write home about.

I don't know why it would be a problem. I'm doing it (but I already graduated) because the 4-year I'm taking classes at has ridiculous class times (8 hours a week per class).