Community College Credit Limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about how credit is assigned for people who have exceeded the amount of community college units for a particular school.
Most of the schools I'm interested in have a "maximum number of community credit hours" between 50-70. I completed around 75 units at cc before transferring so I'm over by between 5 to 25 units depending on the school.

How will the extra units be factored into my total unit count?

Will the extra units be counted in my various GPAs? (especially for schools with a credit limit of 60 or less)

Will the classes that put me over the credit limit not count?

In addition to the above questions, I guess what I'm asking is...what do schools mean by "we will not accept any more than __ number of units taken at community college"?

Members don't see this ad.

It means that they will straight up filter you out of their application pool.

You have the exact same problem I did. I had to get a Masters for schools to even consider me.

Yeah... I've wondered this too... I have completed an AA degree. Therefore, exceeded the amount of CC credits for alot of schools, yet I have been going to a 4 year university for 3 years now. I could literally apply only with my university credits and not my AA and have enough credits/prereqs to get in. How does a school handle that situation? It would make little sense to just reject my application because i've completed 3 years of university which will be compairable to the majority of the applicant pool.

It's not like that CC credits are helping me out. My GPA for that school was about a 3.1 while my university GPA is 3.8. I wish I could just omit those credits all together :smuggrin:... hmm maybe I will....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the units in terms of Quarter or Semster Units? I did 90 quarter units at a CC

I'm pretty sure it's in semester units, I could be wrong though.

Depending on what schools you apply to and what kind of CC credits you have, you may be fine. I was also way over the "limit" for CC credits but it did not hurt me (at least not noticeably -- I had six interview invites before I withdrew my app when I got accepted). Of course, other factors also come into play (GPA, DAT, personal statement, etc).

I agree with Quillow. I took 100 trimester-based (58 semester) CC credits to get my AA and took intro BIO and Gen Chem as the only pre-reqs there and took the rest at my 4-year university. All of your credits will be calculated in your GPA but schools want to make sure that you have taken enough of their required credit hours before applying. I think some say 90 credits are needed for applying......

Anyways, I applied to 8 schools and have received 7 interviews so far and I even interviewed at Pittsburgh, who claims that they do not "view favorably upon those with CC credits."

You will be fine but just try to take most of your pre-reqs at the 4-year university/college.

thanks for the responses so far guys. Is there any official literature that talks about going over the cc limit?

Last edited:
Don't worry too much about any exact hard limit - what schools often do care about though is where you took your dental school pre-reqs, but most don't have hard limits for those, or if they do, often they don't always go by them.