Community College Honors Society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Biology major, pre-med here in community college.

They offer an honors society program for people who complete a certain # of honors classes.

My question is, would a med school even care that I took honors classes in community college?

Is it worth doing all this extra work when I could be focusing more on science classes?

Thanks

Edit: Another thing I need to consider is that taking honors classes do help in getting into a 4yr (from a community college).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in an honors society for community college students and I doubt it has made a difference. AED doesn't make a difference either, so why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a community college myself and I reached out to my target medical school, to ask if it would hurt my chances of getting into their program, because of the fact that I am attending a community college. I was told that as long as I got good grades while I was in my community college ( here was the important part) and took my pre med classes when I transferred to my four year university that it shouldn't matter. I hate to hear on this site or in person, someone putting in all that work, thinking they were doing the right thing, only to find out it was all for nothing. If you haven't done so already, reach out to your school(s) of choice as I did and see that you aren't wasting time taking your pre med science courses at a commcol. Good Luck!!!!!

You can volunteer with the honor society and maybe obtain a leadership roll.

If the society actually does real activities it may be good, especially if you can obtain a leadership role. It is also good if it presents scholarship opportunities.

I'm not really sure how valuable it is for getting into a four year program. I guess it depends on which school you want to get into. I think with good CC grades you could get into just about any four year school.

Transferring into a 4 year will aid in it also. when you send your transcripts, at the bottom will be your honor society name.

OP sounds like he is referring to an honors program where if you take X amount of honors classes, you graduate from the community college with an associate's degree "with honors".

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13097516&postcount=6

Don't know the specifics of the OP's honors program, but honors classes show you took slightly more rigorous classes, and it usually gives you access to scholarships, research opportunities, etc. I know a few people who were received scholarships on transferring into the honors colleges at four year universities after graduating with honors associates degrees.

However, if your grades suffer, it will not be worth it. If you think you can handle it, then go for it.

Thankyou for everyone's responses. After reading them, and a few other threads, I don't think honors will be worth the time taken away from studying my science/math classes. However, I will likely discuss this with a counselor to get some more opinions.