Quantcast

Community college Ochem class question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundathighs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So my community college (semester system) offers 2 levels of ochem. They're both 2 parts and both have lab portions, but the only difference is the unit level and the class title. One of them is 4 semester units and is called Basic Ochem+biochem and the other one is 5 semester units and is just called ochem. Problem is, the 5 unit one conflicts with every other class i'm taking, while the 4 unit one does not. Would it be a problem if I took the 4 unit one?

I Love Cats

Reaction score
It could very well be the biggest waste of your time thus far in life if you choose to take the wrong one. If you need the 5 credit one, then there may be nothing you can do about it. Talk to some people who work for the school.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they offer different classes each semester? These classes you mentioned, are they only for summer?

Thundathighs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
They offer both classes for the Fall and Spring Semesters. I've been looking at the med school requirements for Drexel, Albany, etc and several of them just say 1 year of ochem with lab. Both of these classes both have a year of lab and I mean if you calculate the semester units out to quarter units, even the 4 unit basic ochem class will be equivalent to 12 quarter units of ochem at a university.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They offer both classes for the Fall and Spring Semesters. I've been looking at the med school requirements for Drexel, Albany, etc and several of them just say 1 year of ochem with lab. Both of these classes both have a year of lab and I mean if you calculate the semester units out to quarter units, even the 4 unit basic ochem class will be equivalent to 12 quarter units of ochem at a university.
Ask your counselor. Check out the course numbering system. I would go with the 4 credits.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I would take the 5 unit to be safe, but it really depends if your school considers the 4 unit to be the equivalent. I know my school offered 2 versions as well and they were both equivalent for medical school purposes, but they recommended the 5 units for chemistry and chemical engineering majors.

Tappinfool66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's likely that either level would be fine. I don't think adcoms are going to look at your application, then go look at the course guide for the community college where you took the course and think to themselves "He should have taken the other one." Like everyone's already said, though, you might want to check with an advisor or someone else who works for the school and see what they think.