Community college / online extension for pre reqs? (for post-bacc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderachiever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning all, long time no see!

I have spent the last 8 months working as a medical receptionist. It's the most medical exposure I have had since completing a non-science major at UC Irvine with a mediocre GPA. Encouraged by my own physician and the docs/PAs where I work, I am back to the drawing board developing a plan of attack to get into a post-baccalaureate program for premed.

In June 2016 I failed at getting into Mills College on account of low GPA and insufficient exposure to science classes. My time at UC Berkeley Extension was short because in my experience, their standard of education is noticeably out of proportion with the actual UCB institution. Currently I am exploring, however, their self-paced online courses -- not for my med school application, but rather for a post-baccalaureate (so intro bio, bio lab I would assume take an in-person class for at a CC, etc. etc.).

Would greatly appreciate people sharing their experiences with this approach, suggestions, modifications, etc. I am 25 now, and I intend to spend the next year minimum racking up these basic pre-reqs before beginning my post-baccalaureate applications.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't imagine adcoms for med schools or SMPs would look favorably on anything that's described as self-paced.

Part of what you're trying to prove is that you can move at their pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That is an excellent point. I should hope to demonstrate that I can move at a good pace by accomplishing these courses in a timely manner. Thank you for your input.

I don't imagine adcoms for med schools or SMPs would look favorably on anything that's described as self-paced.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd suggest starting at a CC level, basic science, taken at a pace that will ensure success and a 4.0 grade (quite feasible at a CC with low student/teacher ratio and highly accessible profs). So, don't take physics and organic chem at same time... start with chem 101, bio 101... teach your brain how to think science, and build up your endurance, confidence, and skills. I'd also recommend starting a weekend/part time job to start building your resume and clinical hours. Having a good story, and good experiences to talk about will greatly help your application in the long run.

Online courses (as I understood it), are looked on less favorably than community college. They are also likely more expensive and have less support than your community college.

I did this, came from a musical background and started ground level with sciences at my local CC. Was actually accepted into my favored instate school without having to do that post-bac.

Just my two cents, you're still young, have lots of time. Best of luck to you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Not only are they looked on less favorably, but many medical schools actually won't accept online credits for pre-req sciences.

Some don't , some do. If you can move then it's not as restricting. If you're looking to stay local, then check directly with your schools. The response I received from my state school was along the lines of 4 year uni regular semester is preferred but they understand that's not always feasible. My hope is that having something in my app that really stands out will outweigh that. I'll let you know how it goes in the fall...

Greetings all -- I can't thank you enough for your responses and input.

As it happens, I have since withdrawn from Berkeley City College due to personal safety reasons. The area has been a trifle violent these past few months. I attempted to transfer for a different CC in the same system but was unable to do so.

My next big idea is applying to Arizona State University as a non-degree earning student. I am having an exchange with their staff there to see if that school would be a good fit for me. I am hoping to get the ball rolling soon!

Greetings all -- I can't thank you enough for your responses and input.

As it happens, I have since withdrawn from Berkeley City College due to personal safety reasons. The area has been a trifle violent these past few months. I attempted to transfer for a different CC in the same system but was unable to do so.

My next big idea is applying to Arizona State University as a non-degree earning student. I am having an exchange with their staff there to see if that school would be a good fit for me. I am hoping to get the ball rolling soon!

All this jumping around without completing coursework is not going to look good to adcoms. I recommend you take a pause and ensure your next choice is a school at which you are certain you can excel.

Also if you're moving for school you should think hard about which state's residency might favor you. AZ is pretty solid but there are other good options as well. CA is among the worst.

All this jumping around without completing coursework is not going to look good to adcoms. I recommend you take a pause and ensure your next choice is a school at which you are certain you can excel.

Also if you're moving for school you should think hard about which state's residency might favor you. AZ is pretty solid but there are other good options as well. CA is among the worst.

This is very true. Fortunately during my academically fruitless jumping around, I have kept productive in other areas such as relevant full time work and volunteer work.

I have researched AZ, CO, UT, and CA extensively, so to confirm that CA is indeed among the worst for state residency. The non-degree program at AZ is vast with a wealth of classes at my disposal. Will be discussing tomorrow with a pre-health adviser as to how I can most effectively create a 2-year plan. More to come.

This is very true. Fortunately during my academically fruitless jumping around, I have kept productive in other areas such as relevant full time work and volunteer work.

I have researched AZ, CO, UT, and CA extensively, so to confirm that CA is indeed among the worst for state residency. The non-degree program at AZ is vast with a wealth of classes at my disposal. Will be discussing tomorrow with a pre-health adviser as to how I can most effectively create a 2-year plan. More to come.

It sounds like you're getting on the right track now and AZ is an awesome state. Good luck!