Community College Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDK22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else do a post-bac with retakes at a CC? Curious on your experiences in this app cycle or success stories from previous cycles!

I'm worried whether doing this may hinder me from certain schools even though I did well (3.9)...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you get the 3.9 from?

from retake science courses (8) at multiple CCs and additional science courses (A&P, genetics, Kinesiology) at CCs as well over the course of 1 full year (about 80+ credits worth). Calculated as my "Post-Bac science gpa". Was working also in research while doing it if that makes any difference

Members don't see this ad :)
mm.. I would have just done the retakes only (8 x 4 credits) and save the money of the remaining (about 50 credits) for upper level courses at at a 4 year , invest it mcat prep, or save it for applications. Nontheless, a 3.9 of science courses is still a 3.9 and it will be viewed positively by DO schools (perhaps not as much by MD schools if you are applying to them too due to the cc factor) and research is a nice extra to have.

You can see countless stories here on sdn about cc post-baccs either as career-changers or gpa repairers (mainly via retakes) who have successfully gotten admission to MD and/or DO schools. Good luck!!

mm.. I would have just done the retakes only (8 x 4 credits) and save the money of the remaining (about 50 credits) for upper level courses at at a 4 year , invest it mcat prep, or save it for applications. Nontheless, a 3.9 of science courses is still a 3.9 and it will be viewed positively by DO schools (perhaps not as much by MD schools if you are applying to them too due to the cc factor) and research is a nice extra to have.

You can see countless stories here on sdn about cc post-baccs either as career-changers or gpa repairers (mainly via retakes) who have successfully gotten admission to MD and/or DO schools. Good luck!!

Yeah, to be honest I really just wanted to boost my undergraduate s/cGPA over the 3.5 mark so I can get my app looked at (DO schools only). Because I was working, it was hard to work-out schedules with a 4 year. I already took the MCAT (26) and taking online Biochem through UNE now as I'm in the app cycle. Hoping to update schools with an A in this course by December. Would you recommend I tag on another course (was thinking UCBerkeley extension Immunology online)?

Also b/c was quarter system ended up being 8x5 = 40. So 40 credits was genetics, A&P series, 4, Kinesiology courses, nutrition.

Thanks for the feedback

I took all of my prereqs at a CC after graduating from undergrad.

Already have 2 acceptances this cycle with only a 3.5 sGPA and average MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, to be honest I really just wanted to boost my undergraduate s/cGPA over the 3.5 mark so I can get my app looked at (DO schools only). Because I was working, it was hard to work-out schedules with a 4 year. I already took the MCAT (26) and taking online Biochem through UNE now as I'm in the app cycle. Hoping to update schools with an A in this course by December. Would you recommend I tag on another course (was thinking UCBerkeley extension Immunology online)?

Also b/c was quarter system ended up being 8x5 = 40. So 40 credits was genetics, A&P series, 4, Kinesiology courses, nutrition.

Thanks for the feedback

There is without a doubt no need to add an extra class. You are more than fine. The 3.5 far exceeds the all the screenings DO schools have (lowest is 2.75 while highest is 3.25) so rest assure your app will be looked at.

There is without a doubt no need to add an extra class. You are more than fine. The 3.5 far exceeds the all the screenings DO schools have (lowest is 2.75 while highest is 3.25) so rest assure your app will be looked at.

Ok thanks I'm just worried because I have a few upper divisions that I did ok in (Bs) and with my retakes it might be better to take some more to show a more rigorous work load?

Ok thanks I'm just worried because I have a few upper divisions that I did ok in (Bs) and with my retakes it might be better to take some more to show a more rigorous work load?

Chill dude. A 3.5 gpa from anyone implies that there are some Bs in there. Taking 1 class won't do much at this point. A "rigorous work load" is seen by taking a full-time schedule of classes anyways not 1.

Anybody else do a post-bac with retakes at a CC? Curious on your experiences in this app cycle or success stories from previous cycles!

I'm worried whether doing this may hinder me from certain schools even though I did well (3.9)...

Thanks!

I did it. Did almost all prerequisites and a couple retakes at cc. Two pre reqs were online labs. Got multiple acceptances last cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Chill dude. A 3.5 gpa from anyone implies that there are some Bs in there. Taking 1 class won't do much at this point. A "rigorous work load" is seen by taking a full-time schedule of classes anyways not 1.

Ok thanks. I was just thinking that taking biochem + immuno while working part time may help for this cycle given I have 8 retakes in pre-req courses. just trying to cover my bases/make up for my past mistakes to look competitive/competent.

Ok thanks. I was just thinking that taking biochem + immuno while working part time may help for this cycle given I have 8 retakes in pre-req courses. just trying to cover my bases/make up for my past mistakes to look competitive/competent.

welcome but again, you keep coming back to your original idea. Taking a course...or now 2 as you proposed, will have marginal impact on the wholesome of your app. Goro, one of sdn's trusted advisors, and an adcom at a DO school, has stated in various threads that retakes are ok so long as they prove competency. they value the whole "this is you of now and not of the past". If you do search these threads, you'll see folks who have completely retaken every single course on their transcript after some event of importance led them to the path of medicine.

If you haven't taken the MCAT then you should take biochem for that reason only...that and because of the fact that biochem is becoming a requirement throughout many schools.

You might have trouble finding an organic or biochemistry course at most community colleges. Other than that, go for it. Just be aware that if your grades are lower in the CC courses, it will hurt you more than if you had taken them at a university. Basically, if you go the CC route, you'd better be getting nothing but As.

welcome but again, you keep coming back to your original idea. Taking a course...or now 2 as you proposed, will have marginal impact on the wholesome of your app. Goro, one of sdn's trusted advisors, and an adcom at a DO school, has stated in various threads that retakes are ok so long as they prove competency. they value the whole "this is you of now and not of the past". If you do search these threads, you'll see folks who have completely retaken every single course on their transcript after some event of importance led them to the path of medicine.

If you haven't taken the MCAT then you should take biochem for that reason only...that and because of the fact that biochem is becoming a requirement throughout many schools.
You might have trouble finding an organic or biochemistry course at most community colleges. Other than that, go for it. Just be aware that if your grades are lower in the CC courses, it will hurt you more than if you had taken them at a university. Basically, if you go the CC route, you'd better be getting nothing but As.

Already taken the MCAT and looking to take the courses through UNE (med biochem) and Berk extension (immuno) online, respectively. So you're saying that because I've boosted my GPA to a respectable 3.5 s/c I shouldn't be so worried to further show competency of the material? I just figured that taking additional courses beyond the required pre-reqs and doing well DOES have a large impact on an application. But I guess I may be overthinking this.

Out of the 40 credits of repeated pre-reqs and 40 additional science courses that I took at CC , I got all A's except 2 B+s in first two gen chems (bumped up from Cs). will those 2 B+s be considered "red flags"? I'm hoping that my 10 in the PS section can be something to point to.

Appreciate the discussion/feedback.

Already taken the MCAT and looking to take the courses through UNE (med biochem) and Berk extension (immuno) online, respectively. So you're saying that because I've boosted my GPA to a respectable 3.5 s/c I shouldn't be so worried to further show competency of the material? I just figured that taking additional courses beyond the required pre-reqs and doing well DOES have a large impact on an application. But I guess I may be overthinking this.

Out of the 40 credits of repeated pre-reqs and 40 additional science courses that I took at CC , I got all A's except 2 B+s in first two gen chems (bumped up from Cs). will those 2 B+s be considered "red flags"? I'm hoping that my 10 in the PS section can be something to point to.

Appreciate the discussion/feedback.
You'll be fine.

I quote Mad Jack's quote above but with my add-on:

You'll be fine!!! (vigorously shaking OP like a bobble head during an earthquake)

I took all of my prereqs at a CC after graduating from undergrad.

Already have 2 acceptances this cycle with only a 3.5 sGPA and average MCAT

What about you already majored in biochemistry and have graduated with a 3.3 GPa...? what classes do you think I should take from a CC? Any advice? I'm currently trying to study for the MCAT