community college student with some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passportslash

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to become some type of surgeon, but I have a few obstacles ahead of me.

First, I was dx'ed with schizophrenia a few years ago. It put a halt on my studies; I kept taking classes only to withdraw at a later date. Therefore, I have many W's on my transcripts, and even an F which I made up for an A.

I spoke with two medical schools, and they told me I wouldn't be at a disadvantage for having schizophrenia as they cannot legally discriminate.

Next semester I start college again, and I'm going for 12 credits (I currently have 12 with a ~3.9 GPA).

I am thinking that if I do do well in the rest of my undergrad years and do well on the MCATS, I still have a shot at MD schools... I don't want to go into a DO program, nor do I want to not be accepted to medical school.

Should I focus on something in humanities for my bachelors, then go to HES or another school (can you recommend any) for a MS in something and to get the required med school classes?

Thanks,
Craig

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is still high-quality. You have struggled through adversity. You care enough about med school to ask serioius questions about your future and how you can best obtain your goals. :thumbup:

Pick a major that interests you. Take the required pre-med courses. Do well enough on the MCAT to eliminate any doubt that your W's might cast. Be sure to maintain your GPA when transferring to q 4-year university. You should be fine. Good luck in the future.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I hope I can make it into med school. I have contacted one person that runs the neurosurgery department, and I plan to ask him the same questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do well in undergrad and on the MCAT, you do still have a shot at a med school. Why not DO, though? Limiting yourself to MD schools might put you at a disadvantage.

The flag I might see in your application (and I'm not an adcom, so take this with a grain of salt) is that 3.9 at a community college doesn't mean anything in the med schools game. Can you maybe take a couple years at CC and then transfer to a 4-year college or university to get your degree? It's just a question of academic rigor. Perhaps getting a masters before applying would be equivalent in terms of showing that you can handle med school material.

As for your major, seriously, do what you like and what you do well in. Don't be an English major just because it's "easy" -- can you read 3-4 novels a week well enough to participate in discussions, and can you write 1-2 papers a week on those novels? Some people with a "science" brain find it difficult to accept the uncertainties of the humanities, while those with a "hum" brain cannot fathom the point of physics. Try to find a discipline that is both intellectually stimulating and challenging. That's different for different people; you know your own strengths and weaknesses best.

Best of luck to you!

Well, I am only at community college for another semester, then I am going to the Harvard Extension School.

I am choosing my major in philosophy because that's what I want to major in; so no worries there. :)

I was thinking about getting a masters in biotech, or some type of physics before med school, as well.

Oh, I'm going for an MD because not many DO's go into surgery.

Well, I am only at community college for another semester, then I am going to the Harvard Extension School.

I am choosing my major in philosophy because that's what I want to major in; so no worries there. :)

I was thinking about getting a masters in biotech, or some type of physics before med school, as well.

The Harvard Extension School isn't a "real" school, and will be identified as such by an adcom. It is basically a glorified community college. Why not apply and go to a genuine school?

Also, how do you manage your schizophrenia, and will you be able to perform in the high-stress environment of medical school?

What schools would you recommend? U of Pitt has a good philosophy department. I don't know if schools would take me because of all my withdraws.

I can handle the rigors of everyday life where I live fine with medication. I never forget my pills, and I've been symptom free for six months and counting. I've been through a lot of 'stress tests' and I've been able to manage it. I volunteer and I also work at the present.

What schools would you recommend? U of Pitt has a good philosophy department. I don't know if schools would take me because of all my withdraws.

I can handle the rigors of everyday life where I live fine with medication. I never forget my pills, and I've been symptom free for six months and counting. I've been through a lot of 'stress tests' and I've been able to manage it. I volunteer and I also work at the present.

Give it a shot anyway. If undergrad schools don't take you b/c of withdraws (even w/ the explanation of your condition), then MD schools might not go for it either. So this is your chance to make a dry run on that issue and either improve your application for MD schools or reconsider DO. There are DO surgeons, just not nearly as many as are MD.

Congratulations-I know how hard this can be.

I second Future Neuro's advice.