Community College to retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I retake pre-req classes at a Community College while starting a new PTCAS application cycle?

• Yes, Retake anything that is below an A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Supplement GPA with additional classes in pre-req fields such as biology, chemistry, or physics

• Apply to more programs, take more classes if you dont get in

• Total voters

doubletrouble88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided that I wanted to be a PT about 2 years ago. I was already a Human Physiology major, so I was already scheduled to take most of the pre-reqs for most DPT programs. This year I am graduating, and have applied to 5 DPT programs. So far I have been rejected from 4, and am waiting to hear from the 5th. Going to a school that follows the quarter system, I don't graduate until mid June, so I was unable to apply to many schools that start in may or June. I missed applying to a second fairly large chunk of schools because my professor submitted my letter of recommendation over a month after the date we had discussed. I applied to the schools that I did in an effort to not let this round of applications be a waste, and to get feed back from them if possible. I give you all this information because I don't feel that the schools that I applied to were the best match for me or my GPA, and am not particularly surprised that I haven't been accepted. However, I know that my GPA and pre-req grades are low, and with the upcoming start of the new PTCAS application cycle opening soon, I am wondering if I should retake classes at the community college in my city, even though I am not technically re-applying yet. My hold up about this is that my pre-req classes at the school I am graduating from are very tough, (anatomy classes are combined with a human cadaver lab, physics requires a lecture, a discussion type class period with the lecture, as well as a separate lab, and lab lecture) and I know from previous experience at this community college that the classes won't be. I'm wondering if an A in a much lower caliber class will be enough to get schools to over look some of my B- and C+s in classes that were much harder? Knowing how much of a joke the classes that I have taken at the community college that "90% of transfer students get into their UC of choice" makes me really skeptical that I will improve my knowledge or skills, and makes me think I am doing it simply for the GPA boost, which is not necessarily a problem. I just would really like to better myself if I am going to spend months taking classes that I have already taken. Has anyone had difficulty getting in, then retaken a few selected of all of their pre-req classes at community colleges and gotten in? Thanks for any insight!!

Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-req GPA: 2.96
GRE: Verbal:163 Quant:150 Writing: 4.0
Observation Hours: 250 Outpatient, 100 inpatient
Additional Classes: Biomechanics (With Lab), Exercise Physiology (With Lab), Gait Analysis (With Lab), Tissue Injury and Repair (With Palpation Lab), Movement Disorders

Members don't see this ad.

My hold up about this is that my pre-req classes at the school I am graduating from are very tough, (anatomy classes are combined with a human cadaver lab, physics requires a lecture, a discussion type class period with the lecture, as well as a separate lab, and lab lecture) and I know from previous experience at this community college that the classes won't be.

This question has been asked many times on this forum. The short answer is you can take all your pre-reqs at a CC and it will not hurt your application. I took many of my pre-reqs at CC and I learned just as much there. The universities seems to think the more busy work they give you the better your education will be. The classes will be smaller and less expensive at a CC, and they're offered at more convenient times.

Reactions: 1 user
NewTestament, do you think that it is worth is for me to take some pre-reqs over, this summer, while I am applying to some DPT programs for the first time? Or do you think that I should wait to see if I get in anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take some pre-reqs over the summer because you can't assume you will get accepted somewhere. Always assume the worst. It's a good rule to live by.

@doubletrouble88

Be careful and make sure to look at the actual DPT universities you are applying to. I know that my #1 school actually requires anatomy and physiology to be taken at a 4-year university while all the rest of the pre-reqs can be taken at a Community College.