Letter of rec from retail supervisor?

Started by rs37982
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rs37982

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be a good idea to get a rec letter from my retail supervisor? He's known me for over 3 years, can speak to my work ethic and skills (maybe not directly on clinical skills, but I was a great tech/intern and would catch small details and things like that), and would say good things about me. A lot of programs say to or prefer to get letters from preceptors and faculty, and I don't wanna blow my chances either. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
 
Absolutely. If nothing else it would be suspicious if you didn’t have a letter from a boss you’ve worked with for 3+ years.


I think ideally you have letters from your boss, a clinical preceptor, and either another preceptor or a faculty member.



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I am in a predicament and hopefully someone can guide me through this:/

Currently I have secured 2 LoRs; one from APPE preceptor and another from a faculty member who is also my research project preceptor. The third letter is what's troubling me. I have worked at a retail chain for a couple years and my pharmacist is great. But some programs require 2 LoRs from preceptors of pharmacy clerkships or preceptors who can attest to my clinical skills. Because the second letter is coming from a preceptor who is technically not my APPE preceptor (but fits the later part), I am tempted to seek out another LoR from APPE preceptor. But based off of the replies above, I am more tempted to ask my supervisor. Super torn and stressed out with imminent deadline. Any advice would be helpful!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic time at midyear😀

I have look at LoR for residency before. Not including any of your direct supervisor is for me very suspicious. You want to include at least one from your work/internship place. It is the place you work the longest and this will tell the most your capacities to work with others.