Community vs Academic Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUGM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does training at a community program vs academic program affect job outlook significantly, especially if you're planning on pursuing private practice/administration? I would imagine that residency training university programs look better on one's application? Or does it not really matter if you're not pursuing academia?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does training at a community program vs academic program affect job outlook significantly, especially if you're planning on pursuing private practice/administration? I would imagine that residency training university programs look better on one's application? Or does it not really matter if you're not pursuing academia?

Thanks.
My understanding with OB-Gyn is that a university program is more preferred for fellowship purposes - esp. the lifestyle fellowships - REI fellowship, etc.

If you want to be in private practice, pedigree does not matter a huge amount. Clinical ability is key in private practice and being able to handle yourself. You can get this training at nearly every type of program, academic or community. And I'd probably mention that there are probably a few super academic programs who have residents that aren't the most clinically adept based on their residency experience/volume.

If you want to do fellowship or if there is a small chance you would pursue fellowship, then training at an academic program is going to be fairly important. There is a saved thread on matching fellowship that goes into more detail regarding this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be in private practice, pedigree does not matter a huge amount. Clinical ability is key in private practice and being able to handle yourself. You can get this training at nearly every type of program, academic or community. And I'd probably mention that there are probably a few super academic programs who have residents that aren't the most clinically adept based on their residency experience/volume.

If you want to do fellowship or if there is a small chance you would pursue fellowship, then training at an academic program is going to be fairly important. There is a saved thread on matching fellowship that goes into more detail regarding this.

I take exception to the comment "that there are probably a few super academic programs who have residents that aren't the most clinically adept based on their residency experience/volume". I would take a resident trained at a highly acclaimed academic program in a large city over a community program in a small town. Those larger academic programs are in large urban areas who have more chances to see sicker and more complicated patients. Unless you have some inside knowledge on the training programs of large academic centers. Are you a resident in one of these programs? If so, is your training insufficient?

I take exception to the comment "that there are probably a few super academic programs who have residents that aren't the most clinically adept based on their residency experience/volume". I would take a resident trained at a highly acclaimed academic program in a large city over a community program in a small town. Those larger academic programs are in large urban areas who have more chances to see sicker and more complicated patients. Unless you have some inside knowledge on the training programs of large academic centers. Are you a resident in one of these programs? If so, is your training insufficient?

Well, it's a good thing that no one really cares who you would take to begin with. You really have no idea how to judge a physician other than what your typical layperson does (oooh, you trained at Mass Gen, you must be the best doctor ever!). I understand you are a program coordinator, but unless you've been in the OR with a resident/attending, managing patients with them, you're essentially clueless.

I have friends at various programs and have worked with numerous attendings who have trained from a wide array of residencies. From small community programs to large academic programs. On average, you will get good training from a wide variety of programs. Don't get hurt at the truth. It's similar in general surgery where certain academic programs where their residents may have great knowledge but weaker skills (notice that I said certain, not all, please read my response, I only said there were certain programs)

I trained at a smaller community program and my training has been fine. I'm not sure if you're trying to make a dig at me but learn to relax.

Last edited:
I'll have to echo what the last post says.

With respect to the original post, academic programs and "pedigree" will in general get you the upper hand with respect to academic positions and/or fellowship opportunities as often the word of mouth recommendation from known faculty or letters of recommendations will be necessary. With that said, if you're looking at private practice, then there is nothing wrong with going to a long standing community program with the caveat that you'll likely get the best offers locally where the practitioners are familiar with the quality of the program. Lastly, if you're looking at an administrative track (e.g. CMO, CFO), then of course regardless of your training program it is highly advisable that you augment your training with an MHA. MHSA, of MBA degree. Also, try and land position such as "house staff president" and administrative chief resident to show your ability to handle the non-clinical aspects of medicine.

With respect to the last two posts, I do have to disagree with the assertion that a resident from a "highly acclaimed" program might be more attractive. On the contrary, I would actually look more for a county hospital/inner city/busy community program over a traditional "blue blood" academic program as those residents often trained without fellows and had more hands on training, dealt with an equally challenging clinical volume (albeit with less zebras and more horses), and may be a little behind with respect to didactics or academic teaching, but know "survival" in the specialty at hand. With that said, there are good and bad residents, good and bad attending, good and bad bedside skills everywhere. I trained at a solid community program for residency, traditional powerhouse for fellowship, and have learned along the way to look beyond "pedigree" when hiring a partner.

Hope this helps!

Am I the odd one out for not really caring too much about university vs. community programs? I said this to my advisor and he seemed confused. Just about every other aspect of a program matters more to me than this.

Am I the odd one out for not really caring too much about university vs. community programs? I said this to my advisor and he seemed confused. Just about every other aspect of a program matters more to me than this.

Ha, no you're not the only odd one :) I'm looking at programs as a whole also.

How competitive is MFM these days? Is it still considered a lifestyle specialty?

How competitive is MFM these days? Is it still considered a lifestyle specialty?

Reasonably competitive. The NRMP has the match statistics for this past year. Of the 4 main fellowships it has the most spots. I wouldn't consider it a lifestyle specialty in general. Sure some practices are essentially outpatient type practices (mainly ultrasound etc) but I'm not sure how common this is. MFMs are generally hustling in the office, some are more procedure heavy, and also managing an inpatient census as well and depending on the coverage situation they are delivering those patients. Plus, issues with emergency cerclages, dealing with medically unstable pregnant women in the middle of the night is not an uncommon occurrence.