COMP - newbie question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

as an incoming class of 2006er, i know you take the laptops to class, but do students take their books to class too? i got my laptop but am unsure what type of case to get for it. do you use those huge rolling cases for your laptops? a rolling backpack? a regular backpack? seems unimportant, but what do you use? thanks.

JJ

Members don't see this ad.

Strange that I answer this, as I'm a NSUCOMer... yet I did spend some time out there in Cali when I interviewed (thank you Yosh and Tighe!)... so theorectically, I am qualified to answer the question.

I really depends on you. There is one student there that takes all her books with her to all her classes (she has the rolly suitcase thingy) - there are some that just take their notes and some take both. It really depends on how you learn...

-A

Amara,
Good to see you are still around and remembering us....Wanted to wish you the best of luck at Nova....

By the way...your curly red-headed friend says hi...you know the one..from the parking lot in front of my apt....yeah...her

Members don't see this ad :)
JJ,

Most students just took their laptops and their notes, which were usually in a binder. You don't get much room on the counter once you get your laptop set up.

As for what to bring it in, people had either rolling ones or regular backpacks. The people with rolling ones used to it save their backs, but they were also more cumbersome since you have to carry them upstairs as well as try to negotiate the narrow aisles with them. Also, I would tease any male I knew who had one :) So there are pros and cons with both.

Good luck with next year,
Eric

Eric,
Just to clarify, the MS1 Classroom is on the 1st floor....and the stairs problem won't present itself until 2nd year.
As far as the "rolling" bags....Hmmm I have a messenger bag that I use..or a backpack, which is more than sufficient...
Like you said...binders for our notes/handouts is more than adequate for what we need...

Textbooks....as every incoming MS1 buys all these textbooks...YOU WON'T NEED THEM

All you will need is Netter, Robbinson's Path, and maybe Moore's Anatomy for 1st semester.

I ended up buying books so I could read up and do a little extra...and soon came to realize that finding the time to complete what was expected was hard enough...and time for extra....a luxury that never really presented itself...
...and when there was extra time...there was drinking to be done..which the MS2's were ammenable to as well...

Don't buy anything till you meet your "2nd Year" mentor...and we will lead you guys....TRUST ME!