COMP vs COMP-NW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Hound

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to have been accepted at a handful of schools and will need to put a deposit down soon. I really enjoyed both branches of Western-U and am having a hard time deciding which campus I want to attend. Since the curriculum and the cost are the same, I've been focusing more on things like COL and clerkship opportunities. I'm unsure if Pomona is worth the extra cash if I'm pretty much only interested in DO friendly specialties (FM, EM, PM & R, gas, etc). If any current or former students have any input it would be much appreciated. Also, if @Goro could make a recommendation on the regional cuisine I would be forever thankful. In addition to this, just in case I'm making a mistake choosing Western-U, I was also accepted to ACOM, SOMA, KCOM, and UIWSOM. If you feel that one of these programs is superior please chime in! Thanks.

COMP
pros
  • Seemingly better clerkship opportunities
  • More research opportunities
  • Good board scores and residency placements
  • Girlfriend would be able to find a job easier
  • Only a few hours from where I'm living right now
  • Lots of time for electives 4th year
Cons
  • Super expensive
  • Pomona isn't great and I would most likely have to commute
  • Did I mention it's expensive
COMP-NW
Pros
  • Much cheaper COL
  • I'm interested in practicing in the Northwest, so maybe connections?
  • Smaller class size
  • Got that "at home" feeling when I was there
Cons
  • "newer" program
  • SO would have to commute to Albany or Corvallis for work
  • I'm unsure about the quality of rotations/preceptors
  • Not many research opportunities

Members don't see this ad.

I've been fortunate enough to have been accepted at a handful of schools and will need to put a deposit down soon. I really enjoyed both branches of Western-U and am having a hard time deciding which campus I want to attend. Since the curriculum and the cost are the same, I've been focusing more on things like COL and clerkship opportunities. I'm unsure if Pomona is worth the extra cash if I'm pretty much only interested in DO friendly specialties (FM, EM, PM & R, gas, etc). If any current or former students have any input it would be much appreciated. Also, if @Goro could make a recommendation on the regional cuisine I would be forever thankful. In addition to this, just in case I'm making a mistake choosing Western-U, I was also accepted to ACOM, SOMA, KCOM, and UIWSOM. If you feel that one of these programs is superior please chime in! Thanks.

COMP
pros
  • Seemingly better clerkship opportunities
  • More research opportunities
  • Good board scores and residency placements
  • Girlfriend would be able to find a job easier
  • Only a few hours from where I'm living right now
Cons
  • Super expensive
  • Pomona isn't great and I would most likely have to commute
  • Did I mention it's expensive
COMP-NW
Pros
  • Much cheaper COL
  • I'm interested in practicing in the Northwest, so maybe connections?
  • Smaller class size
  • Got that "at home" feeling when I was there
Cons
  • "newer" program
  • SO would have to commute to Albany or Corvallis for work
  • I'm unsure about the quality of rotations/preceptors
  • Not many research opportunities
Tillamook cheese or Mexican food?